Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
post-15123543
Post #46 of 1,157

CobraMan

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is among the most supple stock cables I've seen. Very little noise when worn downwards. Zero noise when worn over-ears.
Hey james444 or CEE TEE - do you know if the DROP offering will have an option for a balanced cable with either 2.5mm or 4.4mm jack?

Oh, by the way, thank you guys for all the great work to bring this offering to the masses!!!

Cheers,
Tim

post-15123898
Post #47 of 1,157

CEE TEE

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hey james444 or CEE TEE - do you know if the DROP offering will have an option for a balanced cable with either 2.5mm or 4.4mm jack?

Oh, by the way, thank you guys for all the great work to bring this offering to the masses!!!

Cheers,
Tim
Hi @CobraMan ,

Thank you for the support! We aren't currently running this at the moment, but this would address both of those plugs in one kit:
https://drop.com/buy/mee-audio-mmcx-balanced-audio-cable-with-adapters

We have a 2-pin version of this that we keep in stock.

If you hit the request button, you will be notified when it is available again or you can find the MEE MMCX online.

Cheers!
Christian

post-15123985
Post #48 of 1,157

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
This is among the most supple stock cables I've seen. Very little noise when worn downwards. Zero noise when worn over-ears.
Good to read.

post-15123993
Post #49 of 1,157

CobraMan

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi @CobraMan ,

Thank you for the support! We aren't currently running this at the moment, but this would address both of those plugs in one kit:
https://drop.com/buy/mee-audio-mmcx-balanced-audio-cable-with-adapters

We have a 2-pin version of this that we keep in stock.

If you hit the request button, you will be notified when it is available again or you can find the MEE MMCX online.

Cheers!
Christian
Thank you Christian - I hit the request for the cable. Have to do some research to see how that compares to the ISN S8/C16/H16 or the Linsoul LSC09/HC08.

Looking forward to the HA-FDX1 - good thing I procrastinated on buying the HA-FD02's...

Cheers,
Tim

Reactions: CEE TEE
post-15125113
Post #50 of 1,157

james444

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
JVC FDX1 Measurements Dump...

Disclaimer: non IEC-compliant, for illustration purpose only. All graphs are diffuse field compensated.

FDX1 filter comparison:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters)

Personal remarks:
  • White filters are equivalent to FD01 stock tuning (all three FD01 nozzles measure basically the same). Too much upper mids and treble energy in my book. Extremely detailed, but fatiguing.
  • Yellow-green filters are "reference" tuning, slightly v-shaped with a touch of warmth, yet still very detailed and pretty close to my idea of neutral.
  • Blue filters are "relaxed" tuning, warmer and more easy-going than "reference". Works particularly well when you're out and about, where a little tilt towards the lower frequencies comes in handy.

FDX1 vs. ER4S:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, orange = ER4S)

Personal remarks:
  • Even though bass seems close, FDX1 has noticeably more perceived punch (DD vs. BA)
  • ER4S has slightly more forward mids and sounds more intimate. FDX1's slight v-shape and better treble extension create a more airy and open sound with larger soundstage.

FDX1 vs. UERM:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, magenta = UERM)

Personal remarks:
  • FDX1 has better sub-bass extension in comparison to UERM's slight roll-off.
  • UERM sounds a tad more intimate due to slightly more forward mids.
  • UERM's highs sound harsher and more prone to sibilance than FDX1's (with yellow-green and blue filters), due to peaks in lower treble.

FDX1 vs. EX1000:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, black = EX1000)

Personal remarks:
  • FDX1's slight bass-lift makes it sound a tad more punchy and "fun" as compared to EX1000.
  • Mids are actually pretty similar, however EX1000's upper mids and treble peaks make it sound rather harsh, particularly on higher volume.
  • FDX1's treble (with yellow-green or blue filters) sounds silky-smooth in comparison to EX1000's.

post-15125158
Post #51 of 1,157

Nabillion_786

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
JVC FDX1 Measurements Dump...

Disclaimer: non IEC-compliant, for illustration purpose only. All graphs are diffuse field compensated.

FDX1 filter comparison:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters)

Personal remarks:
  • White filters are equivalent to FD01 stock tuning (all three FD01 nozzles measure basically the same). Too much upper mids and treble energy in my book. Extremely detailed, but fatiguing.
  • Yellow-green filters are "reference" tuning, slightly v-shaped with a touch of warmth, yet still very detailed and pretty close to my idea of neutral.
  • Blue filters are "relaxed" tuning, warmer and more easy-going than "reference". Works particularly well when you're out and about, where a little tilt towards the lower frequencies comes in handy.

FDX1 vs. ER4S:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, orange = ER4S)

Personal remarks:
  • Even though bass seems close, FDX1 has noticeably more perceived punch (DD vs. BA)
  • ER4S has slightly more forward mids and sounds more intimate. FDX1's slight v-shape and better treble extension create a more airy and open sound with larger soundstage.

FDX1 vs. UERM:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, magenta = UERM)

Personal remarks:
  • FDX1 has better sub-bass extension in comparison to UERM's slight roll-off.
  • UERM sounds a tad more intimate due to slightly more forward mids.
  • UERM's highs sound harsher and more prone to sibilance than FDX1's (with yellow-green and blue filters), due to peaks in lower treble.

