DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 25, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,266 of 4,422
@Rubytiger : the Hugo output is 3vrms too. My totaldac outputs 3,3 vrms and works fine with my sonett.

Let us know what Donald will answer. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #2,268 of 4,422

My DAC, Yamamoto YDA-1 has a high output of about 3V, no problem for the Stratus at all,

How do you use your HD800 ? SE or balanced ? what volume range can you use with the Stratus? with my Sonett + Totaldac, I personaly use the Sonett at 3 for compressed music,  4 - 5 for usual Jazz recordings. 5 -7 sometimes for especially quiet recordings in classical.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,269 of 4,422
@Rubytiger : the Hugo output is 3vrms too. My totaldac outputs 3,3 vrms and works fine with my sonett.

Let us know what Donald will answer. Thanks.

I surely will and he's supposed to let me know in two-three day's. If he read you guy's posts then he probably will say don't worry about it.

Say, how much improvement did the Hugo make on the Sonett? If I had the money I might buy the Hugo instead. I like the thought of it being mobile. What I don't like is having to use smaller cables. I have the audioquest diamond usb cable and some expensive interconnects that I would seriously like to use. I have the Audiophilleo 2 with pure power to try as well. Having all of those makes the 2Qute better for me.

Still, I really like the Hugo. Question, do you us the stock setup with factory cables and such?  Or, have you got it setup with full size stuff? It must sound really good as it comes??

Thanks for your comments.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,270 of 4,422
You should ask to someone else for the Hugo. I hated it both as standalone DAC and DAC/amp. Definitely something I wouldn't' personally use or advice to anyone especially considering the price.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,271 of 4,422
You should ask to someone else for the Hugo. I hated it both as standalone DAC and DAC/amp. Definitely something I wouldn't' personally use or advice to anyone especially considering the price.

Whoa, that was unexpected. I'm looking at the 2Qute which is basically a Hugo in a Chordette chasis. It is priced at $1795.00 here in the U.S. and has all of the full size inputs & outputs of a desk top. A standalone dac meaning no volume control. Could you share your dislikes that I may consider before making a potential mistake?

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2,272 of 4,422

How do you use your HD800 ? SE or balanced ? what volume range can you use with the Stratus? with my Sonett + Totaldac, I personaly use the Sonett at 3 for compressed music,  4 - 5 for usual Jazz recordings. 5 -7 sometimes for especially quiet recordings in classical.  

My DAC has an output level of 3,1 V rms, I am using the HD800 unbalanced, because on the Stratus this enables me using the -6dB and the IEC switch. With these settings my volume range is approx. 2½ (for dynamically compressed music) to 4½,(for classical) .
When connecting the HD800 balanced to the Stratus volume range is 1 to 3.

With the Sonett, balanced out, IEC switch engaged, if I remember correctly, I was using a volume range 3½ to 6½.

BTW, using the same settings (0dB, no IEC) for both balanced and unbalanced I cannot hear a difference between the two connections.

I feel so lucky being able to enjoy all that beautiful music with the DNA Stratus, you can hear how much love for music went into designing and building this wonderful apparatus. Listening often transports me to an other level of consciousness. And no hang over afterwards.

edit: replaced consience for consciousness and added volume range of Sonett

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #2,273 of 4,422

Whoa, that was unexpected. I'm looking at the 2Qute which is basically a Hugo in a Chordette chasis. It is priced at $1795.00 here in the U.S. and has all of the full size inputs & outputs of a desk top. A standalone dac meaning no volume control. Could you share your dislikes that I may consider before making a potential mistake?

With any piece of audio gear, one man's treasure is another mans quick listing on the sales forum...

This may be in vain, but, is there any way you can hear the 2Qute before you buy it?

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,274 of 4,422

With any piece of audio gear, one man's treasure is another mans quick listing on the sales forum...

This may be in vain, but, is there any way you can hear the 2Qute before you buy it?

There's a 30 day guarantee and I can bypass the Burson Conductor's dac. I would be out the shipping but I guess the answer is yes. But that's probably not what you were referring to. I live in a small town where there's no high end audio dealers.

I have set aside $1800 with which to buy a dac for the Stratus. And there's quite a few dac's under that price. I was kind of looking for something different than the 32 Sabre dacs with 9018's. I have one already.

What I would really love is something that would draw me into the music and make me forget everything else.

