Do you still use a portable CD Player??
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Aerotec

New Head-Fier
I grabbed a load of CDs at our local Woolworths (99 year old retail chain in the UK that went bust and finally closed up today
frown.gif
) and want to chill out and listen to them but can't be bothered ripping them just now. And want to be in a different room to the home CD Player.

So apart from using my laptop I am actually thinking of being retro and picking up a cheap portable CD player on eBay!

Does anyone here still use them? How do you rate the player you have and which model is it?

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 65
I still buy cds, but don't have a portable. I buy used cds for an average of $5, rip them into FLAC (and then MP3.

This gives me three ways to listen to my music:

1) cd in the car or home
2) FLAC directly out of the computer
3) mp3 out of a DAP

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 65
Sony makes some good portables. My son still has and uses the $50USD Sony player I got him several years ago. I don't know which model it is though. I'm using a Discman D-50 with my headphone amp. Not sure how old it is, but it's one of the first Sony portable CD players sold in the U.S.. It works great and even plays CD-Rs.

Edit: the D-50 is my Garrard TT, the CD player is a Sony D-T3.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 65
Sadly, I don't use them much any more.

I still have a Sony D-E775 sitting right here on my desk, but rarely use it. I say sadly because it had a really nice sound and there was just something about size and style I liked. It even has optical out, which I used for recording to minidiscs. Minidisc, another technology I'm sorry to see fall into disuse.

I had a lot of cassette tapes too, but I never missed them one bit when CDs took over.

But now, MP3 has taken over. It's just too easy and convienient to go back to anything else.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 65
I do. Recently I purchased an old stock of Panasonic SL-CT700 from a camera shop. That PCDP probably has been sitting there in their cabinet for 3-4 years. I bargained with them for a dirt cheap price of $35 (considering the unit is pretty much still mint/unused). So when I am at home I will grab the PCDP and use the optical out to my DAC+Amp and the sound is as good as can be expected from a CD rig. But they stay at home for sure because my H120 optical out is still more portable.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 65
Yes. I love my panasonic. I use it all the time. I haven't heard a lot of PCDPs in my time, so I couldn't offer much in the way of guidance. There are plenty of threads about the finest that sony offered. Research as best you can!

Nylan

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 65
Quite frequently still, though never really portably (on the move). I have a Sony D-NF600 in a drawer at work that I sometimes (well, quite often actually) use there and one at home for the bathroom. So quite frequently really, mostly for my reasonably numerous MP3-CD compilations.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 65
My old Kenwood demolishes anything I've heard in portable music playing.

I still use it while laying in bed.

Warm, dynamic, detailed.

I keep threatening to buy an outboard DAC with optical input to hear the real beauty of this player.

It amazes me how Kenwood never got the recommendation they should have for PCDP's.

Worth seeking out!!!

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 65
Wow, i remember Woolworths ,years ago!!!
I loved that store as a kid. I got a parakeet there, hermit crabs, playdoh, all kinds of toys and school supplies. Memories.
My friends mother used to work there and my friend used to go there and ask for money and we would buy candy there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back