Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #121 of 1,192
Well FedEx has struck again - shipping from Chicago to SoCal - they estimated arrival for Friday (shipped from MusicDirect on Monday) and once again they failed. Lodged a complaint that their estimates are off for shipping. Last time I order from MusicDirect as they only use FedEx and charge an obscene fee for better shipping via FedEx.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #122 of 1,192
Well FedEx has struck again - shipping from Chicago to SoCal - they estimated arrival for Friday (shipped from MusicDirect on Monday) and once again they failed. Lodged a complaint that their estimates are off for shipping. Last time I order from MusicDirect as they only use FedEx and charge an obscene fee for better shipping via FedEx.
Patience, Grasshopper. First thing you learn is that you've always gotta wait.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #123 of 1,192
Patience, Grasshopper. First thing you learn is that you've always gotta wait.
Oh I have patience. But it’s been a trying week at work, so getting a faulty unit, having to ship it back, and then waiting. No fun, but oh well. And then no idea if the new unit will have the same issue. So patience is a little thin.

But let’s keep it on topic. I’ll read others reviews of their units.

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #124 of 1,192
Shucks. I don't like to complain, but I had to return the first DFC because the connector wiggled and the unit rattled internally. Now I have the wiggle with a second one. What gives here? I really am not sure what to do at this point. I don't know if the wiggling is going to be fatal at some point.
Mine is little loose also. I wonder if their initial batch was bad or if it’s ok for them to be like that... ??? It seems to sound ok, but the sound cuts out with a couple of songs off Todal at louder volumes. Not sure if that’s because of Tidal or the DFC. ??

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #125 of 1,192
Mine is little loose also. I wonder if their initial batch was bad or if it’s ok for them to be like that... ??? It seems to sound ok, but the sound cuts out with a couple of songs off Todal at louder volumes. Not sure if that’s because of Tidal or the DFC. ??

I was told through Amazon that an Audioquest rep said the wiggling was a defect. That's what I was told. All I know is that my DFR and DFB are built rock solid with no movement of the usb connector.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #127 of 1,192
I’m definitely having issues with my Cobalt or Tidal. I’ve selected MQA quality and my Cobalt light is green instead of purple. It’s only giving me CD quality. I don’t know if the problem is the Cobalt or Tidal. But I get better sound with the same track upsampled through my music player, KaiserTone.

In fact, it doesn’t matter what quality I choose, it’s always green.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #128 of 1,192
I’m definitely having issues with my Cobalt or Tidal. I’ve selected MQA quality and my Cobalt light is green instead of purple. It’s only giving me CD quality. I don’t know if the problem is the Cobalt or Tidal. But I get better sound with the same track upsampled through my music player, KaiserTone.

Do you have Bit Perfect on?

Also in Tidal you have to select Built-in (not system controlled) in streaming settings (or select the device—for me Mojo).

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #132 of 1,192
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #133 of 1,192

UPDATE: I just called Crutchfield (where I bought my Cobalt from online) and told them about the wiggling issue. Not only are they emailing me a prepaid return label, “they” also “offered” to test the replacement unit before shipping it to me (to make sure there is no wiggle). I am SUPER IMPRESSED by their really amazing (and super nice and professional) service! Hopefully the new unit will be perfect.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #134 of 1,192
UPDATE: I just called Crutchfield (where I bought my Cobalt from online) and told them about the wiggling issue. Not only are they emailing me a prepaid return label, “they” also “offered” to test the replacement unit before shipping it to me (to make sure there is no wiggle). I am SUPER IMPRESSED by their really amazing (and super nice and professional) service! Hopefully the new unit will be perfect.

That is nice of them! I can't help but wonder if they're getting tired of fielding this complaint. Audioquest screwed this one up badly - poor manufacturing, compatibility issues, and incorrect user manuals on a $300 product are totally inexcusable.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #135 of 1,192

Crutchfield is great! I have always liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back