So unless someone has a killer recommendation I will stick with the 2Qute..

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,275 of 4,422

There's a 30 day guarantee and I can bypass the Burson Conductor's dac. I would be out the shipping but I guess the answer is yes. But that's probably not what you were referring to. I live in a small town where there's no high end audio dealers.

I have set aside $1800 with which to buy a dac for the Stratus. And there's quite a few dac's under that price. I was kind of looking for something different than the 32 Sabre dacs with 9018's. I have one already.

What I would really love is something that would draw me into the music and make me forget everything else.

So unless someone has a killer recommendation I will stick with the 2Qute..

I spent the last year or so auditioning DACs - it was the last piece of my puzzle and I wasn't going to buy one without hearing it.  I ended up having 11 different DAC's in for home audition and heard many more in stores, people's homes etc.  I'm by no means a DAC expert but I know what I personally like.  It's your setup and you have to enjoy it, but if it were me, I would save just a little more and get the Ayre QB-9.  Or check the sales form and get one for your budget...

Best of luck with upgrade:  The Stratus with a good DAC and HD800's is really something else!

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #2,276 of 4,422
   Could you share your dislikes that I may consider before making a potential mistake?

As DAC/AMP with the HD800 : left/righ soundstage, lack of depth, lack of focus , agressive/harsh treble. A friend with a LCD3 listed the same shortcomings before we shared our impressions :wink: . Definitely a bad pairing with at least the HD800 IMO. 

As Standalone DAC with my Sonett , a EC 445 or a SRM727 : soundstage issues are a bit less obvious but the harsh treble really bothered us. 

As Bigfatpaulie stated wisely.. give it a listen and make your own opinion :wink: 

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,277 of 4,422

As DAC/AMP with the HD800 : left/righ soundstage, lack of depth, lack of focus , agressive/harsh treble. A friend with a LCD3 listed the same shortcomings before we shared our impressions :wink: . Definitely a bad pairing with at least the HD800 IMO. 

As Standalone DAC with my Sonett , a EC 445 or a SRM727 : soundstage issues are a bit less obvious but the harsh treble really bothered us. 

As Bigfatpaulie stated wisely.. give it a listen and make your own opinion :wink: 

I certainly value what you both have both said and will consider it carefully. I'm not into 'shock and awe' anymore; but beautiful instrumentals, classical and vocals that convey the performers emotions; that's what I think is truly high end.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,278 of 4,422

My DAC has an output level of 3,1 V rms, I am using the HD800 unbalanced, because on the Stratus this enables me using the -6dB and the IEC switch. With these settings my volume range is approx. 2½ (for dynamically compressed music) to 4½,(for classical) .
When connecting the HD800 balanced to the Stratus volume range is 1 to 3.

With the Sonett, balanced out, IEC switch engaged, if I remember correctly, I was using a volume range 3½ to 6½.

BTW, using the same settings (0dB, no IEC) for both balanced and unbalanced I cannot hear a difference between the two connections.

I feel so lucky being able to enjoy all that beautiful music with the DNA Stratus, you can hear how much love for music went into designing and building this wonderful apparatus. Listening often transports me to an other level of consciousness. And no hang over afterwards.

edit: replaced consience for consciousness and added volume range of Sonett

Very useful . Thks 
beerchug.gif

May 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,279 of 4,422
I have had the Chord 2Qute for a week now. I believe it's going to be great with the Stratus. Really tight bass, life like highs and very good resolution.  I can now understand vocals that I used to have a hard time making out. I have a lot of improvements in instruments as well. More life like timbre and new detail. For an example, I can now hear the actual pick being used by a performer on his guitar.

But, it's not overly analytical as it handles musical notes with great delicacy. The product I have it paired with is an all in one dac/preamp/amp. I'm bypassing the dac into what probably would be less than a $1000 amp. So no way I'm hearing all that it is capable of. Rather, a small taste of what is to come when my Stratus finally arrives.

The 3v's that I was concerned about doesn't seem to be an issue at all. At least not with this amp and it's 48 step attenuator.

What about the Stratus and it's balanced outputs? Is there a noticeable gain over a single ended cable?

May 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2,280 of 4,422
Just received my Stratus loaner (in queue for July delivery). I'm absolutely floored. I don't even know what else to say.. I feel like I lost my virginity all over again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back