DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,251 of 4,398
Has anyone here tried to wire up their stratus to some speakers? I've sent an email to DNA about this a few other things, but I figured asking you guys might be a good idea. I'm seriously considering putting in a down payment.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #2,253 of 4,398
The Stratus' output transformers are optimized for driving headphones only. The output impedance is 8 ohms when using the standard high gain setting. This is reasonable for most headphones but not ideal for loudspeakers. In comparison, a typical 2A3 speaker amp has 2-3 ohm output impedance due to the greater step down ratio of the output transformers. This comes at the expense of the output voltage swing capability needed for lower sensitivity headphones like the K1000 and 600 ohm high impedance headphones.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,254 of 4,398
I have just ordered 2A3 Arioso from Feliks Audio, it is speaker amp (3,8Watts) but id drives very well headphones 60 and 250ohm - tested with Sansuis ss100 and Beyerdynamic DT150. It has very tine hum, very little but drives them very very well (no hum at all with speakers, and no noise). The sound well controlled and the detailing and 3D scene is brillant.
So It could work for speaker amp to drive headphones, but for headphone dedicated transformers it could be a hard to drive speakers (even high efficent 95dB + )

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,255 of 4,398
Unless an amp is made specifically both for headphones and speakers (i.e., it only has speaker taps), there will generally be some hum on headphones....for even the very best amps.  I have a speaker amp to headphone adapter and, while there is some hum, the amp sounds brilliant through the adapter on headphones.  This is because it is a brilliant amplifier, a Fi Audio 2A3/45 set of monoblocks. I mainly play the type 45 tube.

I also own the Stratus. It is dead-quiet and lovely to listen to.  The 2A3 tube and type 45 tube do not sound the same, which is why I have the adapter and i also use it together with an Audio Note 300B power amp, the Conqueror Silver.  There is also some hum with this amp through headphones, but again, it sounds brilliant on headphones.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,256 of 4,398
Thanks for the responses everyone. @Frihed89 I have a similar experience with my 45 amp into my headphones, though the hum was too distracting because of how low I tend to have my volume set to. I'll wait for Donald to get back to my email, and I'll probably put in a down payment.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,258 of 4,398
New question here fella's. I have a Chord 2Qute dac on preorder and according to the spec's it has an output I quote exactly as written to be "3v RMS". I assume that mean's it will be a bit louder than the normal 2v so will it be a problem with the Stratus?

edit: Either everyone's on vacation or no one can answer this question. So, I'm going with; don't worry it will be fine.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,259 of 4,398
  New question here fella's. I have a Chord 2Qute dac on preorder and according to the spec's it has an output I quote exactly as written to be "3v RMS". I assume that mean's it will be a bit louder than the normal 2v so will it be a problem with the Stratus?

edit: Either everyone's on vacation or no one can answer this question. So, I'm going with; don't worry it will be fine.

3 volts is pretty high, more than you need.  The Stratus doesn't strike me as a high gain piece of equipment, but I have a battery powered DAC. I suggest you you write to Donald directly.  He's very responsive.

Too much gain in a system as a whole (+ sensitive speakers/headphones) amplifies noise in my experience with speaker systems.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,260 of 4,398
  3 volts is pretty high, more than you need.  The Stratus doesn't strike me as a high gain piece of equipment, but I have a battery powered DAC. I suggest you you write to Donald directly.  He's very responsive.

Too much gain in a system as a whole (+ sensitive speakers/headphones) amplifies noise in my experience with speaker systems.

Thank's I will do that write away (write a way, get it.. haha) Seriously, I think will try to call him first cause I have one preordered.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #2,261 of 4,398
I almost added this to Frihed89's reply seen above; but feel it necessary to post it separately here incase anyone misses the issue.

Said issue is that the Chord 2Qute has a higher output than most dac's. The spec's say it is 3v RMS. Other's on the 2Qute thread are also questioning Chord reasoning to do this.

I just spoke with Donald and he has asked me to wait a few days' and let him think on it. At that level of output it would most probably limit the Stratus's attenuator to only a couple or so steps (or degree's) before getting loud. The Chord Hugo was not like this and had the normal 2v rms.

I'm am going to post a few questions on the 2Qute thread and try to get to the reason of why they built it so. I will post back here for anyone else who may be considering the 2Qute for a dac.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2,263 of 4,398
  anyone with DNA consider to buy the schiit  Yggdrasil ?

My Stratus won't be done until this fall, but I do have an order in for a Yggy. Hasn't shipped yet unfortunately...

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2,265 of 4,398

Has anyone reviewed the Yggy yet? Someone besides the guy on head-fi?

Perhaps asking on Head-Fi is a bad start 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back