DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #647 of 4,463
Quote:
...and you and Rob each sold it off, iirc...

-Daniel

Sold it for an LF and then the LF a few months after GS-X arrived (all's good now). 
size]

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #648 of 4,463
Quote:
Sorry, but IMO, "body" is one of the greatest strengths of the WA22; especially with the HD800s. Had this discussion a few years back with Skylab and he agreed they were a fantastic pairing. But then, it really depends on the tubes used (just like most tube amps). That said, I'd love the hear the Stratus...looks very intriguing!

It could've been the tubes but I didn't find any strong points of the pairing whatsoever. I actually found my upgraded Crack a better sounding combo with any of the Senn's I tried than the WA6/WA22 I tried. The biggest disappointment for me and since I run balanced for all my gear, hp's, amp and dac, the balanced out on the WA22 was no different to it's SE, if balanced had provided some increase in resolution of the sound or a more controlled soundstage with the HD800 than my impressions would've been a bit more different and for almost $2k I find that unacceptable.

The LF is one amp I'm really intrigued about after hearing that it is one of the best amp pairings with the 800's.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #649 of 4,463
so WA22 isn't necessarily better than WA2/WA6-SE? and its easily bested by the DNA amp and others?

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #650 of 4,463
Quote:
It could've been the tubes but I didn't find any strong points of the pairing whatsoever. I actually found my upgraded Crack a better sounding combo with any of the Senn's I tried than the WA6/WA22 I tried. The biggest disappointment for me and since I run balanced for all my gear, hp's, amp and dac, the balanced out on the WA22 was no different to it's SE, if balanced had provided some increase in resolution of the sound or a more controlled soundstage with the HD800 than my impressions would've been a bit more different and for almost $2k I find that unacceptable.

The LF is one amp I'm really intrigued about after hearing that it is one of the best amp pairings with the 800's.

Must have been some pretty poor tubes. That said, I thought the WA22 (with the right tubes) was as on par with the LF with the HD800s. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #651 of 4,463
Quote:
Must have been some pretty poor tubes. That said, I thought the WA22 (with the right tubes) was as on par with the LF with the HD800s. 

I may need to re-evaluate my findings with another set of tubes if I ever make it around to testing the WA22 again if it's that much of an improvement and almost on par with an LF.

@DubGirl: The WA22 was slightly better than the WA6SE. Not by a large margin.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #653 of 4,463
Best WA22 setup EML 5UG4, Sylvania 7236, Hytron 5692/Sylvania 6SN7W.

WA22 is a good amp it's just easy to find better amps for less, not necessarily tube though.  For example I thought the B22 was pretty much a direct drop in for the WA22 load out above for half the price.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #654 of 4,463
The biggest plus for this amp in my opinion is that NOS tubes are available.    The 300b and px4 amps can't say that.  I will take a wild guess here that a $300 pair of NOS 2A3's sound better than any of the new production 2A3 tubes,  am I right ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #655 of 4,463
Quote:
The biggest plus for this amp in my opinion is that NOS tubes are available.    The 300b and px4 amps can't say that.  I will take a wild guess here that a $300 pair of NOS 2A3's sound better than any of the new production 2A3 tubes,  am I right ?

Could be. I'd like to try some of the NOS 2A3's. Having said that, many of us are having great results with the Sophia Princess and EML's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back