DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,046 of 4,456

I'm not much of a tube roller so please take with a grain of salt but have been using Sophia Princess 2A3 mesh plates, Ken Rad vintage 5U4G, and 6N1P-EV Super Cryoset input tubes. My most used headphone was HD800 until the Utopia came in a few months ago. 

That's the combo I was actually most considering, aside the KenRad for an EML.  I was wondering about the Princesses vs the globes that @stuart1927 posted about.  

I've also head so much good about the Psvane, it is such a shame that they are having QC issues and the same goes for modern KR....

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #3,047 of 4,456
  For sure!  It is a very personal thing when it comes to rolling.  I am just looking for a starting point. 

Thanks for your suggestions! 

This may seem like a stupid question, but what amp did you buy?

I think the Western Electric 422a is the premier rectifier and Sophia Princess is the best power tube given the QC issues with the KR.  The Pearl Reflektor 6n1p cryovalve is my preferred input tube.  My headphone is the HE1000 v.1.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,048 of 4,456

This may seem like a stupid question, but what amp did you buy?

I think the Western Electric 422a is the premier rectifier and Sophia Princess is the best power tube given the QC issues with the KR.  The Pearl Reflektor 6n1p cryovalve is my preferred input tube.  My headphone is the HE1000 v.1.

The Stellaris!

I like the Pearl but they are unobtanium now - enjoy yours 
wink_face.gif

The WE may be the way to go and I have been considering one.  The Princess is not only good looking it is good sounding.  Fully bodied, rich, etc, just not the the most detailed tube around. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,049 of 4,456

The Stellaris!

I like the Pearl but they are unobtanium now - enjoy yours 
wink_face.gif

The WE may be the way to go and I have been considering one.  The Princess is not only good looking it is good sounding.  Fully bodied, rich, etc, just not the the most detailed tube around. 

Congratulations on your purchase!  I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I have the U52 that you sold me, and also a Marconi U52, as well as a Mullard GZ34.  The Mullard is my second favorite rectifier, but it may not be the best for the HD800 based on reviews of those headphones that I've read.  I don't know about the Abyss.

I think the WE will work extremely well with any headphone and prefer it above all of the others I have heard.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,050 of 4,456
For me : I'm not a tube roller but I did some experiments. Impressions above should be taken with a grain of salt considering it's impossible to swap quickly , not to mention A/B direct comparison.  

Rectifier : 1. Sylvania 5931 Jan CHS. 2. Svetlana 5U4G . the same than the Stock one but older, black plate.  Donald uses an EML 5U4G on his own Stellaris.. i'm tempted to try :) . no way I'll put 350$ in a NOS U52 though.  I have a Ken rad jan-ckr-5U4G and a RCA 5U4G . They're too warm/tubey for me. 
Input tube : Definitely 6N1p-ev .I have 3 of them and they don't sound exactly the same imo. sometimes a Miniwatt/Mazda 6bq7a for richer midrange but basically the 6N1p-ev is the most transparent . heard a few other 6bq7a and all of them are more tubey and it's something I'm not looking for. 
Power tube : MIniwatt/Visseaux 2A3 ( Sylvania Design but made in France in the 40s with some special parts) or KR 2A3 . I'm still undecided if I prefer one or the other. the KR are more open and Solid Statey but the Visseaux have something more natural maybe... I'd like to try the PSvane WE 275 though. seems those one are more reliable than the the WR2A3 and the KR. 

HD800SD and now Utopia ( not heard the Utopia/Stratus pairing yet) 

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,051 of 4,456

Congratulations on your purchase!  I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I have the U52 that you sold me, and also a Marconi U52, as well as a Mullard GZ34.  The Mullard is my second favorite rectifier, but it may not be the best for the HD800 based on reviews of those headphones that I've read.  I don't know about the Abyss.

I think the WE will work extremely well with any headphone and prefer it above all of the others I have heard.

Thanks!  I thought I had mentioned to you that I had one on order...  I've been waiting since...  Well... August 2015.  I had to check, I didn't realize it had been that long!  WOW!  Over a year now.  Time flies.

Having said that, I have no idea how much longer I have to wait.

I am actually Abyss-less now.  I may go back and pick up another pair but for now I am back on the HD800 bandwagon and have actually re-fallen in love with my HD600's! 

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,052 of 4,456
  For me : I'm not a tube roller but I did some experiments. Impressions above should be taken with a grain of salt considering it's impossible to swap quickly , not to mention A/B direct comparison.  

Rectifier : 1. Sylvania 5931 Jan CHS. 2. Svetlana 5U4G . the same than the Stock one but older, black plate.  Donald uses an EML 5U4G on his own Stellaris.. i'm tempted to try :) . no way I'll put 350$ in a NOS U52 though.  I have a Ken rad jan-ckr-5U4G and a RCA 5U4G . They're too warm/tubey for me. 
Input tube : Definitely 6N1p-ev .I have 3 of them and they don't sound exactly the same imo. sometimes a Miniwatt/Mazda 6bq7a for richer midrange but basically the 6N1p-ev is the most transparent . heard a few other 6bq7a and all of them are more tubey and it's something I'm not looking for. 
Power tube : MIniwatt/Visseaux 2A3 ( Sylvania Design but made in France in the 40s with some special parts) or KR 2A3 . I'm still undecided if I prefer one or the other. the KR are more open and Solid Statey but the Visseaux have something more natural maybe... I'd like to try the PSvane WE 275 though. seems those one are more reliable than the the WR2A3 and the KR. 

