DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 31, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #3,316 of 4,463
I thought you preferred your 600i to the Stratus - or am I losing my mind?
The Moon will soon go on permanent speaker duty. Yes I did slightly preferred the 600i until I got the 422A. I also have a pair of RCA single plates on the way so it should make things interesting. I'm trying to keep myself busy with tube rolling while I wait for the Stellaris.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,318 of 4,463
That's a great post, thank you! I am putting together a pretty much end-game (considering my wallet) rig consisting of Gumby, Stratus, HD800SDR. Everything is already at my desk yet, except the Gumby is on its way. I am planning to use my old Fiio X3 through coax as a digital source. I exclusively listen to my Flac files on SD card and I have zero interest in streaming music. In that case, would I experience any changes from getting the MicroRendu, a router, etc.?

Would not that money be better spent to, let's say, upgrade to Yggy?
That will be my exact setup too when the Stratus arrives haha.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,319 of 4,463
Do you guys think a Gumby is good enough with the DNA Stratus? I currently have a Gumby and am deeply considering upgrading to the Hugo 2 (if it ever arrives lol) at around Christmas time when my Stratus comes in (super stoked!).

It's probably good enough, although the Stratus scales up very well with the quality and capability of your DAC. How much performance do you want, and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Also, if tube rolling is in your plans, keep in mind that it can get expensive. What is more important to you: the 'right' tube combination or a better DAC? Depending on your budget, you may have to set priorities and do things in phases.

I recommend starting with the Gumby while you get to know the Stratus. You may be perfectly satisfied as is. If not, you can decide whether roll tubes or buy the Hugo 2.

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,320 of 4,463
It's probably good enough, although the Stratus scales up very well with the quality and capability of your DAC. How much performance do you want, and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Also, if tube rolling is in your plans, keep in mind that it can get expensive. What is more important to you: the 'right' tube combination or a better DAC? Depending on your budget, you may have to set priorities and do things in phases.

I recommend starting with the Gumby while you get to know the Stratus. You may be perfectly satisfied as is. If not, you can decide whether roll tubes or buy the Hugo 2.

Thanks for the advice! Will probabaly stay with the good ole Gumby and maybe sell it later for the Hugo 2 DAC. I'll probabaly sell the Mojo at that time as well since I can use the Hugo 2 as a portable DAC as well. Hugo 2 seems like the most versatile DAC of all time and that really appeals to me.

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,321 of 4,463
What I did all last night...

IMG_1359.jpg

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,322 of 4,463
Thanks for the advice! Will probabaly stay with the good ole Gumby and maybe sell it later for the Hugo 2 DAC. I'll probabaly sell the Mojo at that time as well since I can use the Hugo 2 as a portable DAC as well. Hugo 2 seems like the most versatile DAC of all time and that really appeals to me.

Just an observation... The Gumby isn't a great DAC if you are using it via USB but it is a marvelous DAC if you are using it via SPDIF. Honestly, I prefer it to the Hugo1. I have not heard the Hugo2. The Gumby is also far less costly and VS a Hugo2 a Yggy is more fair comparison.

I think they each have their own application but if it were me, between the two, likely circumstance would determine the best DAC - IE if you need something portable vs a stickly at home solution. Is your source a computer via USB or are you able to using different?

The Yggy and the Hugo1 also have different presentations. The Hugo2 I've been told is closer to DAVE in it's presentation and that, again is different still. Often one isn't better than the other, just better for that person... Perhaps if we knew more of your whole situation and if you were asking on a DAC thread rather than an amp thread you may find more specific help/experience.

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,323 of 4,463
Just an observation... The Gumby isn't a great DAC if you are using it via USB but it is a marvelous DAC if you are using it via SPDIF. Honestly, I prefer it to the Hugo1. I have not heard the Hugo2. The Gumby is also far less costly and VS a Hugo2 a Yggy is more fair comparison.

I think they each have their own application but if it were me, between the two, likely circumstance would determine the best DAC - IE if you need something portable vs a stickly at home solution. Is your source a computer via USB or are you able to using different?

The Yggy and the Hugo1 also have different presentations. The Hugo2 I've been told is closer to DAVE in it's presentation and that, again is different still. Often one isn't better than the other, just better for that person... Perhaps if we knew more of your whole situation and if you were asking on a DAC thread rather than an amp thread you may find more specific help/experience.

Thanks for the advice Paulie! I'm just kinda thinking about changing to the Hugo 2 from both the Gumby and Mojo since I love the Chord sound from the Mojo and I would like the power of that the Hugo 2 delivers with its new DAC. The other huge factor is it's ability to be used on the go like a Mojo, which is paramount for me since I'm on the go a lot. I use Optical Input for the Gumby and it sounds great, but when the Stratus arrives I won't have the desk space for the Stratus and a DAC the size of Gumby so I was thinking of going with the Hugo 2 in an upgrade of portability/size and performance as well. I do want to hear the Hugo 2 first before I go out and buy it so I'm sure of the decision, but it seems like the dream DAC/Amp that I can use with my Stratus at home and then take it on the go when I need to. The Gumby is a great DAC, but I think the Hugo 2 would simplify my audio setup and make an amazing pair with the Stratus.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #3,324 of 4,463
Thanks for the advice Paulie! I'm just kinda thinking about changing to the Hugo 2 from both the Gumby and Mojo since I love the Chord sound from the Mojo and I would like the power of that the Hugo 2 delivers with its new DAC. The other huge factor is it's ability to be used on the go like a Mojo, which is paramount for me since I'm on the go a lot. I use Optical Input for the Gumby and it sounds great, but when the Stratus arrives I won't have the desk space for the Stratus and a DAC the size of Gumby so I was thinking of going with the Hugo 2 in an upgrade of portability/size and performance as well. I do want to hear the Hugo 2 first before I go out and buy it so I'm sure of the decision, but it seems like the dream DAC/Amp that I can use with my Stratus at home and then take it on the go when I need to. The Gumby is a great DAC, but I think the Hugo 2 would simplify my audio setup and make an amazing pair with the Stratus.

