DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,591 of 4,464
I'm currently runnin Dubstep Girl's U52 Marconi, the pearl Cryo 6N1P and rolling NOS tubes like the Ken-Rads military glass, RCA ribbon tubes, Sylvania straight plates, Sylvania Spring top, Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T etc.......the amp is performing amazingly well.  I have never heard a tube amp so silent in background actually, the POT adjustments on top is nice to tune out stuff on the individual channels.  The unit is built like a bomb proof tank  with amazing craftmanship.  I am still deciding what I like most but I can say I am loving the balance of the Sylvania Spring tops the most since it gives a good tonal balance to the mids/uppers.  The Shuguangs are also really great with very full notes across the spectrum.  This amp seems to respond the best to the HD800 out of my headphone collection thus far....tried listening to the Audeze and Hifiman and though sounded great, the HD800 really is where it's @ with this bad boy.  I gotta take pics and will post more impressions as I listen more.....overwhelming new toy syndrome right now.  Thanks again Donald for the wonderful build!

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,592 of 4,464

A new rack for a cleaner layout, much more wife-friendly 
bigsmile_face.gif
 ( I have since swapped out the GEC U52 rectifier though)

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,593 of 4,464
can you take more pics with different angles of the stratus with those shuguang tubes? 

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,595 of 4,464
nice froger, some quick pics of my setup.....had the black thing going till the Stratus....but I think it's awesome that it stands out hah:

Excuse the pics, not exactly that easy to take sharp pics in dim warm light without a tripod.  I'll do my stuff some day with pictures when I have more time.  Back to listening. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #1,596 of 4,464
Mar 8, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,598 of 4,464
sweet pics guys thanks for posting!

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #1,599 of 4,464
what does the emission labs rectifier sound like in the stratus? 

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,600 of 4,464
  what does the emission labs rectifier sound like in the stratus? 

Compare to stock rectifier, to my ears, it's more dynamic, punchy I think it makes mellow, lush Stratus little more exciting without loosing too much of musicality.

BTW has anyone compared EML Meshed plate to Shuguang Treasure or Natural? I think EML Meshed plates have good amount of air, dynamic and separation but they make Stratus sounds little too much of SS amp like for my taste. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,601 of 4,464
Hey theres my u52!
biggrin.gif

Indeed, running great thanks for the great buy!

The Stratus has been a dream.....just makes me hope I had more time with the thing....lately work and family seems to just take over.....waiting for my play time.  But I am very impressed by the dark background on this type of tube amp....the music does seem to creep to you out of thin air and strikes you hard with the full and richness or the sound signature.  I am still playing with 2A3 combos but so far I am loving Sylvania springtops, Slyvania Flat plates for dynamics with a good balance.  I really like the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T and the Ken Rad military VT-95 more listening to midrange vocals because u get an extra layer or sweet richness with these it seems.  Fantastic amp.....though the Liquid Glass + HD800 would be hard to beat but this has now become my reference combo for now.  Should be an interesting comparison when the GS-X rolls in.  Happy to be part of the family here and thanks everyone for the great recommendations on the tubes.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,602 of 4,464
Can anyone here say what the Audio GD M7 is like with the DNA? Are there brightness issues? I wonder would i be better off with the NAD M51 or something. I hope the new Schiit YGGD can compete with these DAC's 

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #1,604 of 4,464
Can anyone here say what the Audio GD M7 is like with the DNA? Are there brightness issues? I wonder would i be better off with the NAD M51 or something. I hope the new Schiit YGGD can compete with these DAC's 

I never felt M7 is bright. My experience with it was only with USB input, seems like an OR5 is able to improve it much more.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,605 of 4,464
Just placed my order the Stratus yesterday, according to Donald it should be ready sometime by middle of June. The next 3 months is going to be very exciting while waiting for it!
congrats! Good to know that my Stratus will have some company nearby in the near future :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back