Do you secretly respect Beats?
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #196 of 338
In all honesty, beginning of the summer I was seriously considering gettings Beats Studios. My friend put me off on them saying they were ****, from there I was hell-bent on SkullCandy Aviators. I then discovered these forums, and V-Moda. Today I only possess a pair of V-Moda LP2s which I plan to return to them for a refund after the holiday season in order to obtain the money for a pair of M-100s.

I ordered a pair of Klipsch Image X10s off Amazon, which have no arrived yet but I can hardly wait for them.

If I had the money I would spend almost all of it on headphones and IEMs. I really wish I had the money to get some Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, or Sennheiser HD 598s 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #197 of 338
Quote:
I dont know...but at my college it seems like 4/5th of the people there have their beats headphones.... It kinda makes me sick to my stomach lol... but sometimes ignorance is bliss. I personally dont respect the makers of Beats, as I feel its a con... A quick story lol,  One of my friends let me try his Beats Studio's...and they felt so clunky...wobbly.... After taking a brief 20 second listen I simply took them off and smiled back...as I didnt want to hurt his feelings (they were 300 bucks....hard to tell someone they got scammed) But what I did was take back out my Audio Technica [size=small]ATH-ANC23 earbuds and let him listen to them, flipping the noise cancelling switch...and he literally lit up(though I think he more or less enjoyed the noise cancelling feature :p ). He told me that he didnt know earbuds could have so much bass( Thats mostly what he was into), I then proceeded to ask him if he could hear the singer well, and he nodded his head....Then we had a little conversation about headphone / earbud quality that hopefully made a little difference for the future....[/size]

[size=small]*story over*[/size]

You should post that in the "non-audiophile reactions" thread. Good story.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #198 of 338
Quote:
In all honesty, beginning of the summer I was seriously considering gettings Beats Studios. My friend put me off on them saying they were ****, from there I was hell-bent on SkullCandy Aviators. I then discovered these forums, and V-Moda. Today I only possess a pair of V-Moda LP2s which I plan to return to them for a refund after the holiday season in order to obtain the money for a pair of M-100s.

I ordered a pair of Klipsch Image X10s off Amazon, which have no arrived yet but I can hardly wait for them.

If I had the money I would spend almost all of it on headphones and IEMs. I really wish I had the money to get some Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, or Sennheiser HD 598s 

Monster Coppers arent all that good tbh.  Much better stuff out there for the price.

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #200 of 338
Beats are not really for listening to music,more a futile attempt of mostly intellectually limited people with no style confidence(but enough money), to gain a "coolness" status!
They also wear designer rags,watches etc. while driving a european sportscar with a trophy girlfriend on the passenger seat.
We are talking sportstars,filmstars and the lot... admirered by their fans trying to be like them....I mean,if a headphone can help in this endeavour of personal fulfillment,I am all for it!
wink_face.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #201 of 338
Also, by the way, wanted to post this. Saw it somewhere else on head-fi. Laughed for about 5 minutes straight.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #202 of 338
Looking through this, I have nothing to say that hasn't already been covered... Great minds think alike.
If every pair of the beats were to drop $100, that I think would be reasonable. I also think the Studio's need to play passively.
But honestly, the biggest problem I have with them is their exxageration.
"The signature Beats by Dr. Dre sound profile delivers pure audio integrity for crystal clear highs, signature bass and sonically true mids."
If they would leave out statements like that and drop their prices, I would honestly respect them. They just brainwash people into thinking their headphones sound the best out of anything, thats my main gripe.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #203 of 338
My path went like this: Beats Solos (immediatly returned they sounded god awful, worse than my earbuds) -> m50 for a while -> AKG q701 (hated it returned about a week later) -> Pro 900 (was good enough I kept it) -> Got an hk 3490 reciever and it brought my pro 900 to life, till the bass caused the wire to detach from the driver >.< I bought a soldering iron so if it happens again I can fix it myself.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #204 of 338
My path went like this: Beats Solos (immediatly returned they sounded god awful, worse than my earbuds) -> m50 for a while -> AKG q701 (hated it returned about a week later) -> Pro 900 (was good enough I kept it) -> Got an hk 3490 reciever and it brought my pro 900 to life, till the bass caused the wire to detach from the driver >.< I bought a soldering iron so if it happens again I can fix it myself.
I hope you can fix it! :xf_eek:

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #206 of 338
I meant I hope he doesn't overheat the drivers or anything. It happened to me on cheap $3 headphones while learning soldering, temp was way too high!

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #207 of 338
To be honest, I think most beats buyer don't think it's over price because they buy it for all other reason and music quality is their secondary reason to buy. Kind of like buying a Rolex etc. as long as the music quality is acceptable to there ears then that is all that is needed as far as audio need and the rest is popularity, looks, comfort, and their friends has it etc.

Of course here, we value something else.. The opposite, music quality first then everything else. Come on be honest, some of the headphone we value can looks ugly like the ad700. :D don't catch me wearing that in public.

