DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #781 of 4,463
Quote:
Enjoyed visiting with Frank and Donald yesterday at the show. Lot's of enthusiastic listeners circling the DNA headphone amplifier.

-George

George it was a pleasure meeting you and it was a fun event for sure. I ended up going out to dinner with a bunch of the guys as well last night. The solid plates sounded great and I thank you for taking the time to spend the day with us.  The tubes sounded fantastic with the Stratus. Beautifully made as well.  I look forward to doing business with you as well.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #782 of 4,463
Quote:
Enjoyed visiting with Frank and Donald yesterday at the show. Lot's of enthusiastic listeners circling the DNA headphone amplifier.

-George

Hey, Welcome to head-fi, George!

I enjoyed doing business with you, too. I bought the EML solid and mesh 2A3s, and the 5U4G as well. And you very kindly tested the KR 2A3 for me and gave me your impressions. I've had that on my list for a long time now, but it keeps getting pushed back.

Maybe one of the new Stratus owners will buy a pair of the KR 2A3s from you and let us all know how they sound compared to the EMLs and the Sophias and the RCA monoplates. 

Or maybe you will become a Stratus owner, too, eh?

Again, very nice to see you and tubesusa.com here!!!

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #783 of 4,463
Quote:
There seems to be a large supply of these tubes available on Ebay and they are all very inexpensive. I will seek out some more when I get the Stratus. I paid 5.00 for the RCA I ordered and will be looking to get some other brands as well.

yes, but most of those I see have grey plates and halo getters, or black plates and halo getters.  I think what you should look for are Japanese made Raytheons with square getters and black plates.  But I think they are rare as hens teeth.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #784 of 4,463
Quote:

I can't wait to hear it it's the first amp on my want list!!

Shuguang has really improved the quality of its tubes over the last few years.  A very good seller is www.goodcomponent.com . They not only have the lowest prices i have seen, but they ship rapidly and inexpensively.  I ordered a quad of GEKT88 from them and they arrived in a week.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #785 of 4,463
I would like to hear from Stratus owners who do NOT use ortho headphones.  HD 800 owners need not reply, since I am also certain they are outstanding.

My gripe(s) against the Orthos I have tried are: a) they don't sound cohesive to me (unmusical?), b) the presentation kills my ears and brain, c) price.  

My current headphones of choice are K-701s on two amps:  older SP MPX3 and custom BC SBH.  The HD 650s are too colored for me. But otherwise, I am open.  I am very familiar with the 2A3 tube and I am not convinced I need orthos to bring out the best in it.

I listen to late romantic/early modern symphonic music, all kinds of chamber music, classical and Spanish guitar, Alt Country, and for want of a better term "Americana" (read: the likes of Jimmy LaFavre and Jason Isbel, OK it's country!), and a bunch of early Indie bands, only a few of which have survived (like the Decemberists).

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #786 of 4,463
I used the Audio Technica 3000ANV on the Stratus and it sounded fantastic.  The sound stage was more extended and deeper than I had been accustomed to using my other amps. It is also very synergistic and the null pots tuned out the hum and dialed them in.  The three flagship I used were all excellent with the Stratus.

Frihed I know form here and the audio asylum you have extensive experience with the 2A3 tubes.  From your experience what tubes would be the best sounding  for use in a 2A3 amp.  The EML Labs solid plates that George had were excellent and Donald still preferred the mesh-plates from EML.  I also heard the KR 2A3 George gad and I thought the EML tubes were much nicer sounding tubes.

I believe there was an issue with the Psvane tubes. The Sophia and Shuguang Treasures  are also tubes i would like to consider and wonder about their reliability. The Sophia only have a 30 day warranty. That is what is discouraging me form buying a pair . I will be purchasing the EML Mesh-Plates and am looking for one more pair to have besides the stock and EML for some tube rolling occasionally. I have quite a few 5U4G tubes. I would appreciate some more input form Frihed and other Stratus users as well.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #789 of 4,463
I listen to late romantic/early modern symphonic music, all kinds of chamber music, classical and Spanish guitar, Alt Country, and for want of a better term "Americana" (read: the likes of Jimmy LaFavre and Jason Isbel, OK it's country!), and a bunch of early Indie bands, only a few of which have survived (like the Decemberist).

The one headphone I like for all those types of music you've mentioned happens to be the one you don't like: The HD650.

I've heard the T1 and TH900 on the Stratus. They sounded fine and would do nicely with your music taste. But I'm more of a Senn guy.

On another topic, right now I have a chance to acquire a pair of AVVT 2A3 Meshplates. The only thing holding me back is Mr. North's comments earlier in the thread. Also, the reliability concerns over the PSvane 2A3s is really putting me off acquiring some Shuguang's or any Chinese tube. The field of 2A3 tubes I wish to try is really narrowing for me. Which I suppose is good for my wallet.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #790 of 4,463
In terms of non-orthos, the Stratus sounds great with HD580s and D7000s. 
But I would highly recommend getting over your prejudice and trying to get hold of some HE-5s or -500s.
Matched with the right 2A3s they sound incredible with the Stratus... imo...

