Do you still use a portable CD Player??
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, i remember Woolworths ,years ago!!!
I loved that store as a kid. I got a parakeet there, hermit crabs, playdoh, all kinds of toys and school supplies. Memories.
My friends mother used to work there and my friend used to go there and ask for money and we would buy candy there.

OK, you're an old dude like me. The Woolworths in Plainfield, NJ had a lunch counter. I remember sitting there and having lunch with my Dad.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, I don't use them much any more.

I still have a Sony D-E775 sitting right here on my desk, but rarely use it. I say sadly because it had a really nice sound and there was just something about size and style I liked. It even has optical out, which I used for recording to minidiscs. Minidisc, another technology I'm sorry to see fall into disuse.

I had a lot of cassette tapes too, but I never missed them one bit when CDs took over.

But now, MP3 has taken over. It's just too easy and convienient to go back to anything else.

Don't worry, I own 2 silver D-NE700 CD Walkmen, but exclusively for the purpose of being a vital part of my "try before you buy" setup (with silver RM-MC33EL and MDR-V700DJ cans) for hustling my AK47 CDs, DVDs and (coming soon) my new AK47 "Handicap Rap" t-shirts I will be coming out with early next month.

As for MiniDisc (and Hi-MD for that matter), I still use it today, but exclusively in the home, my HMW Studio One, and in the car, it is so much more convenient that CD or cassette, and I even use MD to record either my 77+ minute super-compilations of certain artists, or my vinyl collection, both mostly for the purpose of uploading (with my MZ-RH1) to SonicStage 4.2 CP and from there to my "go to" unit, the NW-HD5 in silver (at ATRAC 3 Plus at 64K), complete with RM-MC40ELK remote and either my cling-wrap-modded MDR-EX90SL IEMs, or my MDR-NC60 NC cans and Fiio E5 amp.

(Right now I am listening to the original version of "Blue Monday" from New Order as I am writing this)
L3000.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a lot of cassette tapes too, but I never missed them one bit when CDs took over.

But now, MP3 has taken over. It's just too easy and convienient to go back to anything else.

I abandoned cassette tapes when CDs entered the scene, I didn't even have a tape deck for my home audio system. Then last year I got an Onkyo deck with Dolby HX Pro at a yard sale. Wowzers, tape tech has improved mightily since Dolby NR! I buy used tapes at yard sales for 10 to 50 cents each, and have a good time with newly found music. For the same reason, I keep a TT and a VHS player.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #19 of 65
pmartel, can you tell us the model number. Wouldn't mind keeping a look out for one on fleabay.

I used to have a top range Technics PCDP but swapped it with someone for a PDA when they were becoming all the rage back in the early 90s. Then I got in to MD when it first launched and used to ship kit to the UK from Japan as it wasn't available here when it first launched over there.

Wish I still had that little PCDP as I really loved it!

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 65
I still use them occassionally. I have a few Sony's (D-33, 34, 35) that are considered low-level vintage PCDP's and some other models & brands from my vintage PCDP-buying craze days. They all have nice-sounding line-outs so, when I pair them up with my Headroom Total Airhead, I get a very nice little desktop rig, indeed. The CD format is not quite dead, yet. Tiny CD players aren't, either.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, you're an old dude like me. The Woolworths in Plainfield, NJ had a lunch counter. I remember sitting there and having lunch with my Dad.

We had those here in Toronto, in fact Kresge's used to have lunch counters here and they were wonderful.

Hey, maybe we should start those up again and sell meals at those prices.

Sorry, off topic, but at 51, brought back memories

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 65
I have several PCDPs in my collection. And yes I do use them quite often. These PCDPs are vital part of my music listening routine. I received my first iPod last X-mas from my wife. Even with those losssless files, I still prefer sound of PCDPs on many occasion. The only thing my iPod provides me is the convenience factor.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 65
I don't own an ipod or other mp3 device. My CD collection is huge. When I want to travel with music, my Sony Psych is al I need (with extremely sensitive/low impedance Sennheiser HD280s.)

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #28 of 65
Hey can you post the link to the ebay sale? Is that allowed?

Then again shipping to the UK and the rubbish £ to $ probably makes it uneconomical to buy
ph34r.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 65
Yeah, overseas shipping would kill the value of the auction.

So its a US only situation.

Right now one CD player has a whopping bid of $1. The other has no bid.

And these are pretty reasonable units!

There seems to be limited demand for uncompressed digital audio (sigh).

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be limited demand for uncompressed digital audio (sigh).

You don't need a PCDP to listen to uncompressed digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back