Do Grados Look Ugly? Or Do They Look Cool?
Feb 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 91
Quote:
So yeah, I'm curious as what you people think about the styling of the Grado headphones nowadays. For instance, would you wear them in public going by looks/presentability?

Personally, I wouldn't have a issue with wearing them in public (ignoring the open back/isolation issue) only if it is of the older SR models that had lower profile/flush cups. For me at least, the whole retro-ish look kinda works.

I'd like to hear what y'all have to say. 
smily_headphones1.gif

First I will say that I have never listened to music with Grado headphones. They are, I think, the only major headphone brand that I have not used, at least a bit, at some time or another. Although I have been listening to music through Hi Fi systems since the late 70's in all that time I haven't used any Grado headphones. Part of the reason for this is that I live in the UK and Grado have only really made inroads here in the last decade I think.

Anyway to address the key question here. "Would you wear them in public"?

My answer is, no. I would not wear Grado headphone in public because to me they are very very ugly.

I would very happily wear them at home although I would be tempted to draw the blinds.

These for example:

grado_ps1000.png

look to me like the kind of thing a (nutty) psychiatrist would have used in the 1970s to apply electro convulsive therapy to severely mentally disturbed patients. Think Jack Nicholson in One Few Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I will add, however, thank goodness Grado don't worry about looks. I wish more Hi Fi companies were like them :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #20 of 91
I do not know about ugly, retro for sure...I guess you could call them ugly......but the sound is so damn good, and that is my concern....yes I would wear them in public....but what do I know....I am just an old man with hobbitt ears, so they are not even uncomfortable for me  :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #21 of 91
The design is almost exactly like first Baldwin's phones from 1910. Hey if people still buying them why change.
gs1000.gif

http://coolmaterial.com/roundup/history-of-headphones/

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 91
I don't have any Grado headphones but their look is really good. It Is not a condition looking like this:

or this:

to be good looking I guess. I like much more atemporal and simple designs.

This is a good example!

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 91
I'd like to see some sort of redesign style wise from Grado. Not a total overall, although I don't like the appearance of Grado's, they still have a unique look they should keep. They should change them slightly though to make them more comfortable, I think comfort is a main complaint from people.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #27 of 91
More interesting if you had asked if the guys here would wear Grado or Beats in public... I love the Grado retro look, btw. In fact they're second on my list and I only plan on buying three pair of cans.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 91
I like their retro styling, but I don't wear cans in public and I am not fashion-conscious (daughter laughing uncontrollably...)  The sound is my main priority. Grados are my favorite.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #29 of 91
imo they look a little bit plain. i was worried about the MS1i sticking out of the side of my head like a frankenstien experiment so i modded them to look more presentable in public. and now they actually look very nice! at the audio shop a little kid came over and told me that he liked the looks of the grados
tongue.gif
 (the MS2i looks fantastic though)

side note i actually deliberately chose to get a grado for public use since i do not want the isolation blocking out my friend's voice when chatting, besides their sound is lively and energetic, suitable for outdoor walks (taking headphones off all the time is annoying)

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 91
If you wear grados outdoors, would it annoy other people? I've seen a few people wear grados outdoors, but I've never heard anything coming from them. How far do you have to be to hear someone's music (if they are listening at an average volume)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back