DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,771 of 4,422
  This is very interesting

No, not yet, but he indicated it was possible.  I just need to get back to him, once I finally make up my mind.  He's made a lot of stuff for me that isn't on his web page and does the same for others.  He has a  special page that covers custom work.

May 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,772 of 4,422

Gilbert at BC made an adapter for you that will allow you to use your Stratus to drive your 95dB speakers? a step-down transformer, or a resistor bridge to match 8 Ohms?

I can't find such an adapter on bluecircle.com. Would you please describe what you have?

thanks

See may last post.

May 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,773 of 4,422
  When connecting the HD800 or the LCD-3 with a balanced cable to the 4-pin XLR output, and switch between BAL / SE output I hear no difference in sound, to me it is of the same very high quality with ultra high resolution. Maybe I am still in my honeymoon mood with the Stratus. Does anybody hear a difference?

I am asking this because on the TRS output we can choose between IEC / Low impedance and 0/-6dB output. With the Sonett I prefer the IEC output for the HD800. Before I would build an XLR -> TRS adapter or put a 1/4" plug on the HD800 cable I am curious about your findings and which setting you prefer with the HD800.

The switches only work with the 1/4" jack not the 4-pin XLR.

May 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,775 of 4,422
When i asked him about the adapter he was making to play headphones off of my power amps, he mentioned that it would be possible to design one that would play a headphone output over speakers.  At the time I was not interested in that and so i didn't ask about the design.  I assume it would be resistive to match the impedance, not a transformer.  

The answer is: I don't know, as i just had him make an adapter to play headphones from my SET and PP amps.  It is resistive.  I believe I posted a picture, here.

I'm not that hot to pursue this at the moment, just a little curious.  I don't believe my speakers would have any problem with an 8 or 16 Ohm 1-1.5 W power output from the Stratus (I think it's in that range).

May 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,776 of 4,422
  When i asked him about the adapter he was making to play headphones off of my power amps, he mentioned that it would be possible to design one that would play a headphone output over speakers.  At the time I was not interested in that and so i didn't ask about the design.  I assume it would be resistive to match the impedance, not a transformer.  

The answer is: I don't know, as i just had him make an adapter to play headphones from my SET and PP amps.  It is resistive.  I believe I posted a picture, here.

I'm not that hot to pursue this at the moment, just a little curious.  I don't believe my speakers would have any problem with an 8 or 16 Ohm 1-1.5 W power output from the Stratus (I think it's in that range).

Interesting. On this note, has anyone ever tried to use powered monitors (or powered speakers) from the 3 pin XLR outputs? I think I may have asked Donald this a long time ago and he thought it would be possible. I may try this out.

May 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,778 of 4,422

got it

thank you

If you learn anything further, please let us know.

The new speakers I've ordered are 96dB, and I planned to drive them with my Fi 421A 4wpc SET amp. (I've been using it with the HiFi-Man resistive adapter to drive my HE-6.)

I would certainly like to hear what my Stratus could do, with a proper impedance (resistance) adapter. I think you're right, they produce something like 1.2 wpc. And, I think that Donald told us once way back in this thread. I might go hunting.

May 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,779 of 4,422
haha

it's on the DNA Stratus webpage

"All XLR and 1/4" TRS outputs provide the same power: 1.8W into 50 ohms, 900mW into 100 ohms"

May 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,780 of 4,422

got it

thank you

If you learn anything further, please let us know.

The new speakers I've ordered are 96dB, and I planned to drive them with my Fi 421A 4wpc SET amp. (I've been using it with the HiFi-Man resistive adapter to drive my HE-6.)

I would certainly like to hear what my Stratus could do, with a proper impedance (resistance) adapter. I think you're right, they produce something like 1.2 wpc. And, I think that Donald told us once way back in this thread. I might go hunting.

I've been eyeing the 412A amp., but the last time i spoke with Don, his lead time was close to 2 years.  When I got my monos, I only had to wait 6 months.  Do you know what make/model of OPTs you have? (I added a "better" pair of Magnequest OPTs with larger secondaries to my 2A3/45 monos, and got a moderate improvement in bandwidth and a more lively presentation (but still pretty neutral).  What speakers have you ordered? DeVore Orangutans by any chance? 

May 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,781 of 4,422

I hear no difference either, I don't think the switch affects anything. I greatly prefer running my HD800 with the 4 pin XLR.

But you prefer to use the XLR output, is that for a specific reason? Do others, when phones connected to XLR abd with a balanced cable, hear a difference between SE and BAL output?

The switches only work with the 1/4" jack not the 4-pin XLR.

I'd better rephrase my question: When connecting the HD800 to the TRS output, do you prefer the IEC or LOW setting?

May 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,782 of 4,422
  But you prefer to use the XLR output, is that for a specific reason? Do others, when phones connected to XLR abd with a balanced cable, hear a difference between SE and BAL output?

I'd better rephrase my question: When connecting the HD800 to the TRS output, do you prefer the IEC or LOW setting?

On the HD800 TRS question, I generally preferred the LOW setting but for many less than stellar recordings would switch to IEC which took a little off of the top end. On the XLR output, I'm hearing more focus, clarity, and weight. YMMV, but I would recommend trying it out if you can.

May 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,783 of 4,422
I planned to drive them with my Fi 421A 4wpc SET amp. (I've been using it with the HiFi-Man resistive adapter to drive my HE-6.)

You do not fool around! Fi! Nice. Feel free to post a picture of that thing, I doubt too many people even know of Fi and Don Garber.

May 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,784 of 4,422
So for HD800's what are the recommended 2A3‘s? Sophia Princess, Shuguang Treasure, EML on the new production tubes or something like an RCA or Slyvania on the NOS?

May 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,785 of 4,422
You do not fool around! Fi! Nice. Feel free to post a picture of that thing, I doubt too many people even know of Fi and Don Garber.

Here you go: a picture of one of them, a picture of the inside (yes, it is a 2-stage (DC) amp), and I have replaced the OPT on each with a larger MQ model with more windings in the secondary.  My Stratus sits by my bed.  The headphone amp is BC SBH with a custom cap pack and also has a pre-amp. I've recently replaced the preamp part with a custom BC preamp that uses the SBH power supply and cap pack, but has 3 output boards for the preamp.

and a picture of them in my Christmas system, taken in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back