I agree - I think the Hugo2 is likely a better better fit for your life.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,325 of 4,463
I've received the 6N1P single wire and it's a great tube, for me nr.3 after the tripe mica 6N1P and the 6BQ7AGB. It's impressive that it just bested the 6N1P-EV. For brief impression it has a very good low and mid range but still the high end is a bit lacking as with all 6N1P for me.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3,327 of 4,463
HD800.

You have to keep in mind that the HD800's are nearly impossible to get right and it isn't a headphone I would have a hard time recommending. I would like advise a HE1000 or Utopia before the HE800. Their tonality and feq on the HD800 so screwy: I don't know why they are so popular because they actually a terrible headphone. I feel like they are a lot like the HE6: not plug and play. I have a very strong love/hate relationship with them. It wasn't until I hardwired them, added the SDR and a few other tweaks and put silly expensive gear behind them did they come into their own. Don't get me wrong, they sounded good, even excellent before (Stratus/Lampizator) but now... The Utopia's, however, I could take them out of the box, plug into my phone and enjoy.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #3,328 of 4,463
Changing the subject, I have made HUGE improvements in sonic quality by reducing electronic noise associated with transmission of music to my DAC. I have just reached the endpoint of that process, and the background is now extremely black. For me, the benefits from electrical isolation have been far more significant than from physical isolation and power conditioning (which were relative subtle in comparison). Recordings are now much more transparent and revealing.

Here is what I have done:

NAS => switch => Blue Jeans cat 6a cable => TP-Link fast media converter MC100CM => Duplex Multimode 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable => TP-Link fast media converter MC100CM =>microRendu => Blue Jeans cat 6a cable => Venom USB cable => DAC

I power the microRendu and second TP-Link (closest to the DAC) with the Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply.

You can read about more about the key components at the links below:

microRendu reviews: http://sonore.us/reviews.html

TP-Link electrical isolation: https://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

JS-2 LPS: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

Edit: If you aren't focusing on this issue, you're leaving a lot of performance on the table.

How much of this sound difference would you attribute to using a micro-rendu with LPS, and how much to converting the ethernet to fiber? I found that just putting the last ethernet switch onto my regen and the rendu (and now a SOtM SMS-200) onto a LPS made an improvement in the noise floor. Have you compared before and after with the fiber conversion in place?

I have to say if the prices in that article are accurate its worth trying out, I'm just not getting my head around how introducing that conversion actually helps. The MC100CM with have some 'electrical noise' itself, why would that get into the rendu any less than noise from an Ethernet switch on good, regen'd power?

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,329 of 4,463
HD800.

You have to keep in mind that the HD800's are nearly impossible to get right and it isn't a headphone I would have a hard time recommending. I would like advise a HE1000 or Utopia before the HE800. Their tonality and feq on the HD800 so screwy: I don't know why they are so popular because they actually a terrible headphone. I feel like they are a lot like the HE6: not plug and play. I have a very strong love/hate relationship with them. It wasn't until I hardwired them, added the SDR and a few other tweaks and put silly expensive gear behind them did they come into their own. Don't get me wrong, they sounded good, even excellent before (Stratus/Lampizator) but now... The Utopia's, however, I could take them out of the box, plug into my phone and enjoy.

Given the price difference between Utopias, HEK, and HD800 these days the HD800 is pretty difficult to at least not try out. I agree on neeeing an expensive-ish amp but once your get into Status territory it's all love from me.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,330 of 4,463
HD800.

Yeah the HD800 is an extremely picky headphone and frustrating. I loved the HD800 with my Schitt Asgard and Schitt Bifrost combo when I first got into hifi audio a few years ago. Then I started to get bored of the same ole setup and I looked for an upgrade. I got an HDVA600 and a Gumby and I honestly wasn't too impressed. I found that the highs were too much and things seemed too sharp for my tastes with this new combo and I was pretty disheartened. I thought the balanced connection would add a lot to the setup but to my ears the difference was minimal. I think my disappointing setup could have been a whole lot better if I researched more about what amps were great with the HD800 and would truly transform my audio experience to new heights. I am very busy most of the time sadly and don't have time to go to audio conventions and try out amplifiers with my headphones, so its a struggle finding the perfect amp for my headphones and more importantly my ears, which is why the research is extremely valuable to me when I have the chance to do so. I should have ordered the Stratus awhile ago if I was looking for an experience that would take my hifi setup to new heights, but now I wait for it to arrive eventually... In the meantime though I can enjoy the HD6XX and my Chord Mojo I got for Christmas which are an absolutely amazing combo playing pretty much all the music I listen to extremely well with warmth and detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back