Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #91 of 1,192
Don't hold your breath waiting for the price to drop. Audioquest doesn't do that.
In the meantime, there is the Hifimediy S2 for $89:

https://hifime.uk/S2-DAC

No automotive paint job but still an ES9038Q2M and with an added optical input too and you can buy 3 for the price of a Cobalt. I wonder how they compare.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #93 of 1,192
My best advice in learning what to look for is to listen, just relax and listen to the music. I think the best advice I've seen is to not listen to how it sounds, but to pay attention to how it makes you feel.
+1

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #94 of 1,192
I'm loving my new Cobalt a ton but one weird thing that it's been doing is it seems to sound much better coming out of my laptop than my ipad with better volume to boot. And listening to Spotify on the same settings it lights up blue from the laptop and green from the iPad, think there's any reason for this?

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #95 of 1,192
Hi def on
A couple of people responded in an Audiophile Style forum that they also see LED behavior that doesn’t match the manual. At least I know it’s not a problem with my DFC.

The LEDs seem to match well for me on TIDAL, but on Qobuz hi def shows green or sometimes white/very light blue (?).

The Qobuz LEDs really puzzle me.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #96 of 1,192
I hope this LED issue isn't indicative of a lack of quality control or even insufficient pre-production testing. If the hardware is OK this may be fixed with a firmware update...assuming Audioquest is paying attention.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #97 of 1,192
I really think somebody should email AudioQuest about it. The only way to know for certain is to ask.
I'd do it myself, but I haven't got the DFC yet.
Like I said, they may not even be aware of the problem yet.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #98 of 1,192
I hope this LED issue isn't indicative of a lack of quality control or even insufficient pre-production testing. If the hardware is OK this may be fixed with a firmware update...assuming Audioquest is paying attention.
Shucks. I don't like to complain, but I had to return the first DFC because the connector wiggled and the unit rattled internally. Now I have the wiggle with a second one. What gives here? I really am not sure what to do at this point. I don't know if the wiggling is going to be fatal at some point.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #99 of 1,192
I really think somebody should email AudioQuest about it. The only way to know for certain is to ask.
I'd do it myself, but I haven't got the DFC yet.
Like I said, they may not even be aware of the problem yet.
I did email them. I also emailed them about the wiggle and rattle in my first unit. Now I get the wiggling on my newly received one. Potentially problematic? I don't know quite what to do at this point. The DFC sounds quite good. Somewhat smoother perhaps than the Red. ?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #100 of 1,192
I think it's definitely problematic. Wiggles and other inappropriate motion can cause internal wear which could cause failure in the future. This is a $300 unit, quality control should be much better. Can you spell "R-U-S-H-E-D--T-O--M-A-R-K-E-T"?

Jul 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 1,192
I did email them. I also emailed them about the wiggle and rattle in my first unit. Now I get the wiggling on my newly received one. Potentially problematic? I don't know quite what to do at this point. The DFC sounds quite good. Somewhat smoother perhaps than the Red. ?
What was their response?
I think if I were in your shoes I'd contact them again to tell them you have the same problem on the second unit. Then, depending on their response, I'd be inclined to return it for a refund and wait till there's a second manufacturing run and the kinks have hopefully been worked out.

Also, as somebody that worked for a decade in customer service, please don't demand anything. Demanding rarely gets you anything more than you would get by asking politely, it just makes the service person's job more unpleasant. And if there's a manufacturing problem, they're already way, way more stressed and upset about it than you are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back