DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,422 of 4,463
Sold my Yggy and got a level 2 Pavane. I'm happy to report the Stratus is transparent enough that the differences are easily spotted. Can't wait until next year when the Stellaris arrives.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #3,424 of 4,463
OK, I'll bite. How long from ordering a DNA Stratus until it is delivered?

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3,426 of 4,463
Emailed Mr. North. Nice guy and helpful. I think a Stratus will give me a different flavor for my Ragg /Yiggy system. I just have to get through Dec and Jan which is estimated tax time. I may get a wild hair and send him the initial fee. We will see.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,427 of 4,463
Emailed Mr. North. Nice guy and helpful. I think a Stratus will give me a different flavor for my Ragg /Yiggy system. I just have to get through Dec and Jan which is estimated tax time. I may get a wild hair and send him the initial fee. We will see.
The wait is extremely painful, but also extremely worth it! Just have patience and you will be rewarded.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,428 of 4,463
I have Ethers, but wonder if Senn HD 800S and Focal Utopia might match well with a Stratus?

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #3,429 of 4,463
I have Ethers, but wonder if Senn HD 800S and Focal Utopia might match well with a Stratus?
I’ve heard the HD800(S) are the best pair with the Stratus, but I’m holding out for my Focal Utopias as well because these just sound ridiculously good. When I actually get the Stratus I’ll give you an opinion on how it sounds with my Focal Utopias and my Sennheiser HD800.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #3,430 of 4,463
I actually like the year wait. Gives me time to purchase NOS tubes for it. I will order Nov or Dec. That will give me a nice Christmas gift for 2018.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3,431 of 4,463
Any recomendations for NOS tubes for Stratus? What about current available 2A3 and 5U4G tubes??

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,432 of 4,463
Any recomendations for NOS tubes for Stratus? What about current available 2A3 and 5U4G tubes??

Look, the Stratus sounds very good with the tubes Donald sends. I recommend you wait until you hear your Stratus for a while and then ease into new tubes, once you become familiar the sound. You will make better choices this way and probably save yourself some buyers remorse for hasty purchases.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,434 of 4,463
I’ve heard the HD800(S) are the best pair with the Stratus, but I’m holding out for my Focal Utopias as well because these just sound ridiculously good. When I actually get the Stratus I’ll give you an opinion on how it sounds with my Focal Utopias and my Sennheiser HD800.

I think it is a bit of a matter of preference. I have/had both with mine. The Utopia's have a funny unnatural papery quality that irked me but many love them so, there you go. When I first got the Utopia's my socks were blown clean off, but after the honey moon was over my love for them faded. They definitely have a lot of wow factor when you first pick them up and put them on, especially versus the HD800's but long term they weren't for me. It took about a year for the shine to wear off for me.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,435 of 4,463
I think it is a bit of a matter of preference. I have/had both with mine. The Utopia's have a funny unnatural papery quality that irked me but many love them so, there you go. When I first got the Utopia's my socks were blown clean off, but after the honey moon was over my love for them faded. They definitely have a lot of wow factor when you first pick them up and put them on, especially versus the HD800's but long term they weren't for me. It took about a year for the shine to wear off for me.

Outside the soundstage, what made you keep the HD800 over the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back