Do I REALLY need an amp?
Jan 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
Since you've eliminated the GR07, the FXT90 is an option under your budget. The Ortofon e-Q5 runs a little over your budget but follows the RE262 type of sound signature with no amp requirements, and is to me top tier sound at a much lower price bracket than the other top-tiers. As for RE262, I believe you'll still be happy with them out of a typical DAP. They certainly are not going to sound bad, but if I were you curiosity will soon get the better of me with the eternal question of "how much better can these sound?"
biggrin.gif
Thus triggering the descent into the spiral of madness that is head-fi
tongue.gif

Perhaps you are right, sir. Anyway, I think I'll go with the RE262's and try my luck. Worst case scenario, HifiMan has a 30-day return policy. I'll have to consider getting one of those mini amps off of Amazon one of these days as well. Are there any around the size of the Fiio E6 that are even better?

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #18 of 21

Quote:

That's interesting, for the price of the E6 I may consider it for occasional use but most of the time I won't be using one as it's easier to just grab my phone and a pair of IEM's.

First off, THANK YOU for your awesome guide. I have to say it was  the thing that helped me the most on the entire site over the last few days and really does a great job of consolidating all the best IEM's for newbies like me to make a decision :) And anyway, like I said, the E6 is an option if I'm going to be in a long car ride or on an airplane or staying in a hotel or something comparable, but most of the time I'll just be grabbing my IEM's and my phone as I walk out the door. So would I benefit more by choosing a different IEM based on the assumption that I will not be using an amp? Would the UE700 (my second choice before discovering your guide) or another of HifiMan's products sound better without an amp than the RE262 would?

Understood. It sounds like an amp will improve any IEM's performance. Do you happen to own the RE262? If so, I'd love to hear your perspective on how the difference would be perceived by a newbie and not a vet audiophile. Is the RE262 still one of the best IEM's without an amp or does it only live up to its name when combined with an amp?

That's another reason I would preferably NOT like to bother with an amp all the time. Like I said, I've never ventured into the world of high-end gear before and would rather not complicate things on my first setup. All I want to start off is a REALLY good pair of IEM's that sound fantastic even without an amp. Any suggestions? Or would the RE262 be perfect for me?

3 months ago I was like you, a newbie who read the 225+ IEM guide wondering whats going to be best for my iPhone4S with mp3s, except i bought the RE0 first and loved them, then i bought the RE262, and I also bought the E5 out of curiosity. So from a person with very limited experience (i don't know why you would want this type of opinion.... haha), I'll give you my thoughts.

I was at first lazy and did not carry the E5 around, but today, i carry the E5 with me 80% of the time. My first listen with the E5 i didn't notice much difference, and i was like what a waste of $$, this is dumb, I'm not going to carry this around, maybe ill leave it on my desk at work. The problem was when i left work, I could immediately notice something missing when i wasn't using the E5, but my ears would adjust in 1-2 minutes and the earphones would still sound great. So basically to answer your question yes they will still sound great, but you will eventually want to know if they can sound better.

Quote:
curiosity will soon get the better of me with the eternal question of "how much better can these sound?" 
biggrin.gif
 Thus triggering the descent into the spiral of madness that is head-fi 
tongue.gif

So true, this forum is bad for my wallet.... 

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #19 of 21
I haven't read all but:
From all the IEM's I've heard, none of them needed an amp.
I NEEDED an amp, as I was deaf lol.

So I needed them to go louder (nothing to do with the drivability etc)
So I got voodoosound by supercurio, and that was a amp function.
Ever since I got that I never used my E5 amp (voodoo sound is free for me on the s1, but i paid for the full version with kernel options)

Then I got the ZO2...and with the beauty of the sound it gives and by that I mean fullness of the music using smartvektor, no fiiO gave me that, nor did my in-built amp on the s1.

So ever since, I use the ZO2 with everything.

So my recommendation is:
If you want something to go louder, just get a cheap amp like the e5/6

if you want something that changes the sound, whilst amping a little then the ZO2 is great.
Found the E11 just like the e5, but with a bit more customisation options and better driverbility.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
I haven't read all but:
From all the IEM's I've heard, none of them needed an amp.
I NEEDED an amp, as I was deaf lol.

So I needed them to go louder (nothing to do with the drivability etc)
So I got voodoosound by supercurio, and that was a amp function.
Ever since I got that I never used my E5 amp (voodoo sound is free for me on the s1, but i paid for the full version with kernel options)

Then I got the ZO2...and with the beauty of the sound it gives and by that I mean fullness of the music using smartvektor, no fiiO gave me that, nor did my in-built amp on the s1.

So ever since, I use the ZO2 with everything.

So my recommendation is:
If you want something to go louder, just get a cheap amp like the e5/6

if you want something that changes the sound, whilst amping a little then the ZO2 is great.
Found the E11 just like the e5, but with a bit more customisation options and better driverbility.

did you feel that the z02 isnt very transparent? or that is it?

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
did you feel that the z02 isnt very transparent? or that is it?

I'm not one that uses a lot of terminology, nor knows it.
My understanding of transparent is:
What the source plays, is what you hear after it has gone through the amp.

If my definition is correct then no, the ZO2 isn't transparent.
It adds a warm-esk sound and more so adds "fullness" to your music.

I realised this A/Bing between the E11 and ZO2.
Thus the E11 to me sounded cleaner...but quite boring and useless for my needs.
I never wanted an amp, nor a bass booster - i wanted something else.
And the E11, nor the E5 offered that to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back