DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #618 of 4,463
Quote:
Is anyone using mid-tier headphones with the Stratus? I would imagine some of these would really scale to really high levels (like DT770/880/990, HD600/650, etc....)

On the Stratus, I've never heard the HD650 sound more spacious, dimensional and smooth. Ive upgraded the cable to a BTG Midnight Series balanced cable which widens the soundstage a bit and doesn't stray too far from its characteristic dark sound, maybe even emphasizing it. I hate to admit it but I think I favor the HD650 over the HD800 and LCD3, even on the Stratus.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #619 of 4,463
how much better would something like the stratus 2a3 be from my WA2/WA6-SE for the HD 800? any1 hear it with t1?

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #620 of 4,463
Quote:
how much better would something like the stratus be from my WA2 for the HD 800? any1 hear it with t1 btw?

I had the T1. Too light-sounding for my taste. The Stratus did nothing to change my opinion of it. I actually liked it on Bryston more. More upper-mid level detail, linear through the midrange and faster bass.

Of course tubing rolling could change my opinion of the T1. But I think Beyers are just not my thing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #621 of 4,463
Quote:

I had the T1. Too light-sounding for my taste. The Stratus did nothing to change my opinion of it. I actually liked it on Bryston more. More upper-mid level detail, linear through the midrange and faster bass.

Of course tubing rolling could change my opinion of the T1. But I think Beyers are just not my thing.

Interesting. I would imagine the T1 to do well with the Stratus, I heard a balanced T1 through the BA and it was nothing short of amazing and was a better combo for me than the HD800/BA. Are these with stock 2A3's? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #622 of 4,463
Quote:
how much better would something like the stratus 2a3 be from my WA2/WA6-SE for the HD 800? any1 hear it with t1?

I would venture to say that the Stratus is in a completely different league. That was my impression of it next to the Sonnett 2 which would probably be a closer comparison. The Stratus/HD800 is sublime, upgrading the 2A3's do make a difference and should be taken into consideration with this amp.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #624 of 4,463
The HD580s absolutely kill with the Stratus!  Been listening to that combo a lot lately...

But to go back to the BA/Stratus cage fight for a moment, yes, Radiohead, a rather large grain of salt is needed here.  The word "consensus" is overblown.  Whoever said the HD800/PX4-BA combo was "barely listenable" is partially deaf.  I am listening to that combination right now as a matter of fact and it is sublime.  Big, bold wide sound stage with incredible detail and bass to die for.  The HD800s have an uncanny knack of bringing out the best in my amps...
wink.gif
  So let's not get ahead of ourselves on this thread and feel compelled to shoot down the BA.  I happen to think the Stratus is better with a larger set of headphones but that's just me - at least I happen to own both. The BA is still a *killer* amp that sits right beside me all day. 

As this is the Stratus thread, however, I'd thought I'd throw up a picture of my Stratus under power with the EML 5U4G and the newest horses in the stable: the RCA Single Plate 2A3s.  Yup.  I'm simply blown away.  (Also partially featuring the Mapleshade goods in use):

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #626 of 4,463
Quote:

I would venture to say that the Stratus is in a completely different league. That was my impression of it next to the Sonnett 2 which would probably be a closer comparison. The Stratus/HD800 is sublime, upgrading the 2A3's do make a difference and should be taken into consideration with this amp.

thats what i was thinking 

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #627 of 4,463
When you had the T1, did you try them with the output impedance switch on the Stratus set to IEC for 120 ohm output impedance?
Quote:

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #629 of 4,463
hmmm after reading quite a bit now i'm seriously considering this amp or the WA22 as an upgrade to my wa6-se/wa2 (after tax refund + maybe selling HE-500 or something)..... since i really enjoy my T1, HD 800, LCD-2 the most and it seems this amp drives all 3 really well.

Donald, i saw that you do not want to make the amp in the traditional black/silver cause blue is a fun unique color for an amp. but, is ferrari red or hot pink a la colorware a possibility? 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back