DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #751 of 4,451
Quote:
I been reading this thread with enthusiasm  and I was wondering what is the best sounding 2A3 so far. I have seen favorites include RCA and Sylvania tubes. What sounds the fullest with best bass and midrange. Usually he top end will follow suit.  Also have you found any reliable vendors with stash for sale?

AVVT meshplates, but no longer available.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #754 of 4,451
Quote:

Strike the Psvane off my experimental list! My wallet thanks you.

Get some gray-plate Sylvania's for the T1's.
wink.gif

Thanks for the tube recommendation. Too bad about those Psvanes. Before developing the problems, they were really lush and rich sounding with deep decay and sparkly top end. I am trying to figure out what would sound similar without the reliabilty issue.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #755 of 4,451
Thanks for the tube recommendation. Too bad about those Psvanes. Before developing the problems, they were really lush and rich sounding with deep decay and sparkly top end. I am trying to figure out what would sound similar without the reliabilty issue.

Sounds you described the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate.

On the old stock front, a pair of Ken Rads or RCAs might be to your liking, going by your taste. But I prefer the more balanced sound of black S-plate Sylvania's and think the T1 would sound perfect with them. The gray-plates will give you a lighter, sweeter sound with more air.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #756 of 4,451
Quote:
I thought I would alert you all to a potential problem with the new Psvane Mk II tubes. The pair I purchased developed a spitting/sputtering noise after a bit of burn in (6-10 hrs). I thought it was amp but no problem with stock tubes. I purchased from tube-sale.com and when I complained that one tube was bad they sent me another. When all three started having problems I asked for refund. And, they are happy to give me a refund if I return the tubes. Problem is, the shipping back to China is over $200. So, even with refund, I only get $100 back on my $300+ purchase. Ouch! In fairness, they are trying to figure out a way around this but haven't done so yet.

Donald has the tubes right now and experienced same problem in his Stratus. I don't know the problem but I won't be purchasing tubes from China any time soon. The tubes sounded really sweet before developing the problem, by the way. If you want to give these tubes a try I would recommend purchasing from a US distributor in case you have he same problem I had.

Thank you for the warning! Looks like EML or Sophia then...

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #757 of 4,451
Quote:
Sounds you described the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate.

On the old stock front, a pair of Ken Rads or RCAs might be to your liking, going by your taste. But I prefer the more balanced sound of black S-plate Sylvania's and think the T1 would sound perfect with them. The gray-plates will give you a lighter, sweeter sound with more air.

Thanks again. I have heard others suggest EML solid plate for T1s and Sophia Princess Mesh Plate for HD800. I'm also wondering about the expensive NOS RCA monoplates. I did a little math, and based on tubes lasting approx. 5000 hrs., that would take about 25 yrs at my normal listening frequency. Might make it worth the investment if they are that good. But maybe EMLs would be just as good at half the price (of RCA monos).

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #761 of 4,451
Donald,

You mentioned some worries about the electrical characteristics of the AVVTs.  Here are the design measurements.  Do you see anything to be alarmed about in these specs?  I have heard stories about bad QA, but then only the bad tubes ever get reported - a bias.

AV 2A3M    Filament Ratings 
Filament Voltage 
2.5 Volt  (AC or DC)
Filament Current 
2.5 Ampere 
AV 2A3M     Maximum Conditions  See  Note 3
Plate Voltage 
450Volt 
Plate Current 
130mA 
Plate Dissipation 
 16Watt 
Power Output in Class A
5.5 Watt 
AV 2A3M    Typical Data
Plate Voltage 
250V 
Plate Dissipation 
12,5 Watt 
Plate Current 
60mA 
Grid Voltage 
-45Volt 
Plate Impedance 
800 Ohm 
Amplification Factor 
Transconductance 
5,2 mA/V 
Load Impedance
2400...5500 Ohms
Grid Resistor
100k Ohm
Operating Lifetime 
40.000 hours 
AV 2A3M    Mechanical Data 
Size 
170 x 60mm (Incl.Socket) 
Weight 
120 Gram 

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #762 of 4,451
These specs look reasonable and are similar to the standard 2A3 spec. However, I once had a quad of the AVVT 2A3M with the beautiful blue glass and measured very differently with my Amplitrex tube tester. Under the standard bias condition: 250V plate, -45V grid, they drew MUCH more than 60mA plate current and would burn up quickly in a typical auto-bias amplifier. For my quad set, they would have needed to be used in an amplifier with user-adjustable bias. Be careful!

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #763 of 4,451
Quote:
As a starter, I would definitely go value first. Get the EMLs and maybe a pair of RCA S-plates for a taste of the RCA sound. If the RCAs are to your liking, you can upgrade to monoplates later on.

I just ordered a matched pair of NOS RCA dual black plates from Brent Jessee. I'm looking forward to hearing these older tubes. It seems odd to me that no one can make tubes in 2013 equal to the tubes made in the 40's and 50's. Unless, of course, there are materials and processes that are no longer possible due to health or safety regulations. I'm looking forward to hearing tubes that might be older than me. Yikes!

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #764 of 4,451
Another new order.  Whatever will i do with my tried and true SingePower MPX3?  It continues to be my benchmark...until the Stratus arrives, hopefully.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #765 of 4,451
Quote:
Another new order.  Whatever will i do with my tried and true SingePower MPX3?  It continues to be my benchmark...until the Stratus arrives, hopefully.

It is an excellent amplifier.  The Stratus I am bringing to the NY meet on Saturday as Donald is flying in and there are 91 attending. I have been listening and enjoying for a few days and ordered one as well. I am keeping my other amps as well.  This is Donald new demo he built and its going to Vancouver next. I already started to seek out some 2A3 so looking for suggestions. George Lentz is coming Saturday to NY meet with the EML solid pilate 2A3 tubes so I will get to listen to them on Saturday as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back