Downgrading from ES7
Aug 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dukespecial

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First just wanted to say what a great community it is. Absolutely priceless information in this place and good people from what I have read. I used to be on here many years ago but forgot my username and email I used! However in my time here I got pointed towards investing in some ATH-ES7's and they were brilliant (if uncomfortable), sadly I had to sell them last year.

Now I am moving to America next year which is when I will really look at getting some 'great' headphones but as my other IEM's keep on getting stolen by my partner I was thinking of picking up some cans on a budget (but also have one set of IEMS in the lineup) to last me to the better purchase. I have been reading around and have narrowed it down to the following, if you could give your feelings towards what I have and noting the price range of each item it would be much appreciated as I am having a bit of trouble deciding between them.

Might be worth mentioning they will be mostly used indoors but I will want good isolation and to be able to take them outside with me from time to time. Coming from the ES7's anything will be comfortable! The list is as follows:

AKG K450 £42
Phillips Cityscape Downtown £50
Panasonic RP-HTX7 £32
ATH-WS55 £65
SoundmMAGIC E10 £35

If you have any suggestions let me know, trawling through the forums earlier at this price range there seemed like the way to go but there is such a wealth of information it was hard to consume it all!

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 5
I did see the CAL but I feel that that due to the shiny exterior and general size of the cans that they would not be suitable for wearing outside, for me personally. If they were of a similar shape and size to the ES7 they would have probably been a contender for me.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 5
They're very portable IMO. Another one to look at is the ATH- SJ5. I haven't heard the SJ55 though. The headphone responds well to EQ also. That said, the CAL has better sound quality IMO while the SJ5 has slightly more isolation.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reply. After reading the extensive IEM thread I decided to go with the CKM-500 and they are quite something (plus you seem to get more sound for your money with IEM). I am still looking out for some over ears in the future however. I think I will probably end up going with some ES7 again in the future and buy some padding for that ridiculously uncomfortable headband.

I was wondering just how good the sound quality of the SQ5s were however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back