Do Grados Look Ugly? Or Do They Look Cool?
Feb 4, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #48 of 91
Well i really like the how the Grado's look. It's kind of retro. Like a vintage car. But new.

I honestly don't understand what people see in the Beats (who are said to be good looking headphones). To me they look like the most generic looking plastic headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

I like the look. Its more futuristic, looks more digital than analog.

Well each to their own :)

I have in mind to buy a pair of HD800s but not until 2014 most likely because I am so happy with my AKG K702s.

When I bought my AKG K702s a couple of years ago I was actually planning on buying the HD800s, however I didn't want to buy them without listening first and I was so busy at the time, so I thought, I'll just get the much cheaper K702s instead, which I bought online without listening.

When I first listened to the K702s I was stunned by how good they were. Really fabulous and so I put off buying HD800s for some time.

Well a couple of years later and I still love my K702s and they just seem to fulfil my musical requirements so well that I still haven't got around to the original plan of buying HD800s.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #50 of 91
Well i really like the how the Grado's look. It's kind of retro. Like a vintage car. But new.

I honestly don't understand what people see in the Beats (who are said to be good looking headphones). To me they look like the most generic looking plastic headphones.

That puzzles me too. "Dude, the beats look freaking sexy!" I can't see how they are. They look like someone had 10 minutes to design everything and viola! I think it is a very dull and boring design. No originality what so ever. I just hate how everyone refers to the beats when they see some cans that look similar to it. Well, that is IMO

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #51 of 91
Quote:
That puzzles me too. "Dude, the beats look freaking sexy!" I can't see how they are. They look like someone had 10 minutes to design everything and viola! I think it is a very dull and boring design. No originality what so ever. I just hate how everyone refers to the beats when they see some cans that look similar to it. Well, that is IMO

looks familiar?
wink.gif
 probably they just ripped it and stamped a 'b' logo on it (i read that from somewhere too)

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #52 of 91
Hmmm... I'd still say that the beats look better. 

Why? Because of the logo... and the accents :p

Even if you don't like the beat's design, there's no getting around the fact that they are the most presentable/acceptable cans to wear in public.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #53 of 91
Quote:
Even uglier:

sennheiser_hd800.jpg

And Sennheiser were actually trying to make something that looks cool.

^^ Quite sexy!

Hmmm... I'd still say that the beats look better. 

Why? Because of the logo... and the accents :p

Even if you don't like the beat's design, there's no getting around the fact that they are the most presentable/acceptable cans to wear in public.

You fell for their marketing. They only look "cool" because people say they look cool and because of the ads / media presence they have. In reality they do look "smooth" but look at these headphones:

Good looking?

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #54 of 91
In my opinion, something that looks really presentable are the Sennheiser Momentum. They look REALLY good IRL. All that metal an real leather are quite nice.

Those Shure 440 really looks so similar to beats! I never noticed!

But too much off-topic, I'll shut up now.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

You fell for their marketing. They only look "cool" because people say they look cool and because of the ads / media presence they have. In reality they do look "smooth" but look at these headphones:

Good looking?

Lol well of course not, look at that color selection... XD

Tbh, I think that the some of the Fanny Wang knock-offs look even better than the beat headphones, though...

(Took this off an older thread) They look pretty okay on Mr. John Mayer's head with the shades and with the beanie... I'm not so sure otherwise :p

350x250px-LL-02ce918c_mayergrado.jpeg

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #56 of 91
One of the things I'm not so fond of about the Beats-type design is that they try to hide as much of the mechanics of the headphones as possible. I prefer to see more of that, which is why I'm actually fond of the grados (and even the T50rp's to a decent degree).

I'm also not fond of glossy plastic. I prefer metal, leather, and perhaps some wood.

I do think that Grado *really* needs to work on their earpads, though.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #58 of 91
Looks ugly (talking about ps500, really ugly), sounds cool, dynamic, fully detailed, but harsh for my ears .. (high too harsh, very significant for cymbals, bass too dry, but it's pleasant sometimes)

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #59 of 91
I'll start off by saying I comfortable wear my headphones for roughly 10 hours a day; Grado SR325i's (considering how much I listen to music, have a "decent" set of headphones is essential to me). This includes wearing them at work (office), walking through downtown on the way home (typically 2/3rds volume), and at home for a few more hours. Initially I was a little self conscience of the volume issue, but I gave up on that after a day or so - I told my coworkers to tell me if they're up too loud.

I've noticed that they definitely stand out in the crowd, and I've caught others checking them out (I've had people stop me and ask about them, including people recognizing that they're Grados). Mind you, it could also be the fact that you don't see "high-end headphones" out in the rain too often (325i's are $500 here in New Zealand)....

Regardless, I take pride in knowing that they're getting used for what they're designed for - enjoyment of music. I won't get rid of them, and I'll use them until they no longer function.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #60 of 91
They are dead ugly. But if they sound great I'd use them in public. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back