DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #376 of 4,456
I guess some Stratus owners that also own HE-6's could comment on this but I did find this interesting last comment from Srajan's review of the HE-6.......

[size=small]
Final comments & suggestions:[/size][size=small]
 Speaker-level drive can compensate for the lower efficiency if such an amp is happy into 50 ohms. The HE-6 needs a long time to break in. The screw fittings for the cabling are a bit finicky. More than once they came loose from wear to interrupt or mute one channel. The cable's XLR coupler allows driving this headphone in balanced mode from amps with the requisite K-1000 terminal. Because that AKG design was even less efficient, amps designed for it will automatically work with the HE-6.[/size]

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #377 of 4,456
Quote:
I guess some Stratus owners that also own HE-6's could comment on this but I did find this interesting last comment from Srajan's review of the HE-6.......

[size=small]
Final comments & suggestions:[/size][size=small]
 Speaker-level drive can compensate for the lower efficiency if such an amp is happy into 50 ohms. The HE-6 needs a long time to break in. The screw fittings for the cabling are a bit finicky. More than once they came loose from wear to interrupt or mute one channel. The cable's XLR coupler allows driving this headphone in balanced mode from amps with the requisite K-1000 terminal. Because that AKG design was even less efficient, amps designed for it will automatically work with the HE-6.[/size]

good point third_eye. I would like to second this, especially since I ready many a post that generally say you need at least 4 or 6 WPC for HE-6, but was not stratus build in part for K1000? Is this a case of paper spec do not always show the whole story, or quality power over quantity? 

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #378 of 4,456
I just don't think HE-6 owners (I can only speak for myself) will be going out getting a Stratus for those headphones.  However, the Stratus seems like a perfect amp for the HD800s and the like.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #379 of 4,456
Quote:
I can only speak for myself as an HE-6 owner and I don't think I will be going out getting a Stratus for those headphones. However, the Stratus seems like a perfect amp for the HD800s and the like.

Fixed.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #383 of 4,456
I just don't think HE-6 owners (I can only speak for myself) will be going out getting a Stratus for those headphones.  However, the Stratus seems like a perfect amp for the HD800s and the like.

Wait a sec, even if the Stratus was the best amp possible for the HE-6 it still only comes in blue :)
In all seriousness though, I think this is a valid question as to whether the Stratus could be considered a TOTL amp for the HE-6. We know it is for the other dynamic cans.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #384 of 4,456
My ears are still attached to the HD800, but the last time I listened to my HE-6 using a silver Complement from DHC, the Stratus drove it very well. It did not do so well when the HE-6 was still breaking in, but after >400 hrs on the HE-6, it was a different matter. Full spectrum, marvelous microdetail and air, superb timbre. The only advantage I heard driving it from the 8 Ohm speaker terminals of my 100 wpc ss Odyssey Cyclops was tighter and more accurate bass tonality. But it was far smoother and more liquid from the Stratus.

Would it sound different driving it from the K1000 output of the Stratus?

or if I used the HE-adapter to bring its load down to 8 Ohms?

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #386 of 4,456
Howdy Ethan. You thinking about upgrading your tubes now? I replaced the stock rectifier with a cryo'd NOS 5U4G from Brendan at tubeworld, and it sounds better than even the EML, IMO. Quieter, fuller, richer.

I get a "ping" every once in a while, and i haven't figured out yet where it originates. Not a bother really. Nothing like the gas discharge I had with one of the RCA NOS 2A3s.

Yup, I'm still entranced by the Sophia / HD800 combo. I tried the Shuguang special "Natural Sound" 2A3T-C and it came close to the sweet synergy of the Sophia with the HD800, but a bit thin. Also tried the EML mesh briefly again, and it stomps for bass control but it still couldn't match the liquid synergy of the Princess on vocals. Well-recorded a cappela voices are like live mike feeds (yah - like I've heard those).

Are you still listening to your HD800 or did your new anniversary cans grab your attention?

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #389 of 4,456
Quote:
has anyone experimented with tube rolling? does it make a big or minor difference to sound quality on this amp compared to stock tubes , if so which tubes would you recommend?

There's a tube discussion going on like.. RIGHT above your post, kind of ironic.
Anyway, Sophia Electric 2A3 tubes seem to be getting lots of praise here, EML 2A3 tubes might be good too especially for more modern music.
Difference seems pretty major, since the tubes decide quite a bit of the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back