DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #3,407 of 4,456
Yeah, I remember reading your post at the beginning of the Aficionado thread over there...so they have put the Stellaris over the Af, like an upgrade? I've had the impression that the Af is kinda close to the Stellaris.

No that I know of. I don't think there are any Stratus owners that ordered one, but I could be wrong. I placed an order early on but was talked out of it as after hearing the Stellaris, Marve and Craig changed the AF signature. I took that as very, very high praise for the DNA amp.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3,408 of 4,456
I pre-ordered, should get the Aficionado in October. Am planning a shoot out with Stellaris & Stratus but that's probably end of month.

Looking forward to hear your impressions! :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,409 of 4,456
Yeah, I remember reading your post at the beginning of the Aficionado thread over there...so they have put the Stellaris over the Af, like an upgrade? I've had the impression that the Af is kinda close to the Stellaris.

I didn't say that. All I said was that after hearing the Stellaires the voicing of the AF was changed. If you've read what Marv's said about the Stellaris you'd know he holds it in the very, very highest esteem. It's the amp that, if had the extra money, he would 'put next to his bedside'.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,412 of 4,456
Picked up a new ZDS to throw into the shoot-out mix. Want to hear the tuning difference between the old and new schools of EC and if either can approach the Stratus.

Those 3 are the ones I'm looking to upgrade to myself, interested to see what your conclusions are.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,416 of 4,456
They are hard to drive but the Stratus does so with ease. It's on the same level with the Woo WA5 and 600i just a different flavour. I usually listen at 4 out of 10.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,418 of 4,456
Yes. With the right glass the Stratus will make the LCD4's about as good as they will every be.

Great :)

The right glass... that's probably for the next upgrade round, when the wallet recoverd from that LCD-4-shaped whole in it. I'm a freshman Stratus owner and still getting to know it with the stock tubes, as advised by Donald himself as well, to familiarise myself with the sound and create a reference point to tube-roll against. But what glasses did you have in mind exactly to pair with LCD-4?

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,419 of 4,456
If you can, get the Ken Rad 2A3 black glass. It has dual plates on the inside, my favourite tube with the LCD-4 above the mono plates and it comes up on ebay also as G.E. sometimes for around 200$ for NOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back