Doping your gf into an audiophile
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

mrAdrian

Headphoneus Supremus
Girlfriend got addicted to this hobby thanks to my ms1000... But I of course won't give it to her.

The k240s looks oh so beautiful, and it is quite affordable. Just wondering how would they fair against each other.

Need to take my ms1000 back from her!!

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 70
Minor bump. Would you ever poison your boyfriend/girlfriend into audiophilogy? Discuss

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 70
music is not a hobby. music is life man.

the k240s it pretty nice. it does have mid-bass bump which on some tracks can color the midrange adding too much warmth. other then that they're great starter headphone but i have no idea how they compare to the ms1000. what's your price range?

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 70
That's harsh. 

I tried getting my girlfriend into headphones but she doesn't want to spend the money on this stuff...  She's not really a hobbies kind of person.

I'm perfectly fine having my own hobbies anyways.  I don't know, I'm impartial.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 70
It was funny seeing her commenting XD Maybe I should start posting on the Non--audiophile reactions post.

But today my friend came to visit us and to pick up his new UE earphones (I bought them for him). Then my gf was showing him my ms1000, telling him to try some acoustic songs on them instead of pop and I was like haha!

I bought her a pair of ts02 because she loves wood (born to be part of us!) She isn't using any head-fi terms for now but to put it this way she is considering a home rig. Right now I guided her to a Hifiman express HM101 DAC -> AKG k240s but we are just talking about it.

The ts02 is having too much bass for her liking I'm guessing. She liked my friend's new ue600 as well as my ms1k. I guess bass is not her priority. She mainly listens to jap pop, canto pop etc.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 70

Quote:
Dude I no longer have my Dt880 600ohm and my Ldmkiii, and not cause they sound good but cause they look cool according to her.

Ouch. I'm trying to convey how shiny things would sound better than grados. Spent too much time modding the ms1k they are my absolute baby and my gf could not steal my love over them!

Quote:
Oh man, bad times ahead
smily_headphones1.gif

I once thought it would be a great thing, so she can understand my spendings... Now it is more like 'If you are worrying about a cable upgrade, don't you reckon I need a DAC too?'

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 70
My girl only likes my XB500's, not enough to buy one though. Everything else sounds 'boring' to her. Besides the dt770, hasn't tried them.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 70
Sup audiophile bros...

I'm well on my way to turning my GF into an audiophile. My first conquest was explaining how horrible itunes/apple is with their business practices. To prove it to her, I copy pasted a song she bought from her computer onto mine and showed her how I couldnt play it at all. After that, I introduced her to Winamp and a fully properly configured Milkdrop Visualizer.

I got her to ditch all of her itunes crap music and go through her library and cut out all the stupid pop crap she listens to in horrible 128kbps ringtone-level mp3's she downlaoded some of it as. Then I got her to copy paste all of her music that was .m4p into one directory and .m4a into another, and .mp3 into yet another. After this, we converted all of her bought .m4a into .mp3 320kbps (preserving at least SOME of the quality). Now that she has nothing but .mp3 and .m4p, she is going through and redownloading .m4p's as .mp3. After that, she's going through and properly tagging her library to make it decently organized.

This is a weird roundabout way to get her addicted to high quality audio, but hear me out. I also introduced her to Dubstep using Nero's Reality. I thought I didnt like dubstep until I listed to that album. She has listened to it via my Audioengine A5's with a 600 watt 10 inch subwoofer. She's also listened to some of her other music through my Monster Turbines, which completely rocked her world.

I plan to give my turbines to her once I can afford a pair of Audio Technica ATHm50's or something better. I havent listened to any proper on ear headphones ever. Closest thing is my bose on ears and those hardly have the SQ of 30 dollar in ears.

My gf only has an iHome as her speakers in her dorm room, so I plan to get her completely addicted to high quality audio with my modest rig and then get her some fancy presents at opportune times. I also demonstrated the difference between my laptop's built in Sigmatel C major audio card vs an AMB Gamma 1 f++/ Gamma 2. You can literally SEE the frequencies my computer misses out on as the speaker cone moves back and forth. The difference is also audible with the subwoofer turned on.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 70
Solution..marry her and keep your hp's forever. lol

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 70
Honestly I hate the turbines. They sound great but they have such horrible build quality issues (casing glue, driver flex, cheaply built plastic microphone controller thing) that I dont even want them. Given that my alternatives are my meelec m11+ and my completely overused (to the point of the driver being worn out) Bose On Ears, i'd rather just listen to the turbines until I can afford the next pair of over ears and keep using my meelecs for lawnmowing/working out. when that happens, i'll send the monsters in for warranty repair and give the brand new set I get back to my GF. By the time I can afford new HP's i'll have all of her music in at least 320kbps mp3, which is more than good enough for the turbines anyways.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 70

Quote:
Solution..marry her and keep your hp's forever. lol

I've got my headphones as well as a permanent gf called my wife. But where'd my freedom go?

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 70
But what do everyone think about the setup? HM101+AKG k240s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back