Does my Itouch first gen limit my headphone capabilities?
Jul 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

krisfnbz

New Head-Fier
I have been in car audio for quite some time, but now that I am walking and talking the train/bus alot more I find myself listening to my itouch alot more these days.

I will make this brief as I appreciate your help guys.

I have the volume on my itouch set the highest it can go. I know the quality of MP3's and such will differ in the type of quality I hear through my headphones(sennheiser hd 202's), but does the ipod itself limit my headphones from achieving max "quality" and "loudness(spl)"? My headphones are rated at 115db, which is pretty loud.(I know some companies can over rated and etc) but sennheiser from what I have known has always been pretty good with their products, even though they are mainstream.

I have seen some advertisements on portable headphone amplifiers, whats the deal on those? The sennheiser hd 202's were $25 bucks(really not shabby for 25 bucks), and I am most likely going to end up going up to their more high end headphones(because I am a true audio junkie), but I don't want the headphones to be limited(waste of money), however I also don't want to cause loss of hearing. Car audio is a completely different area for me, so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Kris

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 13
well.  here's the thing.
the amplifier section in most portable players are really only meant to power ear buds and the like.

so, a larger headphone with larger drivers will not be driven to its fullest potential with portable players (of today).

however, i think one of your biggest concerns is isolation, whether you realize it yet or not.

you don't want to be deaf by age 40, so it's best that you find headphones or IEMs (in-ear monitors) that block out the background noise around you while you are on the train or bus or walking...

i would venture a guess that the "max volume" on your portable while sitting at home in a quiet space would be ear crushingly loud.  but, while out and about it seems that you have to crank it that loud to hear the music.
and guess what?  this is doing some major damage to your ears.

so...  i would look into very isolating headphones.  something like a sennheiser hd25.  or in ear monitors.
or active noise cancelling if you wish...

then, once you can hear the sound quality you're getting, maybe then explore improvements.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 13
That is quite likely I would say.
The amplifier built into the iPod Touch is not the most powerful one, and hence it might very well limit the capabilities of your HD202s. As they are larger and harder to drive than earbuds and small portable headphones the iPod Touch is meant to be paired up with.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 13
On hearing loss: Find an appropriate and enjoyable volume when the background is quiet using your desired 'phones.  Then never move the dial beyond that setting regardless of the environment. It can also be handy to normalize the volumes of your audio files, using something like ReplayGain.  The threshold for hearing loss from an acute "BAM!" incident is not so common.  The threshold for continuous over-exposure from near-field or in-ear volumes is surprisingly easy to hit in daily use especially if your environment is noisy.

On headphone amplifiers: I personally find them to be overrated for portable use.  Most of the cans that really benefit from good amplification are beyond what I would consider practical or enjoyable as portable headphones.  I don't want $200+ headphones on the bus, open designs are inherently flawed in a noisy environment, I like to fit my portable gear in my pocket/bag...etc.  I think a lot of the drive towards amplifiers here is due to people wanting to have "better" sound from their existing source/transducers...when they have not really explored the various alternative headphones to begin with.  My favorite upgrade?  Change of location :)  To me, this is the best feature of portable audio.  Good music under a shady tree on a beautiful day with gentle breeze--better than any amp upgrade I've heard.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 13
You make a good point while I am at home it is louder, without all of the train, bus noise and what not, however some of the tracks I am listening to are not of the greatest quality so I am sure that has something to do with it as well. However while at home the volume to me is not ear killing, maybe on a few tracks it is just about right, but on some the volume is lacking. I think I will end up looking into some higher end headphones as I knew I would eventually.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
That is quite likely I would say.
The amplifier built into the iPod Touch is not the most powerful one, and hence it might very well limit the capabilities of your HD202s. As they are larger and harder to drive than earbuds and small portable headphones the iPod Touch is meant to be paired up with.

-------------------------------------------------------

THat is what I thought, I figured the built in amplifier that the itouch had was pretty weak and meant to be used with the earbuds provided.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Okay so based on what I have been reading I should first upgrade my headphones with some noise canceling design, or IEM. I should also improve the audio quality of the files I am listening to before exploring into headphone amplification.

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 13
From what I read though IEM are not suitable for great bass response compared to over the ear noise canceling headphones. Bass is a huge thing for me as I listen to alot of rock and rap.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Most people here don't like the noise-canceling headphones - they have a way of removing the noise as well as a bit of life from the music. IEMs are a much better option for isolation, anyhow. I don't use them that often, but even my old e3cs are better than any noise canceling headphone that I've tried.

I'm not terribly versed in IEMs, but have heard a few with loud bass. You should try a few before you write them off, because they're really your best option.

I don't see much of a point to portable amplifiers. If I want to be truly portable, I use an iPod with IEMs. It works well and I don't have to carry anything else. I don't take full-sized headphones into public because they're a pain and I wouldn't be able to enjoy them. Further, I haven't heard a portable amp that betters a $10 receiver found at the Salvation Army. There's not enough power. If you need to take an amp from one stationary position to another regularly, there are plenty of smaller desktop solid state amps that can be put into a backpack or briefcase along with an extension cord.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Most people here don't like the noise-canceling headphones - they have a way of removing the noise as well as a bit of life from the music. IEMs are a much better option for isolation, anyhow. I don't use them that often, but even my old e3cs are better than any noise canceling headphone that I've tried.

I'm not terribly versed in IEMs, but have heard a few with loud bass. You should try a few before you write them off, because they're really your best option.

I don't see much of a point to portable amplifiers. If I want to be truly portable, I use an iPod with IEMs. It works well and I don't have to carry anything else. I don't take full-sized headphones into public because they're a pain and I wouldn't be able to enjoy them. Further, I haven't heard a portable amp that betters a $10 receiver found at the Salvation Army. There's not enough power. If you need to take an amp from one stationary position to another regularly, there are plenty of smaller desktop solid state amps that can be put into a backpack or briefcase along with an extension cord.

Thank you for your reply. I really dont mind big headphones out in public. I carry a backpack where ever I go, and don't need the smallest most portable equipment, I don't mind as long as I am not carry a full home amplifier on my lap. I think I am going to end up trying out the PXC 350's as they seem to be the top notch Noise canceling full sized headphones that fit over your ears. I will decide if I can notice a drastic changing difference in quality of the music and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back