Who cares if people like beats, it's their money. To be honest if somebody gives me the beats to listen to when I don't have my headphones then sure I'll listen to them, would I buy nope. If that makes them happy then good for them as long as it makes them happy.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #208 of 338
Alright, I will give my story as well :) And my opinion afterwards.

STORY BEGINING
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My journey into hi-fi began last May. We were playing football on the pitch. After a while my "friend" (no really sure about that status... I hate his personalities so "used to be" perhaps) appeared on the pitch wearing the Studios. I looked at them and tey really looked nice, partially lid up, basically a stylish pair of HP. I had a short listen and I was wowed by the deep, thumping bass.
I asked him about them and he said tey are great and sound really good.
Well I was decided I want to buy them too. He said he bought them off ebay for 300 pounds I think so I processed there to bu them right away because I really thought they were really sexy and they played some good music.
Luckily, I have decided before buing them, I should probbly check the web first just to be sure. Many websites, incl. some "adiophile ones" gave them 9/10 but then I ve stumbled across a random website where the Beats gained some infamy.
They were criticised for their sound presentation and overly present bass.
The next link took me here and this is esentially what saved.
After a very lengthy research and impressions (these were solely from our beloved head-fi community) I thought the Pro 900 were for me.
They offered the same great bass gooness but a better overall balance and pomised much better listenin experience, albeit slightly more expensive.
My Beats friend tried to convince me but I started to realize there might be something fishy in all this. And I wanted to diferentiate from the masses.
(Also, do understand that there was  and still is no advertising for them here. I would think its an American thing and that simply EU was mostly avoided)

So I bought a pair of the Ultrasones Pro 900 in a local store, roughly for 500 bucks and even later bought the Fiiio E11 for it.
Of course they blew his out of the water, in literally except for the thumpiness in bass, but the bass had much better texture overall. It aso blew out his future and most recent purchase, the Beats Pros and these are in the same price range (smaller soundstage, still less balanced and very uncomfortable for me)
He was desappointed and I was happy. This is exactly what he deserved for being a sheep (he is quite an evil person too so he deserved it...)

At the beginning I was very satisfied with the Pro 900. But eventually I started to delve into audioplile stuff deeper and realized they were not what I seek)
Back then I wanted strong bass, which I was given in spades but I started to find flaws with the HP. The higs were still very aggresive and the mids recessed.

So I steered away from my previous criterias. Now I wanted solid bass, but not necessarily that strong but I also wanted a flat neutral natural and less fun, if you will, headphone. With good non harsh highs and full balanced mids.

After months of looking and asking for help/impressions (again right here:) I changed opinions many times. From Denons (which were originally meant to be substituted for the Pro 900 but unfortunately just turned to discontinued and the new line was in no sight back then(which brought dubious results, but I wont comment on that)) all the way to HifiMAN.
I considered the HE-500 then HE-5LE and finally the HE-6. A fellow headfier here did extensive listening comparissons for me and therefore I had to mention him as without his help I woudnt probably be where I am now)

And here I am with my newly bought HE-6. Do I feel lik I ve gone through a lot? Definitely. Do I think it was all worth it? Absoluelly. I am fully happy with the HE-6 as it offers everything I ve craved for (review coming soon :)) Now this is a HP I believe every audiphile should hear at least once in his life, but I will leave that up to you guys :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STORY END

Now what I think about Beats (courtesy of Monster cable) now?

I really think one might admire them from a business stand point. What they did marketing wise is pretty formidable. Although I did not notice the promotions here. My Beats friend as a celebrity adorer (footbl, modern music,etc) suer noticed and I reall believe he was one of the affected by this marketing.

From the other pow, I think it did more worse than good. This friend now dont really want to know the truth and he wont admit the ear-clear results and I am sure he also doesnt want to give up his accessory HP.
It affected more people here. Here n there  I still meet people wearing Bs and they all seem to be really proud about it and I dont think you can change that in them or only in a few. They wont listen.

In conclusion, I believe the deal is off now and that Monster cables are back to making cables and non-Beat headphones, which are much better sound wise in my experience. They look similar but sound much better and more blanced.

All in all, I hate Beats for all the bad things it has caused or the misinformation it tells... and the thanks to them spreading opinion that bass is above all... please I used to think that too but I now know that deep, detailed yet not overpowering bass is much better than that thumpy, bloaty bass that completely ruins the whole FR and thus the whole song as well... House parties being the only exception :D

Hopefully this whole Beats obsession/bias will end one day and those people would eventually want to find something beter sonically when the hype will be gone.

Oh well, one can dream but probably some other brand will take its place and we ll be at the beginning again. BUT one can hope, no? :D

Just my story and two cents :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #209 of 338
This is just another comment I want to make, I went to target today and saw the beat executive that I never even knew existed. Looking at them for like five minutes and I thought the built quality was good, can't comment on the sound though. Their headband look well stitched with good cushion, the earpad was really soft and thick, and the who headphone fram was made out of some kind of metal. I thought they were really comfortable considering they were sort of a mid size or smaller full size headphone.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #210 of 338
Eh. I've always thought the the Studios are comfy. They also sound really muddy and bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back