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #791 of 4,463
Quote:
In terms of non-orthos, the Stratus sounds great with HD580s and D7000s. 
But I would highly recommend getting over your prejudice and trying to get hold of some HE-5s or -500s.
Matched with the right 2A3s they sound incredible with the Stratus... imo...

+1. I have the HE500 and it sometimes wipes the floor with the HD800. Blacker background, better bass texture and killer midrange on the HE500. Pair it some Ken Rad 2A3's and you're set for any type of music.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #792 of 4,463
Quote:
I used the Audio Technica 3000ANV on the Stratus and it sounded fantastic.  The sound stage was more extended and deeper than I had been accustomed to using my other amps. It is also very synergistic and the null pots tuned out the hum and dialed them in.  The three flagship I used were all excellent with the Stratus.

Frihed I know form here and the audio asylum you have extensive experience with the 2A3 tubes.  From your experience what tubes would be the best sounding  for use in a 2A3 amp.  The EML Labs solid plates that George had were excellent and Donald still preferred the mesh-plates from EML.  I also heard the KR 2A3 George gad and I thought the EML tubes were much nicer sounding tubes.

I believe there was an issue with the Psvane tubes. The Sophia and Shuguang Treasures  are also tubes i would like to consider and wonder about their reliability. The Sophia only have a 30 day warranty. That is what is discouraging me form buying a pair . I will be purchasing the EML Mesh-Plates and am looking for one more pair to have besides the stock and EML for some tube rolling occasionally. I have quite a few 5U4G tubes. I would appreciate some more input form Frihed and other Stratus users as well.

I haven't had that much experience with current production tubes.  Here is a ranking from my ears and brain of those I have heard 1.  EML-S, 2. EML-M, 3. Shuguang 2A3c 4. Sovtek.  The EH 2A3 is conspicuously missing, sorry. The two EML tubes are quite a bit better than the others. I think the choice between the EML tubes is a matter of personal preference.  The M is more refined and some believe it has a better top end. I prefer the S model because it has more body with a smaller loss in refinement.  The top end is presented differently than the M.  To my ears, it is more "fairy-like" (ethereal) and perhaps a wee bit more extended.  The S is a bit better in the Bass and quite a bit better to my ears in the mid-range and since I have ski-slope hearing, I don't miss much in the top end.  I can't comment on sound stage.  I just don't get the concept.  The Sovtek is a good buy and don't snub it if you are cash short.  I suggest you get a pair of RCA dual plates or the Sovteks.  Break your amp in using either one of those and let that be your reference for a while.  Just a suggestion.  I wish Donald had made a 45 amp, though.  I prefer it to the 2A3.  I am not familiar with Donald's power supply or OPTs, but with some sacrifices I think he could have built a 2A3/45 amp by changing these without any radical changes to the circuit.  However, I am in no position to be anywhere close to certain.  He designed and optimized the amp for the 2A3.  That's all there is to it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #793 of 4,463
Quote:
The one headphone I like for all those types of music you've mentioned happens to be the one you don't like: The HD650.

I've heard the T1 and TH900 on the Stratus. They sounded fine and would do nicely with your music taste. But I'm more of a Senn guy.

On another topic, right now I have a chance to acquire a pair of AVVT 2A3 Meshplates. The only thing holding me back is Mr. North's comments earlier in the thread. Also, the reliability concerns over the PSvane 2A3s is really putting me off acquiring some Shuguang's or any Chinese tube. The field of 2A3 tubes I wish to try is really narrowing for me. Which I suppose is good for my wallet.

I might just wander down to my local AN dealer who sells these and try a pair after I receive and break in my Stratus.  Contempt before investigation is a bad rule to follow.  I just found them quite warm on other headamps I had.  The K-701s get trashed a lot, and my experience with cans is quite limited.  I do have a pair of first generation Audeze, and I am not sure why I haven't sold them.  I'll keep them until my Stratus is broken in and try them, too.  I know nothing about the Audio Technica headphones that Frank recommended.

On the AVVT Mesh plates.  They spec out fine. (I posted a thread with their electrical properties a page or so back).  I have heard about some reliability problems, but mine work wonderfully well on my Fi 2A3/45 monos.  

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #794 of 4,463
Thanks Frihed for your assessment on the  tubes. I have heard the solid plate but not the mesh plates form EML. I agree they are in a different category  over the stock Shuguang which is a nice tune as well. I will sort it all out and probably start with Donald advice on the meshplate since he heard both and I would like the top end as well.. I will also add one other tune either the TCA or the Sophia Mesh plates and then be done for a long while with tubes. I would also like to add the EML 5U4G tube as well.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #795 of 4,463
Very nice amp.

Can it be made with a 6SN7 driver/input instead of the 6N1P?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back