DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,531 of 4,456
My HD800 saga gets more interesting!  I took the Stratus and my HD800s down to my local Audio Note dealer.  He and 3 other guys, who hang out there, plus his tech listened to them, some Grados he sells (I can never remember the model numbers) and the HD558s and 650s, plus AKG monitoring headphones.  To a person, they all agreed that ALL of the other headphones sounded better with the Stratus!  And they all pointed to dullness in the mid-range and bright unnatural treble...bass was fine.  I did not participate -- i just wanted see what others heard.  Oh, everyone thought the Stratus sounded absolutely lovely with all of the other headphones, some better than others

I may have a bad pair, or the HD800 is incompatible with the coupling caps i installed as a substitute for the Jensens.  I have the following options: 1.  Try a bunch of other caps, but oh the $$$. I may just try some Russian K-40s and bypass them with some 0.02uf K-40s; 2. Contact Moon Audio and see if they can do something for me; 3 Buy some different headphones, ones that I can hear this time, and NOT orthos.

You know, I've had really good luck with the electronics I've purchased over the years, but not headphones.  I don't like the LCD-2s or the HD800s.  The best sounding headphone i have heard on the Stratus is still the K-701, although it doesn't do bass very well.

So, it goes in Denmark.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,532 of 4,456
My HD800 saga gets more interesting!  I took the Stratus and my HD800s down to my local Audio Note dealer.  He and 3 other guys, who hang out there, plus his tech listened to them, some Grados he sells (I can never remember the model numbers) and the HD558s and 650s, plus AKG monitoring headphones.  To a person, they all agreed that ALL of the other headphones sounded better with the Stratus!  And they all pointed to dullness in the mid-range and bright unnatural treble...bass was fine.  I did not participate -- i just wanted see what others heard.  Oh, everyone thought the Stratus sounded absolutely lovely with all of the other headphones, some better than others

I may have a bad pair, or the HD800 is incompatible with the coupling caps i installed as a substitute for the Jensens.  I have the following options: 1.  Try a bunch of other caps, but oh the $$$. I may just try some Russian K-40s and bypass them with some 0.02uf K-40s; 2. Contact Moon Audio and see if they can do something for me; 3 Buy some different headphones, ones that I can hear this time, and NOT orthos.

You know, I've had really good luck with the electronics I've purchased over the years, but not headphones.  I don't like the LCD-2s or the HD800s.  The best sounding headphone i have heard on the Stratus is still the K-701, although it doesn't do bass very well.

So, it goes in Denmark.
Maybe give the TH900 a try.... Failing that the Abyss or 009 should cure what ails you.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,533 of 4,456

So, it goes in Denmark.

If you like the K701, why not stick with AKG and go for the new K812? Reviews are hit or miss, but they may workout for you. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,534 of 4,456
or maybe lcdx? 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,536 of 4,456
Here I come..  :D   Well, thinking about it anyway.  You and Cante Ista has got me really thinking about going this way.  Good to know it pairs well with the DP-777.   I'm also looking at the EC BA.  So many choices.  What's the wait time on a new Stratus anyway?

What headphone do you intend to use Stratus with? While HD800 with Stratus is a wonderful match, I can imagine your HE-6 with F1J should be equally capable and both headphones driven to their potential, I feel, are more similar than different. Just thought there isn't much gain to go by this route unless you miss the comfort and soundstage of HD800. Furthermore, you still have the dynahi coming your way :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,537 of 4,456
What headphone do you intend to use Stratus with? While HD800 with Stratus is a wonderful match, I can imagine your HE-6 with F1J should be equally capable and both headphones driven to their potential, I feel, are more similar than different. Just thought there isn't much gain to go by this route unless you miss the comfort and soundstage of HD800. Furthermore, you still have the dynahi coming your way
smily_headphones1.gif

what is the alpha dog like with the dna? 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,538 of 4,456
In my home set-up with dp-777 and Stratus,I find the Alpha dogs a poor match. To my ears, the sound is congested, slow and too thick, just not enjoyable. My office rig of modded EE Minimax, Ifi itube and O2 amp sounds much better with Alpha dogs. Just my opinion, others may hear differently, can check with other Stratus owners with the ADs too, like Greed.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,539 of 4,456
To Greed and Jester,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's nearly impossible to find high-end headphones to audition in Copenhagen.

I'm not going down the blind (deaf) buy road on headphones again.  

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,541 of 4,456
What headphone do you intend to use Stratus with? While HD800 with Stratus is a wonderful match, I can imagine your HE-6 with F1J should be equally capable and both headphones driven to their potential, I feel, are more similar than different. Just thought there isn't much gain to go by this route unless you miss the comfort and soundstage of HD800. Furthermore, you still have the dynahi coming your way
smily_headphones1.gif

Just looking to try different things.  I never owned a tube amp - However, I've listened to many of them like the sonett (no stratus) the sonett didn't do anything for me with the HD800s.  Your correct.  The HD800 does in fact sound pretty good with the F1J.  I would like to compare it to a high quality tube amp side by side.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,545 of 4,456
Any Stratus owners in the Boston area? I would really love the opportunity to hear one prior to purchasing. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back