Downgrading from Super.fi 5 pro's to Head-Direct RE0?
Nov 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Nuks

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have had UE super.fi 5 Pro's for probably 3 or 4 years now and loved them. However, they broke a while ago and were replaced by full-size AKG's, which was fine at the time as I never listened to music on the go. Now that I travel on the subway to work, I need a good pair of IEM's again. Unfortunately, I moved twice in a few months and can't seem to find my broken UE's anywhere (they could be in 4 different cities!). I realize now that I can probably fix the UE's for about 40 bucks, as they would just need some recabling, so I have desperately been trying to track them down to no avail.

Having said all that, I guess I'm in the market for some new IEM's, but my price limit is considerably lower than the $200 UE's (probably max 100). I have heard good things about the RE0's and am curious if anything in this price range would seem like a "let-down" after listening to the UE's for so long? I don't know whether to continue the hunt for my old IEM's, or just move on with things and buy a new, cheaper pair.

My tastes are always changing, but for the last 8 months or so have been listening to mostly bass-heavy electronic music, so I would love IEM's that have a big (BUT TIGHT) low end. No super.fi EB's or anything... clarity and tightness is much more important than a big boomy low end... I just want to have ENOUGH bass. However, I listen to a load of very different music, so they would need to be do it all well.. I'm not too concerned with accuracy, and I won't be wearing them for too long at a time, so fatigue isn't an issue. Again, my price range is probably max 100.. Are the RE0's a good buy, does anyone have any alternate suggestions, or should I just hold off and hope my super.fi's turn up in some corner of my apartment?

Thanks all.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 26
Yep, RE-ZERO is probably better for you than RE0 (no, they are not the same thing). Also, things have change a lot since the Super.fi era, RE0 (or RE-ZERO in this case) might be cheaper, but it doesn't mean it is automatically a downgrade.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 26
As another thread on the front page states, the super fi 5vi are $67 on Amazon.  I'm sure the bass isn't as good as the pros, but for $67 you can probably live with the difference.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 26
 The super.fi 5vi's look promising, especially at that price. Anyone have an opinion on sound quality/bass quality between the RE-Zero's and the super.fi 5's? Also, has anyone used both the regular 5's and the 5pros?

Thanks for the answers so far everyone.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
 The super.fi 5vi's look promising, especially at that price. Anyone have an opinion on sound quality/bass quality between the RE-Zero's and the super.fi 5's? Also, has anyone used both the regular 5's and the 5pros?

Thanks for the answers so far everyone.

There is some discussion comparing the RE0's to the 5's in this thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521176/wow-super-fi-5vi-67-on-amazon-worth-it-or-get-turbines

I dont think too many people who have heard both would actually really recommend the Super Fi 5's. I certainly wouldn't unless you had a really really awful weak source player. Considering that the RE-Zeros are considered at least as good as the RE0's, if not an upgrade, I think the comparison would still be apt.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 26
 Hey thanks for the link, that's a great help.... shifting back towards the RE's after reading that.

I'll also maybe clarify my desires by saying this.. I don't want an earphone that neccesarily increases bass, but one that can handle the large amount of bass that's already on a lot of my tunes. A lot of the music I've been listening to recently is very bass heavy, and so maybe the headphones don't need to increase the bass, but make what's already there sound good... not sure if this helps at all, or if it makes any difference, or if it even exists!

Anyway, thanks for that link a_recording.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 26
 Going to throw the Brainwavz M3's into the mix.. have been reading up on them and they seem like they may be what I want.
Anyone have any reason to suggest the RE's or the super.fi's over these? They are cheap, seem to have a great overall sound, adequate bass, good build quality (something the super.fi's never had) etc. I think they might be the ones...

Also, I'm coming from AKG K271's and don't mind their sound at all, though I do wish they had a little more bass as I find I'm always eq-ing it in. Anyone have experience using both the 271's and any of the above mentioned IEM's?

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 26
He did. He recommended the Hje-900 which i would second. In terms of bass, I prefer it to the re-0. The hje-900 however has the treble a little high which i think is cured by the foam mod. If you like a more balanced headphone go the re-0 or re-Zero path. If you prefer a slightly heavier bass and recessed mid go for a hje-900. Both however are very good for $100. Pls note i am a newbie so take caution over what i say but this is my personal opinion.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 26
Sorry, you're right, he did! I didn't check.. thanks for the secondary opinion, these are now at the top of my list.... seemingly what I want, plus a brand name with good history.. plus I can get them on amazon!

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 26
dont buy the re0 if you want bass

go for the hje900

re0/zero are not for bass lovers.

bass-heavy iem's  are like women with big tits.neutral iem's are like women with classy looks.

to each his own i guess , but i think you are made for the hje900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back