DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,561 of 4,456
  has anyone heard the LCDX with the stratus? 

Yep - a mate bought his brand new pair over last week.  We had the LCD-3's and HD800's as well as the Schiit Vali for an amp reference.

I have also heard the X with a few other amps but only at a headphone store and not back to back with the stratus..   The 3's are far harder to drive than the X and I notice more of a difference between amps with the 3's. 

I need to have another listen to the X with the stratus, however it does nothing wrong :)  My favourite amp with the X so far has been the Luxman p700u (very expensive) - I think the stratus is on a similar level, but would need to hear them back to back to be sure.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,562 of 4,456

^^ gavtorn -- Thanks for the story, and most of all for these two tips. I've been lusting to hear the LCDX since reading the new Stereophile review, and also the new 812. Now I will relax and enjoy my HD800 with my Stratus!

I had more of a LCD-3 - HD800 session last night - the only music I prefer on the 3's is stuff with deep basslines. Think massive attack etc...

If only there was a way to get the bass depth from the 3's and the mids / highs of the 800's.. :wink:  

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,563 of 4,456
  I really want to reinforce Gavtorn's caution that you actually try to listen to headphones within your headphone system (source+amp+cables).  I think personal sound and music preferences play a big role, here.  It strikes me, too, that younger headphone buyers may not have that much experience with speaker systems that, in my mind at least, are the standard for judging headphone performance.

Especially when the gear costs big $$$!  There have been a few DAC's I have heard this year that have cost thousands and I thought sounded terrible (other people loved em tho)

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,564 of 4,456
Well, for whatever reason, the HD800 and LDC-2 (admittedly an early version) don't seem to jive with my musical senses.  So be it.

I would like to hear from Stratus owners who regularly use HD650s.  What does it do for the Stratus? I'm especially interested in your replies if you listen to classical music (any kind) and "subdued" male vocalists, be it Blues, Americana, Folk and even some Alt Country music a la Jay Farrar?  I like the acoustic accompaniment of this music, especially.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but can you give it a try?  

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,565 of 4,456
  Well, for whatever reason, the HD800 and LDC-2 (admittedly an early version) don't seem to jive with my musical senses.  So be it.

I would like to hear from Stratus owners who regularly use HD650s.  What does it do for the Stratus? I'm especially interested in your replies if you listen to classical music (any kind) and "subdued" male vocalists, be it Blues, Americana, Folk and even some Alt Country music a la Jay Farrar?  I like the acoustic accompaniment of this music, especially.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but can you give it a try?  

Thanks.

I had the HD650 for a short time and sold it as I preferred the HD800 for all genres. But it is a great performer with the Stratus, no doubt about that. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,566 of 4,456
Hey guys!! Just joined club here 
Finally my audio rack got some color. Stratus + TH900 no more either silver or black 
biggrin.gif

I haven't had much time to listen to them but I know my plan for the weekend :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,567 of 4,456
Finally my audio rack got some color. Stratus + TH900 no more either silver or black :D

Congrats! Please keep us apprised of the situation, especially regarding the TH900 + Stratus pairing. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,569 of 4,456
Finally my audio rack got some color. Stratus + TH900 no more either silver or black 
biggrin.gif

amazing pic - please take lots more. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,570 of 4,456
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,571 of 4,456
is that an lcdx? Let me know what the x sounds like on the stratus please?

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,574 of 4,456
  I will, but for now I just finished setting all up and need to go back to work to make more money to compensate my damage lol.

That must be an EML 5U4G, but I can't quite tell what your 2A3s are. Would you please tell us what tubes you are using?

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,575 of 4,456
biggrin.gif

I see you collect sneakers. Oh how we obsess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back