DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,546 of 4,358
  To Greed and Jester,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's nearly impossible to find high-end headphones to audition in Copenhagen.

I'm not going down the blind (deaf) buy road on headphones again.  

Several ppl have commented here that the HD800 sounds better on the Stratus than they have ever heard. I use my HD800 with my Stratus, only rarely swapping in my LA7000. 

If your HD800 doesn't sound right, why don't you try to exchange it?

I had two before this one - one sounded too bright, the other too dark, but this one is ***just right*** - and in fact outstanding in all respects. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,547 of 4,358

Several ppl have commented here that the HD800 sounds better on the Stratus than they have ever heard. I use my HD800 with my Stratus, only rarely swapping in my LA7000. 

If your HD800 doesn't sound right, why don't you try to exchange it?

I had two before this one - one sounded too bright, the other too dark, but this one is ***just right*** - and in fact outstanding in all respects. 

Thanks for your interest.  I bought it in the US and can't exchange it here.  I am talking with the dealer i bought it from in the US about this.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,549 of 4,358

Why don't you try and demo a local HD800 or bring the Stratus to a local HD800 dealer?

Because there are none to demo without buying them and because the "dealers" i spoke with (electronically) would not accept a foreign purchase item for an exchange or refund.  Most of the flagship headphones in DK  are purchased outside the country.  Average Danes don't have that much money!

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,550 of 4,358
I recently borrowed a friends HD800 to try out with the Stratus.  In the past I have never liked them, finding them far to harsh for my ears, and preferring the LCD-3 by a large margin.  I recently heard the HD800 with the Schiit Vali, and didn't mind it at all, and as lately I have been listening to more orchestral music so I thought I would give the Senn's another trial..

I was blown away at how nice they sounded on my setup, we compared the Vali and the stratus back to back - no contest really (as you would hope given the price difference) And the LCD-3's and HD800 back to back - with the HD800 sounding great on orchestral music and the LCD-3 sounding better on anything bass centric (like pop, electro etc)  I was amazed how the HD800 made orchestral music sound muddled on the LCD-3's!

So either - I'm slowly loosing my sensitivity to bright headphones as I get older & deaf(er) , my friend has a really nice / well burned in pair of HD800, or the stratus / DP-777 / HD800 combo is really good.

The tubes in the Stratus are the Sophia Princess + Marconi u52 and the ultra low noise pearl cryo.  The AMR DAC is run from a Jplay based music server.

Now I'm thinking of buying the HD800's which has never crossed my mind in the years that I have demo'ed them in stores.  Fortunately I have a good local dealer who is able to give great service and lengthy auditions.

I have been told by 2 friends with good ears that they both prefer the 800's to the 812.. make sure you have a listen to the AKG's - don't buy them "deaf" :wink:

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,551 of 4,358
The HD800 is one of those amp dependent headphones that's really hard to get right.  Mine was put away for nearly 2 years before I paired it with the Liquid Glass with the proper tubes + the Copper Venom Toxic Cable.....I swore to myself that this was the end of the journey for me in head fi till I made the mistake of comin back to head fi and seeing the GSX and Stratus (both of which I'm waiting for).  Prior to that, I was religiously listening to my Audeze and Hifiman stuff (HE-500, HE-6, LCD-2, LCD-3) and now.....they are the ones collecting dust now as the HD800 is always the one I reach for first.  If your HD800 is sounding awkward with the stratus...I have no doubts it's time to get that pair checked out by Sennheiser.  Good luck in resolving that....the reward is worth it for sure.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,552 of 4,358
  Because there are none to demo without buying them and because the "dealers" i spoke with (electronically) would not accept a foreign purchase item for an exchange or refund.  Most of the flagship headphones in DK  are purchased outside the country.  Average Danes don't have that much money!

What's the serial number of your HD800's?  Apparently there may be some variation depending on age..

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,553 of 4,358
  What's the serial number of your HD800's?  Apparently there may be some variation depending on age..

Thanks, I'll check.  Is the number physically located on the headphone, or on the box?  I haven't noticed one on the phones, but I haven't looked.

Do you know of any reference that summarizes the differences and any controversy about it?

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,554 of 4,358
    I was amazed how the HD800 made orchestral music sound muddled on the LCD-3's!

I have been told by 2 friends with good ears that they both prefer the 800's to the 812.. make sure you have a listen to the AKG's - don't buy them "deaf" :wink:

^^ gavtorn -- Thanks for the story, and most of all for these two tips. I've been lusting to hear the LCDX since reading the new Stereophile review, and also the new 812. Now I will relax and enjoy my HD800 with my Stratus!

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,555 of 4,358

^^ gavtorn -- Thanks for the story, and most of all for these two tips. I've been lusting to hear the LCDX since reading the new Stereophile review, and also the new 812. Now I will relax and enjoy my HD800 with my Stratus!

has anyone heard the LCDX with the stratus? 

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,556 of 4,358
I really want to reinforce Gavtorn's caution that you actually try to listen to headphones within your headphone system (source+amp+cables).  I think personal sound and music preferences play a big role, here.  It strikes me, too, that younger headphone buyers may not have that much experience with speaker systems that, in my mind at least, are the standard for judging headphone performance.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,558 of 4,358

Thanks, I'll check.  Is the number physically located on the headphone, or on the box?  I haven't noticed one on the phones, but I haven't looked.

Do you know of any reference that summarizes the differences and any controversy about it?

Thanks.

The serial number should be engraved on the top of the headband. There was a thread about different serial numbers but to my knowledge there is no definitive conclusion on this topic.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,559 of 4,358
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,560 of 4,358
Got a notice from Donald about the Stratus....seems like I'm about to join the club. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I'd say my wallet is ready on the tubes but I've already prepped myself tube wise thoroughly for this (hopefully).  Can't wait to hear the magic.  Thanks for everything so far Donald!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back