DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,516 of 4,456

its been discussed previously with mr dna, and no unfortunately the 596 is not 100% compatible

and i'm loving my new 2014 Mercedes CLA 250, unfortunately it doesn't come in Donald North Blue 

Congratulations on the new ride. Now march on and start reburying the goods.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,518 of 4,456
Sure all the tubes and gear. We all do it. We all own the same stuff  a bunch of times. LOL
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,521 of 4,456
Hi Frank,

That's a beautiful bike but no, I'm not going to purchase it. I have some friends with motorcycles who have been in accidents, and I don't want to join them. I'll watch from the sidelines
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,525 of 4,456
How does the Stratus handle the sub-bass frequencies? Some tube amps seem to struggle with bass roll-off, can the Stratus comfortably drive the TH900 (for example) to produce solid sub-bass?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,526 of 4,456
How does the Stratus handle the sub-bass frequencies? Some tube amps seem to struggle with bass roll-off, can the Stratus comfortably drive the TH900 (for example) to produce solid sub-bass?

ask greed, as far as i know he really likes the DNA/TH900 combo. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,527 of 4,456

only cheap tube amps struggle with bass roll off. 

ive never had a tube amp truly feel rolled off in the bass unless im using cheap tubes.

of course SS will generally have deeper and better bass, but now tube amps are good enough where the differences aren't as big.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,529 of 4,456
  After more than 150 hours burn-in, tweaking the cables and music player, I think I have finally heard what the Stratus is at least capable of. First, I have to say in my system with the Stratus, I was really surprised that I was able to hear every change I tweaked in the chain.  Being a tube amplifier, I thought it cannot be that transparent, and how wrong I was. Once you get the set-up right, the transparency of the entire chain is simply incredible and one can get so close to the performer/performance. Others have commented on the pitch black background of the Stratus and the DP-777 DAC in my chain too shared the same strength. Coupled together, music, notes and instruments just come out of nowhere. I remembered someone using the analogy of “in outer space” and I completely agree.

6 months ago, I sold away my main rig of Audio-gd M7, M8, LCD-2, HE-6 and decided to build a new rig around HD800. I thought it was a big risk, as I didn’t enjoy HD800 on M7+M8 much and the only saving grace was its comfort and soundstage. I decided to carry on with my plan anyway, as I have read that HD800 can change with different set-ups. So I got the DAC first and with the DP-777, I managed to get the tonality and presentation on the HD800 to what I want, but there was still missing parts- the sound while organic and pleasing, still lacked the bit of engagement and body (which I attributed to the cold/neutral nature of HD800). That was when I decided to switch from my GS-X MkII order to the Stratus. If GS-X (wire with gain nature) is just going to let me hear what the DAC is and not going to do anything else, I am not sure if it will be able to complete the picture for me. However, that also gave me another thing to worry- Tube DAC + Tube amplifier? Not too sure if that is the best idea. While I found someone (Gavtorn) using the same combo and has gotten great results and that gave me some assurance, I continued to worry at the back of my mind. Until I finally hear the Stratus in my system…

I am glad to report that there is no muddiness or tubey syrup in the sound at all with this combo. The music is clearer than I have ever heard and the transparency simply makes everything sound so real. The DP-777 has an uncanny ability to suck me into the music due to its flow and presentation, and now the Stratus does the next level of making me dance with the music. If the DAC is said to “bring life to music”, the Stratus is able to make “the life livelier” with more emotions.  In addition, the Status fills out the flesh/meat to the body with its “richness and juiciness” nicely and now with the HD800, it finally possesses the body and engagement factor that the orthodynamic headphones are so capable of. Together with the other strengths of HD800 (detailed, comfort and soundstage), the Stratus has completed everything I desire in music listening with the HD800.

Many have reported that Stratus + HD800 is “special” and it indeed is. However, if you read around in the Head-fi forum, you basically see the word “special” everywhere, so when everything is “special”, nothing seems “special” anymore. In this forum, due to the rampant use of hyperboles (including myself), reviews can get lost in translation due to its subjectivity and adjectives become meaningless.  Every individual set-up is so different with the many components in the chain, so even with the same headphone, DAC and amplifier, one may still hear differently. You really have to hear it with your own components to understand and judge the sound yourself. I am not sure if you can find the same sound Nirvana as I do, but I certainly have. To end off, kudos to Donald for creating such an amazing amplifier and providing excellent service. Last but not least, I will also like to thank all the Stratus owners who have helped me or steered me to my current set-up.

Here I come..  
biggrin.gif
  Well, thinking about it anyway.  You and Cante Ista has got me really thinking about going this way.  Good to know it pairs well with the DP-777.   I'm also looking at the EC BA.  So many choices.  What's the wait time on a new Stratus anyway?

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,530 of 4,456
I checked with Donald about Stratus availability in January, and he told me I could expect one in late May. Being impatient, I instead jumped on an in-stock Sonnet 2. Donald burned it in and dropped it off at my house a few days later (we both live in LA). I have been enormously impressed with the Sonnet 2. Speed, clarity, heft, imaging. It is just a great amp (and smart looking too). If the Stratus is that much better, wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back