DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #766 of 4,463
They are nice tubes.  I think they have more body than the M model, but i'll stick with my AVVTs. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #767 of 4,463
Quote:
They are nice tubes.  I think they have more body than the M model, but i'll stick with my AVVTs. 

i will look for some RCA Black plates as well. I like finding one tube and leaving them in for a while. The Chinese Stock Shuguang are a little thin and not as full or rounded as  I am used to using the MK111 EL84

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #768 of 4,463
Since the single plates are hardly available, the dual plates aren't that bad and are relatively inexpensive.  The Kenrads look interesting and aren't too expensive.  I do have a pair of the RCA dual plates and yes, they are full bodied.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #769 of 4,463
Quote:
Since the single plates are hardly available, the dual plates aren't that bad and are relatively inexpensive.  The Kenrads look interesting and aren't too expensive.  I do have a pair of the RCA dual plates and yes, they are full bodied.

Thanks Frihed I appreciate that I will seek out a pair of the double  plates to at least get started. I also ordered some 6bq7 RCA  that I should have Thursday to try as well as I swapped in the Phillips 5R4GYS which also added more body than the Winged C but the Russian tube is a nice tube as well. I have othe r5U4G so I am in no short supply of rectifiers. I will need to seek out some other 6Bq& the Brimar look interesting 

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #770 of 4,463
I put a Sylvania 5U4G in the amp today and it stepped up another notch. I can only imagine how good this will sound with upgraded 2A3 tubes.  The HD800 all day today and it is very synergistic as are the LCD 2.2 and the AT3000ANV. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #771 of 4,463
Quote:
Thanks Frihed I appreciate that I will seek out a pair of the double  plates to at least get started. I also ordered some 6bq7 RCA  that I should have Thursday to try as well as I swapped in the Phillips 5R4GYS which also added more body than the Winged C but the Russian tube is a nice tube as well. I have othe r5U4G so I am in no short supply of rectifiers. I will need to seek out some other 6Bq& the Brimar look interesting 

On the topic of 6BQ7As.  Some were made in the 50s with black plates and square getters.  They are hard to find, but may be worth it, since a number of US-made small signal tubes from that area, which have square getters and black plates, sound excellent: 12Ax7, 12AY7, 6DJ8,...many more.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #772 of 4,463
Quote:
On the topic of 6BQ7As.  Some were made in the 50s with black plates and square getters.  They are hard to find, but may be worth it, since a number of US-made small signal tubes from that area, which have square getters and black plates, sound excellent: 12Ax7, 12AY7, 6DJ8,...many more.

There seems to be a large supply of these tubes available on Ebay and they are all very inexpensive. I will seek out some more when I get the Stratus. I paid 5.00 for the RCA I ordered and will be looking to get some other brands as well.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #773 of 4,463
I just received the RCA 6BQ7A  and popped it in.  The bass is very nice on the tube and it sounds good.  It is NOS so it needs to burn in before I can make comparison and will have to wait till I get my amp as this unit is heading west early next week.  I am really enjoying this amp.    Funny, RCA made these tubes in the Deptford NJ plant which was 10 minutes from where i live. They closed that facility about 9 years ago.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #775 of 4,463
Quote:
Congrats on the amp. I also use the 6BQ7a and like it a lot. Are you using stock 2A3's in the meantime? I really enjoy the HD800 with Sophia Princess 2A3's, I'll get to hear a bunch more at the LA meet this July.

This is Donald demo amp and it has the stock 2A3 Shuguang and it came with the Sovtek 6N1P and the winged C 5U4G.  I have the Sylvania 5U4G and the RCA in the amp with the Shuguang 2A3. George Lentz is bringing the EML 5U4G and the solid plate 2A3 tubes to the meet in NY on Saturday.  When I get my amp I will buy some 2A3 tubes as well. The Shuguang are not all that bad as a tube.   I been following some 2A3 but I don't want to buy them until Donald builds my amp, I do not have a tube tester and want to make sure I get decent tubes as well.  I have had the amp since last Friday and been listening quite a few hours and it still burning in. I though enough of it to order one.  It been a fun week.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #778 of 4,463
Quote:
This is Donald demo amp and it has the stock 2A3 Shuguang and it came with the Sovtek 6N1P and the winged C 5U4G.  I have the Sylvania 5U4G and the RCA in the amp with the Shuguang 2A3. George Lentz is bringing the EML 5U4G and the solid plate 2A3 tubes to the meet in NY on Saturday.  When I get my amp I will buy some 2A3 tubes as well. The Shuguang are not all that bad as a tube.   I been following some 2A3 but I don't want to buy them until Donald builds my amp, I do not have a tube tester and want to make sure I get decent tubes as well.  I have had the amp since last Friday and been listening quite a few hours and it still burning in. I though enough of it to order one.  It been a fun week.

I can't wait to hear it it's the first amp on my want list!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back