Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #137 of 1,192
I'd be interested in knowing someone's impressions of the DFC versus the Schiit Modi Multibit or the SMSL SU-8 (which uses the same DAC, but one per channel). I was using the Red on my main home audio system for a while, then moved over to the Schiit and, finally, the SMSL

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #140 of 1,192
Anyone here to comment on DFC hissing with low impedance IEMs?

DFR hisses quite a bit with my SE846, while most of the smartphones or iDevices are dead silent.

Did they fix this with DFC?

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #141 of 1,192
If I'm not mistaken, the Sabaj DA3 consumes 5 times the power of the DFB, and one of the benefits of the DFC is it's lower power consumption. Even if it works with iOS or Android, it might not be a good portable solution.
I think the DA3 does work with some Android phones, and I haven't yet found information on it's compatibility with iOS, but a lot of my search results are in a foreign language right now.

I'm not saying that the DA3 isn't an excellent DAC (without regard to price), but it's got a different use case than the Dragonfly Black, Red, or Cobalt. The DA3 looks like a better laptop/PC companion than a smartphone DAC.

I'm more interested in the Cobalt for the power savings and portability, which are very much more in Dragonfly's favor.

The Sabaj DS3 is a much better DAC than even the DF Cobalt, I've tried them all. It does consume more power, but I still get more than 10 hours on my Mate 10. It's larger, but not much.heavier, the sound alone is worth it. Try them all you'll see what I mean.

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #145 of 1,192
I’d be interested in reading comparisons to the Pro-Ject Pre Box Digital S2, which uses the same dac chip as the Cobalt and does MQA. The pro-ject’s headphone output is supposed to be worthless, but I’ve read it compares favorably to the Red with speakers. Wondering if the pendulum swings back in the Cobalt’s favor compared to the Pro-ject when used with speakers.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #146 of 1,192
Anyone here to comment on DFC hissing with low impedance IEMs?

DFR hisses quite a bit with my SE846, while most of the smartphones or iDevices are dead silent.

Did they fix this with DFC?

Just got the DFC today and listening with the CA Andromeda IEM. I had the DFR before and had to use IEMatch to eliminate the annoying hiss which the Andromeda picks up so easily. Now with the DFC, the hiss is almost gone and no need to use the IEMatch. Initial impression of the DFC vs DFR is that DFC is almost noise free compared to the DFR and DFC has better details and clarity, which gives it more sound stage (or head space?) with better imaging and layering.

I really like the DFC, especially since there is no need to use the IEMatch to rid the hiss! Can't wait til I have a proper listen after burn-in of the DFC.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #147 of 1,192
Well got my second unit from MusicDirect and it has a wiggle/rattle too. So back it goes. I’ll wait until I can find a local dealer and buy one. For now I quit and will stick with my DFR. Sorely disappointed in QC issues.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #149 of 1,192
Wow, I usually refrain myself from early-adopting for these reasons, but would've thought a USB stick would be an exception to that. Guess not.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #150 of 1,192
Well got my second unit from MusicDirect and it has a wiggle/rattle too. So back it goes. I’ll wait until I can find a local dealer and buy one. For now I quit and will stick with my DFR. Sorely disappointed in QC issues.
Sorry to hear. I'm receiving my third one tomorrow. I've decided I'll keep hitting em until I get a good one. Not only do I get to hear the DFC in the meantime, but I get to play this little QC game at the same time. What fun. I think there's actually a rhythm to it: receive one, send it back, receive another, send it back, receive another...It makes its' own music. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back