DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #740 of 4,463
Quote:
which output sounds better with the w3000anv, IEC or LOW ?

From the brief time I had it with the Stratus, I think LOW was better suited. I'm finding that the impedance switch acts as something of a filter with the HD800. I usually listen with IEC which is the correct (120) impedance match but on occasion I'll switch to LOW which presents slightly different.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #742 of 4,463
Quote:
how did you think it paired with the stratus third eye how come you sold it ?

I sold it because I realized that it would get little to no use, I just prefer the HD800 with the Stratus which is a match made in heaven. I actually preferred the W3000 through my m903 over the stock Stratus (this was before I got the Sophia's).

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #743 of 4,463
I thought I would alert you all to a potential problem with the new Psvane Mk II tubes. The pair I purchased developed a spitting/sputtering noise after a bit of burn in (6-10 hrs). I thought it was amp but no problem with stock tubes. I purchased from tube-sale.com and when I complained that one tube was bad they sent me another. When all three started having problems I asked for refund. And, they are happy to give me a refund if I return the tubes. Problem is, the shipping back to China is over $200. So, even with refund, I only get $100 back on my $300+ purchase. Ouch! In fairness, they are trying to figure out a way around this but haven't done so yet.

Donald has the tubes right now and experienced same problem in his Stratus. I don't know the problem but I won't be purchasing tubes from China any time soon. The tubes sounded really sweet before developing the problem, by the way. If you want to give these tubes a try I would recommend purchasing from a US distributor in case you have he same problem I had.

I have been reading these posts and never thought I had anything to contribute until now.l

I plan to attend the event in Woodland Hills, CA coming up which is near my home. I am eager to hear other headphones, tube set-ups etc. I have T-1 phones and interested in upgrading tubes but can't afford to experiment as much as some other.

And, love my Stratus amp and experience dealing with Donald. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #744 of 4,463
Wow that bites - sorry to hear about it.  Keep us posted on how it goes.  I was looking at a pair of those myself - now not so sure...

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #745 of 4,463
^ That's my concern with both the Treasures and the Psvanes too. Both have had reliability issues. Sadly I've had similar issues with these new issue tubes. The Genelax Gold Lions are much better in that regard.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #746 of 4,463
Yeah I had my "matched premium" pair of Psvane 300Bs tested after they arrived only to find they were not matched at all...
Had some reliability issues with Sophias as well - a pair of 300Bs developed a sound similar to what is described above...

Anyway, back to topic for a moment, I have tried out both the 5Y3G and the 80 (with adapter) rectifiers to nice effect in the Stratus.  Less oomph overall than the 5U4G but still very sweet.  Best paired with a *loud* 2A3 like the Sophias or even the EMLs...  Just FYI...

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #747 of 4,463
Quote:
I thought I would alert you all to a potential problem with the new Psvane Mk II tubes. The pair I purchased developed a spitting/sputtering noise after a bit of burn in (6-10 hrs). I thought it was amp but no problem with stock tubes. I purchased from tube-sale.com and when I complained that one tube was bad they sent me another. When all three started having problems I asked for refund. And, they are happy to give me a refund if I return the tubes. Problem is, the shipping back to China is over $200. So, even with refund, I only get $100 back on my $300+ purchase. Ouch! In fairness, they are trying to figure out a way around this but haven't done so yet.

Donald has the tubes right now and experienced same problem in his Stratus. I don't know the problem but I won't be purchasing tubes from China any time soon. The tubes sounded really sweet before developing the problem, by the way. If you want to give these tubes a try I would recommend purchasing from a US distributor in case you have he same problem I had.

I have been reading these posts and never thought I had anything to contribute until now.l

I plan to attend the event in Woodland Hills, CA coming up which is near my home. I am eager to hear other headphones, tube set-ups etc. I have T-1 phones and interested in upgrading tubes but can't afford to experiment as much as some other.

Strike the Psvane off my experimental list! My wallet thanks you.

Get some gray-plate Sylvania's for the T1's.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #748 of 4,463
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the thread. I will add you to the attendee list for the July 20 meet.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #749 of 4,463
I been reading this thread with enthusiasm  and I was wondering what is the best sounding 2A3 so far. I have seen favorites include RCA and Sylvania tubes. What sounds the fullest with best bass and midrange. Usually he top end will follow suit.  Also have you found any reliable vendors with stash for sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back