DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #361 of 4,464
Quote:
Hey I like his amp or I wouldn't even say anything. Obviously there are others who would like the other color options, that's all.

I think you've well and truly made your point and I don't agree.
Quote:
Guys, do we have nothing more to contribute to this thread than a discussion of the color of the amp ? Seriously ?   I could be way off beam here, but I doubt that Donald spends hours building each amp in the fervent hope that the COLOR ranks above the sonics in his customers list of priorities. 
frown.gif

I think it's obvious that Donald has an eye for design and cares very much about the visual aesthetics of his amps. The blue of the Stratus and Sonett is a deliberate design choice that sets his creations apart from the rest. So I think that the discussion regarding his colour choice was warranted. However, I also think that we've exhausted the topic. This thread contains numerous posts pertaining to the sonics of the Stratus if you'd care to read them.
Quote:
They're now silver with black trim. I'm not interested in making a silver colored amplifier. To each his own.

Donald, I'm a fan of your visual design choices. I think that Radio_head put it nicely when he described your amps as "functional art", and that's how I regard them. They are unique audio design statements that stand alone. Bemoaning that your amps don't come in other colours is missing the point, which is a bit surprising given that you've already explained it.
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #362 of 4,464
Just put a deposit on Stratus number 1???  yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive in Jan or Feb.  There are 2 or 3 in production ahead of my order.

I'm curious about the JJ 2A3- 40 tubes.  Anyone tried them? there was a nice review on 6moons a few yrs back and several folks on audiocircle like them in their speaker amps.  they are relatively affordable ($250/pr at Tube depot)

Cheers to all you stratus owners- looking forward to checking back after I have a little more Blue in the house 

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #363 of 4,464
Congrats SuperDuke you will not be disappointed!
Never heard the JJs but I do like the JJ 300B in my BA quite a bit - they are very smooth and even - hard to find anything wrong with their sound.  Question is do they have that extra something that makes the EMLs and the Sophias stand out?

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #364 of 4,464
Quote:
Just put a deposit on Stratus number 1???  yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive in Jan or Feb.  There are 2 or 3 in production ahead of my order.

I'm curious about the JJ 2A3- 40 tubes.  Anyone tried them? there was a nice review on 6moons a few yrs back and several folks on audiocircle like them in their speaker amps.  they are relatively affordable ($250/pr at Tube depot)

Cheers to all you stratus owners- looking forward to checking back after I have a little more Blue in the house 

Congrats!! It will be well worth the wait. What headphones are you going to use it with?

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #365 of 4,464
Quote:

There are several Sophia models priced well below the top model, the Princess, that I am enjoying at this very moment.

You might find one of those fits your needs. They offer a 30 day guarantee, I believe.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #366 of 4,464
In response to which headphones I have to use:

I am very fortunate to have the LCD2, K1000 and HD650 to try w/ the Stratus and maybe soon the HD800.

I live not far from Sophia Electric and am hoping they will allow me to take the amp by to try some of their tubes.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #368 of 4,464
How many WPC does the Stratus put out into a 50 ohm load? And what is the current like?

Yes, I am trying to get a better read on performance with HE-6. I have seen some listening impressions but I don't think I saw this particular question addressed. I understand that paper specs are not the whole story but I feel in the absence of opportunity to listen for yourself it is one many variables that should be considered. If this was already answered and I am rehashing an old topic, sorry. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #369 of 4,464
The Stratus delivers 1.8W into a 50 ohm load.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #371 of 4,464
Quote:
IMO not enogh for the HE-6 and perfect for the HE-500, HD800s, LCDx and so on..

The ability to drive the HE-6 should not be considered a pre-requisite for a headphone amp, any more than the ability to drive Magnepan 3.7's should be considered a pre-req for a speaker amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #373 of 4,464
Quote:

The ability to drive the HE-6 should not be considered a pre-requisite for a headphone amp, any more than the ability to drive Magnepan 3.7's should be considered a pre-req for a speaker amp.

Sorry don't agree.  If the HE-6 is my choice of headphone.  Then it would suit me best to have a "pre-requisite" when I, or whoever purchase a amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #374 of 4,464
It is my understanding that there are few hp amps out there that can drive HE 6 and some very well regarded amps that cannot. Also I think that any amp that can showcase the hd800 is a good amp. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #375 of 4,464
The HE-6 is rated at 83.5dB. 1.8W into them produces 116dB. Is this not enough headroom?
Quote:
IMO not enogh for the HE-6 and perfect for the HE-500, HD800s, LCDx and so on..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back