1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by Condocondor, Jul 8, 2019.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last
  1. Tenashus1
    I am going to take one more shot at it by asking Amazon for a replacement.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. Leo
    My replacement unit of DFC that I ordered from Music Direct (2nd Unit) arrived tomorrow - so long as FedEx doesn’t delay delivery (happened on the first shipment). If the unit still has the defect I’ll notify Audioquest who may tell me to just return it to the merchant like last time. If that’s the case I’m done and will stick with my DFR until I hear better news that the manufacturing problems are resolved. Trying to remain positive but it’s waning.

Tenashus1 likes this.
  3. Hifiearspeakers
    That’s unfortunate for all of you that got defective units. My Cobalt was perfect out of the box. LED lights work correctly and nothing wiggles.

Condocondor likes this.
  4. Gus141
    I did email AQ about the LED colors and this was their excellent reply:
    “We are working on updating the Cobalt manual for 96kHz. It is not magenta but more of a light blue. This helps make more of a distinction between the MQA Magenta(MQA Purple) and the previous magenta 96kHz on DragonFly Red and Black. Which looked to close to each other when playing Tidal Masters/MQA. We most likely will have the downloadable manual of our site updated first with color descriptions and then the printed manuals for future production of Cobalts. We apologize about that. There are no firmware updates at this time nor changes. No defective LED’s. It is the manual that needs to be corrected.”

Cheers,
    Gus

5. Saberlarry
    Thanks man, I concur with all of your points. My iTunes purchases are mostly VBR-coded, so that means a song can either range from slightly under 256 kbps to a bit higher than 280. If I recall correctly, they are at least on par or superior to 320kbps mp3 due to being produced by Apple, especially with their Mastered for iTunes programme. Also heard that the difference between a well-coded 320kbps mp3/iTunes purchase and a lossless file is minimal and subtle as well. While using my current IEMs, I can sometimes hear additional instrumental sound in the background but they are quite feeble and would require hard concentration, quiet surroundings and slightly above-average volume. I hoped that the DFR could help me pinpoint those sound better but it was not that significant. I would say from my personal experience, the Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm is a 8.5 while the DFR is 9. Very close and almost no distinguishable differences and certainly not worth $200 upgrade. But well, given the current setup...
    I did use Android phones for a while (S3 and S6, most recently S10+ but gave it away). The stock music app is indeed bad, at least when you compare it to the default Apple's music app. I had to install mods like Viper4Android and tweaked around a bit.
    And yes, I love music. Given 30 minutes to try out a product at a store with people around me, it was definitely not comfortable. It's like I was creating pressure on my own and if I somehow didn't buy it (which I did), I would be judged by the vendors. Stupid and weird thought I know.

6. Hifiearspeakers
    Most iem’s have a very low impedance and are very easy to drive. So because of that, they don’t scale well. If you used a Dragonfly with a fulll-sized pair of headphones that require more power, you’d hear a much more significant difference. If you own any headphones that have at least 50 ohms of impedance and/or fall on the lower side of sensitivity (below 95 db’s), then do your A&B with them.

Saberlarry likes this.
  7. Saberlarry
    I understand that as well, that's why I mentioned "technically", if anyone's interested in specifications of my IEMs, could you tell me if the DFC is going to complement them? Here's the link: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/astell-kern-billie-jean.php
    As English is not my native language and they use a lot of terms and jargon, I cannot fully understand everything.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  8. Haden2866
    Deftone and Condocondor like this.
  9. teknorob23
    slightly off topic but you've peaked my interest re the lavricables CCK substitute. Is this really a thing because i cant see it on their website. I have their lightening-usb micro cable to use with my iphone/hugo2 and its really good. I'm really hoping this is a thing and i've not just missunderstood your post! :wink:

10. Haden2866
    549C65C4-DDB8-40D4-B780-634E7EEE64B9.jpeg
    I don't know, let's ask it.
    ARE YOU A THING?
    No answer.
    Konstantin is pretty flexible - I asked him to make one and it arrived from Latvia two days later.

11. teknorob23
    whether it can speak or not, you've made me a happy man, well nearly, dare ask how much it cost?

12. Haden2866
    You may dare ask. However I won't even admit to owning one, much less how much it cost. If you break it down per centimetre it will make you cry. The Lavri Cables website will give you a ballpark for similar Lightning cables.

13. Hifiearspeakers
    It only has 18 ohms of impedance and a sensitivity over 100 db’s. So it doesn’t really need amplification which is why you don’t hear much improvement.

14. teknorob23
    yes i think i spent about £100 for the lightening - mojo/hugo 10cm cable. Sad thing i probably will spend similar on this, just please dont tell my wife :wink:

15. Haden2866
    She'll love it. Comes in a little jewellery bag and everything. So cute. So silvery. So soundy.

pilgrimbilly likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last