Do Grados Look Ugly? Or Do They Look Cool?
Feb 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 91
side note i actually deliberately chose to get a grado for public use since i do not want the isolation blocking out my friend's voice when chatting, besides their sound is lively and energetic, suitable for outdoor walks (taking headphones off all the time is annoying)

I like the style of grados. Although, I prefer the look of the black plastic and metallic cups to the woodies. I also bought a pair for a similar reason, so I can hear people at work who are trying to get my attention. I'm thinking I want something a little more mellow though. However, I don't seem to have many cans to choose from around the same size and caliber of the sr225i.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:
If you wear grados outdoors, would it annoy other people? I've seen a few people wear grados outdoors, but I've never heard anything coming from them. How far do you have to be to hear someone's music (if they are listening at an average volume)?

it really depends on the volume level and the noise level. at street level you could put it up at pretty decently loud volume and i cannot hear anything from the cans when i put them down on my neck. imo the leaking issue is not a problem in public streets, but in really quiet places like libraries. cause the leaked sound dies very rapidly in noisy environments while even soft sounds go a long way in a really quiet place. 
so my final guess would be about 5-10 inches max?

add on note: but that distance would be probably be about 5-15 feet in a really quiet library

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #33 of 91
MS2i, HF2, and the PS500 look pretty sweet to me. I also like the buttonless RS1/2's and MSPros. I've never seen the GS1000 in person, but it looks beautiful in pictures IMO.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #34 of 91
Quote:
it really depends on the volume level and the noise level. at street level you could put it up at pretty decently loud volume and i cannot hear anything from the cans when i put them down on my neck. imo the leaking issue is not a problem in public streets, but in really quiet places like libraries. cause the leaked sound dies very rapidly in noisy environments while even soft sounds go a long way in a really quiet place. 
so my final guess would be about 5-10 inches max?

add on note: but that distance would be probably be about 5-15 feet in a really quiet library

Oh, well that's hardly a problem at all. How is the leaking in? Is it distracting or can you still enjoy your music?

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:
imo they look a little bit plain. i was worried about the MS1i sticking out of the side of my head like a frankenstien experiment so i modded them to look more presentable in public. and now they actually look very nice! at the audio shop a little kid came over and told me that he liked the looks of the grados
tongue.gif
 (the MS2i looks fantastic though)

side note i actually deliberately chose to get a grado for public use since i do not want the isolation blocking out my friend's voice when chatting, besides their sound is lively and energetic, suitable for outdoor walks (taking headphones off all the time is annoying)

@dragon: that's my only issue with grados - hence why I like the older, non "i" versions of the SR line.

@taowolf: well, I've used them in the library/around campus a few time, but then again I don't listen loud enough to bother a person sitting nearby.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #37 of 91
If you wear grados outdoors, would it annoy other people? I've seen a few people wear grados outdoors, but I've never heard anything coming from them. How far do you have to be to hear someone's music (if they are listening at an average volume)?

I used to wear my SR-60 on the train, didn't seem to annoy people but I don't listen very loud in general. Ended up getting a pair of IEMs and gifting the SR-60 away, mostly because they're kind of big to lug around imho.

Personally I think Grado makes some of the better looking headphones on the market, and have absolutely no issues with the headband being fairly similar to designs that have existed for around 100 years. Honestly their headband assemblies are better than a lot of modern junk, and I'm continually confused by why people seem to obsess over things being "new" in order to be worthwhile (or that somehow "newer is better" actually holds true). Build quality, however, can be hit or miss - I've experienced both sides of that coin (I've never had one out-and-out die though; they're quite reliable IME). They're a hand-built product, and it shows (for better, or for worse). I dig'em though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 91
Quote:
Afraid it's not only look, the whole construction is dated like 19th century radio phones, not to mention special (you need more treble for your aging ears) sound signature.

Interesting comment. I bought the SR80 12 years ago, and didn't like it since the treble was too strong. I listened to it recently over 12 years later, and now I seem to be able to tolerate it better. I guess this might mean I did have some high frequency hearing loss over the past 12 years.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #39 of 91
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #40 of 91
Taste is so personal...

I would never wear LCD-2 Rosewoods in public, heck I wouldn't wear them when in a room with mirrors. I think they are very, very ugly.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 91
I don't give a ****** how they look, who cares if my PS1000 look like glorified dumbells, to me they sound awesome and that's what counts.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 91
About looks the modded ms1i looks really really nice on my fellow female coworker who has marron /brown hair. Not so much on my boring black haired head though

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #44 of 91
Quote:
Even uglier:

And Sennheiser were actually trying to make something that looks cool.

I like the look. Its more futuristic, looks more digital than analog.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #45 of 91
I wonder what you would say about the taket H2+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back