DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,347 of 4,456
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,348 of 4,456
Will definitely consider them! They're quite expensive for a pair of them at around $283 on Amazon. Any other reputable sites to get tubes for better prices?

I've got a pair of lightly used Shuguang natural sound 2A3C-Ts that I'll sell to you for cheap. They've been sitting in their case on a bookshelf ever since I got a pair of KR 2A3s

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,350 of 4,456
The Naturals are very nice. I found mine a bit harsh until fully broken in. Now they just sing, sing, sing.

IMG_20170603_091831_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #3,351 of 4,456
I finally get to compare my two favourite amps. More to come
Any update on the comparison between to the amplifiers? I was always considering the WA5LE and it was the amp I was saving up for for awhile, but then I saw this thread on the DNA Stratus and heard about how good they are with the HD800 and I just had to order them. Do they sound similar to eachother? Or is there a stark contrast between the two? Cheers!

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #3,353 of 4,456
Sorry guys, I have moved house so there was little time for headphone listening. I did get a couple of nights on both and make no mistake both are excellent and owning any of them is a privilege. My WA5 LE is the original version with upgraded caps. I haven't listened to the new model but I've been told there isn't much between them.
I've realised with tube amps it's also about the tubes as there is a massive difference between stock and what I currently have on both of them. The Stratus uses WE422A with RCA Single plate and Sylvania GB 6BQ7A/6N1P triple mica. The WA5 is on Sophia Princess carbon/Elrog 300B, Sylvania 6SN7WGT and Sophia princes rectifier. I have a pair of Tung Sol round plate on the way that should be a little bit better.

Now for the sound I enjoy both no doubt about it. The difference is in the presentation. The WA5 has a bigger soundstage with excellent but a bit forward mids. I would say it's a very fun amplifier to listen to and will be my work horse during the day. The only downside is a slight grain and harshness in the treble which is noticeable with the LCD4 but not the HD650.
The Stratus on the other hand has a smaller soundstage but has more detail and air, it is very well balanced as nothing stands out, without any sort of grain or harshness. These are the major differences I could hear between them so far.
Just for sound quality I feel the Stratus is better and will be used only when I want to focus on music, for those special moments when I listen to my favourite songs. I'm hoping the Stellaris will increase the gap even if at this point it's hard to imagine anything sounding better.
20170703_071421.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #3,354 of 4,456
Sorry guys, I have moved house so there was little time for headphone listening. I did get a couple of nights on both and make no mistake both are excellent and owning any of them is a privilege. My WA5 LE is the original version with upgraded caps. I haven't listened to the new model but I've been told there isn't much between them.
I've realised with tube amps it's also about the tubes as there is a massive difference between stock and what I currently have on both of them. The Stratus uses WE422A with RCA Single plate and Sylvania GB 6BQ7A/6N1P triple mica. The WA5 is on Sophia Princess carbon/Elrog 300B, Sylvania 6SN7WGT and Sophia princes rectifier. I have a pair of Tung Sol round plate on the way that should be a little bit better.

Now for the sound I enjoy both no doubt about it. The difference is in the presentation. The WA5 has a bigger soundstage with excellent but a bit forward mids. I would say it's a very fun amplifier to listen to and will be my work horse during the day. The only downside is a slight grain and harshness in the treble which is noticeable with the LCD4 but not the HD650.
The Stratus on the other hand has a smaller soundstage but has more detail and air, it is very well balanced as nothing stands out, without any sort of grain or harshness. These are the major differences I could hear between them so far.
Just for sound quality I feel the Stratus is better and will be used only when I want to focus on music, for those special moments when I listen to my favourite songs. I'm hoping the Stellaris will increase the gap even if at this point it's hard to imagine anything sounding better.
Awesome! Can't wait to hear more comparisons between the two!

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,355 of 4,456
I'm still learning the sound of both amplifiers as I've received some new tubes. The WA5 has the Tung Sol round plate which does remove the harshness in the treble and smooths out the mid range. The Stratus got the tubes I've been hunting for a few years, the Fivre monoplate. These have the edge on the RCA monoplate as it's a little warmer without sacrificing detail and a bit better low end. For now I would say both are exceptional with WA5 having a bit more sound stage and punch and the Stratus has a bit more detail. To be clear each amplifier would be better than the other if it's the case of upgraded tubes vs stock so you cannot go wrong with either. For me if I had to choose only one it has the be the Stellaris...which is not here yet.

20170706_125421.jpg

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,358 of 4,456

I see that you have Bottlehead BeePre in the system, to my understanding Yggy->BeePre->Headphone Amp? What is the purpose of adding a BeePre? And with its addition, how do you like the sound? Is it better or the BeePre just add a different presentation to the system? It is a very interesting setup and I also just love the Bottlehead gear! Thanks.

Krit.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #3,359 of 4,456
I got the BeePre as I always prefered a preamp in the chain ever since the quickie and I couldn't resist a 300B one. At first I was curious on how it will change the sound and I do feel there was just a bit more richness. I'm keeping the BeePre in the chain as I've modified it to take the balanced output from the Yggy using transformers just like the Stellaris. I do hear the improvement over the RCA out of the yggy and this gives me the added benefit of isolating the dac and amp so I don't have to worry about ground loops. In addition I use it to route the output to my other amplifiers so I can listen to the WA5, Stratus and 600i from the balanced out of the yggy.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,360 of 4,456
I got the BeePre as I always prefered a preamp in the chain ever since the quickie and I couldn't resist a 300B one. At first I was curious on how it will change the sound and I do feel there was just a bit more richness. I'm keeping the BeePre in the chain as I've modified it to take the balanced output from the Yggy using transformers just like the Stellaris. I do hear the improvement over the RCA out of the yggy and this gives me the added benefit of isolating the dac and amp so I don't have to worry about ground loops. In addition I use it to route the output to my other amplifiers so I can listen to the WA5, Stratus and 600i from the balanced out of the yggy.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back