Downgrading from Super.fi 5 pro's to Head-Direct RE0?
Nov 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...listening to mostly bass-heavy electronic music, so I would love IEM's that have a big (BUT TIGHT) low end... clarity and tightness is much more important than a big boomy low end... I just want to have ENOUGH bass... I'm not too concerned with accuracy

From these statements we can possibly guess that the RE0 are not for you
tongue.gif

I'm very happy with my RE-ZERO and I tend to find that they can certainly dish out the bass when they want to, but tinny and bright tracks WILL sound tinny and bright. They're also probably one of the best deals in audio, but only if you like the signature.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 26
The RE0's sound fantastic, and have more than enough bass when amped. Just for normal portable use though, if you are at all concerned about bass quantity I would go for something else. One quality that makes the RE0's fantastic for electronic I must say though is that they are very fast.

Besides the Panasonics I've also heard good things about the (not often mentioned) Audio Technica CKM90 which I think you can find at Audiocubes on sale. The CKM90 is AT's top end dynamic and apparently a bit like the RE0's but more bassy and musical.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 26
Um, I don't think the situation with the RE0's bass is that bad. They may not have stellar sub-bass extension but with the right tips they are pretty adequate. I can amp them off a little uDAC2 and get the right amount. And I do like bass and have bassy earphones - the CKS70 and the DDM. It sounds like you had a bad run with them...

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 26
I own both the RE0 and super.fi 5 pro. The RE0 isn't like the super.fi 5 pro. Not the slightest. I actually enjoy both, but I know what each are for. Going from such a bassy headphone like the super.fi 5 pro to a RE0 may even intensify the lack of bass.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 26
I found a neat mod was to increase the amount of foam in the nozzle. With more foam and Monster Supertips, the bass is close to where it should be even unamped. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 26
 Anything I buy will be unamped... I almost pulled the plug on the Panny's today.. going to give it some more thought tonight and then probably buy tomorrow. My ipod audiojack just gave out on me (you have to fiddle around with it to get audio out of both channels) so I'm also out an extra 60 bucks.. oh well.. no point to buy cheaper headphones to only upgrade again in a few months.

It's probably going to be the Panasonic's unless I have a revelation in the next day.
Since my tastes change often, how are the Panny's with music that doesn't have much bass? tinny?

Thanks again everyone.

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #25 of 26
Another vote for Pana HJE900. I actually also lost my beloved UE 5Pros that I enjoyed for few years. For the replacement I first with Phonak Audeo which are extremely nice but I found them to be too subdued and polite after UE. I understand that in general sound signature RE0 and Phonaks are in a similar balanced and neutral class.

So I jumped to Panas and love them - big, hooligan, bassy and very fun sound with a little recessed mids and sometimes too hot treble. Reasonably wide soundstage and awesome instrument separation. Very well built and comfortable. And all yours for just $89 total at J&R!

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #26 of 26
Head Direct RE0 are unpleasant headphone when not properly amped.
They sound boring and lifeless from all the low-fi mp3 players i've tested, like Cowon Iaudio 7, 9, J3 , Iriver E200, Iphone 3GS. Nearly no bass body at all. There is some bass in there, but it is very low volume, so that you almost can't hear it in your music.

For a year of usage I’ve been constantly searching and testing these phones on every single source I met. Very small changes in bass region. It was always not god enough and week. . Even Audinst HUD MX1 Amp wasn't able to bring the right bass out of them. BUT recently I’ve met the right device for these headphones. It was  Teclast T51. On this device,  RE0 brought out some really incredible performance.. No bass complains at all on that device.. It was almost perfect for a portable unit. I was shocked couse the sound had simply blown me away. Night and day difference. Haven't heard Hifiman 601 though...
So, be careful with these RE0… If you own Teclast T51, you’ll possibly get the best bang for buck sound available… If not, skip RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back