FDX1 vs. EX1000:

(red = white filters, green = yellow-green filters, blue = blue filters, black = EX1000)

Personal remarks:
  • FDX1's slight bass-lift makes it sound a tad more punchy and "fun" as compared to EX1000.
  • Mids are actually pretty similar, however EX1000's upper mids and treble peaks make it sound rather harsh, particularly on higher volume.
  • FDX1's treble (with yellow-green or blue filters) sounds silky-smooth in comparison to EX1000's.
So how are the mids in general? Are these an upgrade over the oxygen and kanas pro for vocals? I like vocals sounding very clear, detailed with a life-like tone and timbre.

Reactions: scotvl
post-15125193
Post #52 of 1,157

james444

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
So how are the mids in general? Are these an upgrade over the oxygen and kanas pro for vocals? I like vocals sounding very clear, detailed with a life-like tone and timbre.
I haven't heard those. I think @shotgunshane has heard them and prefers the FDX1.

FDX1's mids are very clear with a slight touch of warmth and a slight tilt towards intimacy for female vocals. Timbre is very life-like and detail resolution is high throughout the frequency range, without any fake detail from treble peaks (with yellow-green and blue filters).

post-15125322
Post #53 of 1,157

shotgunshane

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Agreed. I find both male and female vocals more nuanced and lifelike. More lifelike with better note weight and more nuanced micro-dynamically with small decay characteristics that make perception more dimensional rather than flat.

post-15126033
Post #54 of 1,157

Makahl

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
A bit OT, but does anyone know a good shipping agent in the USA? I'd like to buy it for $250 at presale but my last directly Drop purchase I needed to pay some expensive fee, lol.

post-15126096
Post #55 of 1,157

CactusPete23

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
A bit OT, but does anyone know a good shipping agent in the USA? I'd like to buy it for $250 at presale but my last directly Drop purchase I needed to pay some expensive fee, lol.
Looks to me like Brasil has a 19% VAT and a 16% duty on "accessories". So in addition to shipping, Brasil adds 35%. Is that the "some expensive fee" you mean? You can thank your government for those fees.

- Only way to avoid those costs is to either have someone hand carry when they return to Brasil, and not declare it? Or to have shipper put a lower price on documentation, and no company will do that. (maybe a few in every country will...) But neither method is really legal.

post-15126176
Post #56 of 1,157

Nabillion_786

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Agreed. I find both male and female vocals more nuanced and lifelike. More lifelike with better note weight and more nuanced micro-dynamically with small decay characteristics that make perception more dimensional rather than flat.
Thanks for this! and lastly I also hate vocals sounding recessed, thin or lazy due to too much warmth. Would you honestly say that these are a noticeable upgrade over the kanas pro and oxygen for vocals and soundstage? If so I will definitely get these as my next iems but I just need confirmation.

post-15126198
Post #57 of 1,157

Makahl

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Looks to me like Brasil has a 19% VAT and a 16% duty on "accessories". So in addition to shipping, Brasil adds 35%. Is that the "some expensive fee" you mean? You can thank your government for those fees.
You're right, that goes for $100+ products AFAIK. However, when it's sent via USPS it's a gambling game and sometimes you're lucky and your parcel bypasses the customs. But for courier services (DHL, FedEx, etc..) there's nowhere to run you need to pay all those things so it'd land here costing roughly $500. So my idea is to redirect the package for some agent and then send it via USPS ePacket method instead and... try my "luck".

- Only way to avoid those costs is to either have someone hand carry when they return to Brasil, and not declare it?
Well, if you don't exceed the $500 limit you don't need to pay anything. Also, it can be used as a personal item and you're free to go as well (but you need to throw away the box).

Or to have shipper put a lower price on documentation, and no company will do that. (maybe a few in every country will...) But neither method is really legal.
Yep, that's the default for Chinese big sites and even Brazil has a default fine for those importing smartphones since they land here listed as a $50-100 product, but even the fine makes it worth it since the product ends up being cheaper than buying here, lol. I don't mind to pay for it, but if I can try my luck... it'd be cool in not paying twice for an item. :)

Btw, some guy on discord told me a good service so it's all good!

Last edited:
post-15126354
Post #58 of 1,157

shotgunshane

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Thanks for this! and lastly I also hate vocals sounding recessed, thin or lazy due to too much warmth. Would you honestly say that these are a noticeable upgrade over the kanas pro and oxygen for vocals and soundstage? If so I will definitely get these as my next iems but I just need confirmation.
Vocals sound quite forward due to the upper mid/lower treble boost. Even though vocals are intimate, the FDX1 remains spacious, particularly in depth.

To me, the Kansas Pro and Oxygen soundstages were just average. I know some think they are large, but Andromeda and Solaris are my benchmarks for large. FDX1 doesn’t match those two CFA offerings but does sound bigger than average and certainly bigger than what I recall of the Moondrop and Tanchjim.

post-15127669
Post #59 of 1,157

Returnity

Head-Fier
Reaction score
@shotgunshane Could you please compare these with CA Andromeda (especially regarding the lower end)?

post-15127741
Post #60 of 1,157

shotgunshane

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)