DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #346 of 4,464
That's why we have choices when it comes to gear. The color, in addition to the other components used in the Stratus, make up the designer's vision. Next thing you know, someone will complain about the color of the Switchcraft Panel Mounts. I would imagine that when Orange started making their guitar amps in the late 60's, they raised a few eyebrows with their color scheme. I think Donald's choice of color is amazing and really elevates this product into a work of art. And as art is subjective, it's not going to appeal to everyone. And that's ok.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #347 of 4,464
So who's complaining?  

I just said "I would prefer" other options.  And right now we "don't" have any options with the Stratus.  Only blue.  No complaint.  I guess you all just don't get it..   As I said before, my other gear is black with blue LEDs and "I" would rather keep that scheme going.  

Some builders gives options and some builders don't.  That's just how it is.  I'll just go where I have options.  No worries..
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #348 of 4,464
This shade of blue is to DNA what white was to the first generation of ipods.  It's distinctive, eye-catching, and won't be confused with anything else.  If it helps, think of the amp as functional art - and the design decisions are made on the part of the artist.  The piece is yours to purchase or not depending on if you appreciate said art.

You don't see anyone asking why Blue Man Group doesn't perform in blackface.  

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #349 of 4,464
Quote:
So who's complaining?  

I just said "I would prefer" other options.  And right now we "don't" have any options with the Stratus.  Only blue.  No complaint.  I guess you all just don't get it..   As I said before, my other gear is black with blue LEDs and "I" would rather keep that scheme going.  

Some builders gives options and some builders don't.  That's just how it is.  I'll just go where I have options.  No worries..
biggrin.gif

Craig of Eddie Current makes great amps. In black. Not sure about the LED color though.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #350 of 4,464
Quote:
This shade of blue is to DNA what white was to the first generation of ipods.  It's distinctive, eye-catching, and won't be confused with anything else.  If it helps, think of the amp as functional art - and the design decisions are made on the part of the artist.  The piece is yours to purchase or not depending on if you appreciate said art.

Don't know what that has to do with a personal preference
biggrin.gif
   Like I said.  Some builders offer color options and some don't.  That's just the way it is.  I have no problem with it.  Geezz.  I just have a preference that's all.  

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #352 of 4,464
I like how Apple launched the original iMac in one color: bondi blue.

Quote:

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #354 of 4,464
They're now silver with black trim. I'm not interested in making a silver colored amplifier. To each his own.
Quote:
Hmm.... And what colors are the iMacs now?
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #357 of 4,464
Quote:
Hey I like his amp or I wouldn't even say anything. Obviously there are others who would like the other color options, that's all.

I agree that in an ideal world that we could customize colors from all vendors. And I also agree that some people will rule this product line out due to color. But I believe that's his decision to make. From a marketing perspective, I personally think it's good approach.....it's unique, refreshing, and creates a certain brand awareness. That's why I cited Orange guitar amps as an example in the thread earlier today. Anyway, I think we've probably exhausted the color topic enough for today. For me, I'm going back to listening to the Stratus 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #358 of 4,464
Guys, do we have nothing more to contribute to this thread than a discussion of the color of the amp ? Seriously ?   I could be way off beam here, but I doubt that Donald spends hours building each amp in the fervent hope that the COLOR ranks above the sonics in his customers list of priorities. 
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #360 of 4,464
Quote:

Hilarious.

To me the color is an integral part of the amp.  Also a choice you have to live with from nearly all manufacturers.  They make it.  And frankly, a choice between silver and black is really no choice at all.  The color affects the mood of the listener and the mood affects the music - so you *could* argue that a Stratus in any other color isn't really a Stratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back