Do you secretly respect Beats?
Dec 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #331 of 338
Having more bass impact than some people prefer adds to the depth and detail and at 38 it's not just teenagers that enjoy it old timer JK.

Lol, my views have changed since then. Quite an old post. I personally enjoy bassy sound signatures (i have a signature dj currently), i dont care much about signature preference.

My point with my most recent post is that beats are basically designed with a sound signature that is unique and bassy - by marketing themselves as the best as well as having such a unique signature, they easily distract from actual sound quality/performance. You could get better technically for the price, but the amount of marketing prowess that goes into these makes them seem superior to anything else.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #332 of 338
Lol, my views have changed since then. Quite an old post. I personally enjoy bassy sound signatures (i have a signature dj currently), i dont care much about signature preference.

My point with my most recent post is that beats are basically designed with a sound signature that is unique and bassy - by marketing themselves as the best as well as having such a unique signature, they easily distract from actual sound quality/performance. You could get better technically for the price, but the amount of marketing prowess that goes into these makes them seem superior to anything else.

The thing that confuses me about the bassy sound signature argument is that it's a poorly done bassy sound signature. I worked at a store that sold off their whole line (rhymes with snapple) and all of them had sloppy, slow bass. The solos also distorted quite a bit, from what I remember. They line has been upgraded since, but not drastically from what I understand.

Many other manufacturers also have bassy signatures, but well done. Example, V-Moda. Although not my cup of tea, the m100 are far better than the Beats Studio and retailed at the same price (and can now be found for much less.) V-Moda isn't alone, either. Sennheiser came out with the Urbans and Momentum, and several others now have bass and/or fashion oriented headphones. Most all of them are built well and sound better.

Beats are a tough sell, in my opinion. There are just too many other great basshead options for equal or less money. Also,  I recently read an article of the current gen stating they are made of parts adding up to $17. Lame :-/ I know the materials in the others I mention above are far superior.

the competition has a better build, better sound, why go Beats?

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #333 of 338

The thing that confuses me about the bassy sound signature argument is that it's a poorly done bassy sound signature. I worked at a store that sold off their whole line (rhymes with snapple) and all of them had sloppy, slow bass. The solos also distorted quite a bit, from what I remember. They line has been upgraded since, but not drastically from what I understand.

Many other manufacturers also have bassy signatures, but well done. Example, V-Moda. Although not my cup of tea, the m100 are far better than the Beats Studio and retailed at the same price (and can now be found for much less.) V-Moda isn't alone, either. Sennheiser came out with the Urbans and Momentum, and several others now have bass and/or fashion oriented headphones. Most all of them are built well and sound better.

Beats are a tough sell, in my opinion. There are just too many other great basshead options for equal or less money. Also,  I recently read an article of the current gen stating they are made of parts adding up to $17. Lame :-/ I know the materials in the others I mention above are far superior.

I have had bad to mediocre bass tuned headphones even from major brands so I am not complaining.

I have had v-moda and consider beats better as sales/market share indicate but to each their own.

Production cost have only been estimates so assumptions about parts quality aren't taken seriously. But premium headphones do have a higher than average profit margin.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #334 of 338

That's your personal opinion.......................my opinion is that the only good sounding V-Moda headphone ever is the M-80 and all the rest are crap. I've had the XS, M100, M80, and LP 2 and given a choice i'd pick Beats over all of them any day of the week. 

People forget that Beats have been available for demo and every single store where they're sold, because they're confident that when people hook up they're smartphones, they'll be the best sounding cans in the store. This has been the case since 2009. 

it seems to me that if someone thought their headphones sounded like crap they would avoid letting people actually hear them at all costs. But no, Beats single handedly made the in store headphone listening rack popular. Sure there were headphone listening racks in a few high end audio stores, but now they're EVERYWHERE. 

I personally know people that will swear on their families lives that Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world. The thing is since their inception Beats have been the loudest, most powerful headphone that you can hook up to a smartphone and audiophiles don't understand that all the other headphones in the store until recently have sounded weak in comparison.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #335 of 338
@inthere well said.

The bass quality in beats is substandard for the price for sure. But people care alot less about the quality, and alot more about the quantity. In the price range there aren't as many headphones that have the same amount if quantity that these have, and most of the ones that there are have only been introduced after beats became popular.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #336 of 338
@inthere well said.

The bass quality in beats is substandard for the price for sure. But people care alot less about the quality, and alot more about the quantity

They are used by some people in the music industry(not just rappers)and by the majority of the consumer market but they are expensive common with premium headphones

Just because we prefer more bass quantity than some others doesn't mean we aren't picky on the quality, given how much people spend for better bass in headphones,cars,home speakers,etc.  

I just see it as the evolution of sound and music, some people may have trouble understanding or not like/agree with it which is fine

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #337 of 338
I've never tried Beats and I'm not clued up on headphones much at all. I'm very inexperienced. But whenever I read or hear about Beats, it make me think they're the Call of Duty of headphones. Not necessarily a bad headphone, not a great one either, but in so many online discussions, someone will come in and slap it down on the table and **** on it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #338 of 338
  I've never tried Beats and I'm not clued up on headphones much at all. I'm very inexperienced. But whenever I read or hear about Beats, it make me think they're the Call of Duty of headphones. Not necessarily a bad headphone, not a great one either, but in so many online discussions, someone will come in and slap it down on the table and **** on it.

I enjoy cod though as I do beats. I know no game or sound signature is everyone's cup of tea, which tends to cause fanboyism "this is better than that or that sucks,etc" but I never take it seriously when it comes to pop culture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back