HD800SD and now Utopia ( not heard the Utopia/Stratus pairing yet) 

Thanks!  I will hunt down a 6N1P-ev for sure.  I may give the WE275's a go as well along side the SP's.  I forgot to ask - are your 800's just modded with the SD or do you also use rung liner, etc?  Dust covers?

How are you liking the Focals VS the 800SD?  

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #3,053 of 4,456

Thanks!  I will hunt down a 6N1P-ev for sure.  I may give the WE275's a go as well along side the SP's.  I forgot to ask - are your 800's just modded with the SD or do you also use rung liner, etc?  Dust covers?

How are you liking the Focals VS the 800SD?  

SD only . I have the Ruliner mod somewhere but thus far I'm fine with the SD only. Dust covers still in the cups. I went back and forth with those ones and finally kept them. 

Still Undecided for Utopia vs HD800SD. Spent 6 (!) hours to do some A/B yesterday and although I hear the difference between the two headphones the young challenger didn't me throw the Old champion by the window. To say the least :)  and it was from a Geek Out V2.  my Stratus is with Donald for some repair. Seems I did something stupidly wrong with tubes.  

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,054 of 4,456

SD only . I have the Ruliner mod somewhere but thus far I'm fine with the SD only. Dust covers still in the cups. I went back and forth with those ones and finally kept them. 

Still Undecided for Utopia vs HD800SD. Spent 6 (!) hours to do some A/B yesterday and although I hear the difference between the two headphones the young challenger didn't me throw the Old champion by the window. To say the least :)  and it was from a Geek Out V2.  my Stratus is with Donald for some repair. Seems I did something stupidly wrong with tubes.  

Sorry to hear about your sick Stratus :frowning2:  I'm sure Donald will make it as good as new!  Any idea what the total turnaround time will be?

I have to say, the HD800 and HD600 really are masterpieces.  There are other's that are all excellent but the Senn's have something so, so special about them.  Then you take into account the availability and price.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,055 of 4,456

Sorry to hear about your sick Stratus :frowning2:  I'm sure Donald will make it as good as new!  Any idea what the total turnaround time will be?

I have to say, the HD800 and HD600 really are masterpieces.  There are other's that are all excellent but the Senn's have something so, so special about them.  Then you take into account the availability and price.

Based strictly on what I have heard, I have to agree.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #3,056 of 4,456
The Sophia 2a3 globes are the best sounding tubes I've heard with the Stratus, by quite a margin. And that includes the KR audio tubes. They have a fantastic balance and for me, they are just "right" with the Stratus. I had been using a U52 rectifier but swapped in a Western Electric (edit!) 422a and things got even better. 

I know the 422a is not supposed to be optimized for the Stratus, but hell, it sounds amazing to me. 

I don't see myself changing this tube combo anytime soon. (I'm currently using the Westinghouse input tube)

I also just recently got a Norne audio Solve X balanced cable for the hd800 and it's a great match, seems to bring out even more detail and a bit more warmth.

I think I have close to perfection with my set up currently.....whatever that means!

Stuart

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,058 of 4,456
Thanks!  I thought I had mentioned to you that I had one on order...  I've been waiting since...  Well... August 2015.  I had to check, I didn't realize it had been that long!  WOW!  Over a year now.  Time flies.

Having said that, I have no idea how much longer I have to wait.

I am actually Abyss-less now.  I may go back and pick up another pair but for now I am back on the HD800 bandwagon and have actually re-fallen in love with my HD600's! 

What does that all mean for the Utopia Paul?

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #3,059 of 4,456
What does that all mean for the Utopia Paul?

It's not going anywhere yet!

I think the Utopia will have a long run and I think once some of the guys in France start opening it up and tinkering it will get even better.  Apparently the Utopia and Stellaris play well together.  

What I have found is that because I was using the Utopia/DAVE everyday I was starting to not appreciate it: it became "standard" so it started losing some of its luster.  So I switched back to my 600's and leave the Utopia as a once in a while headphone.  Going back to the 600's, however, I was surprised at just how good they are.  

Anyway, I don't know if my logic will make any sense to anyone else but the idea is I want to keep them special, not everyday.  

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,060 of 4,456
It's not going anywhere yet!

I think the Utopia will have a long run and I think once some of the guys in France start opening it up and tinkering it will get even better.  Apparently the Utopia and Stellaris play well together.  

What I have found is that because I was using the Utopia/DAVE everyday I was starting to not appreciate it: it became "standard" so it started losing some of its luster.  So I switched back to my 600's and leave the Utopia as a once in a while headphone.  Going back to the 600's, however, I was surprised at just how good they are.  

Anyway, I don't know if my logic will make any sense to anyone else but the idea is I want to keep them special, not everyday.  

Haha... I get it. I've found myself having a greater appreciation for the HD800 after spending time with another enjoyable phone with a different signature as well. I'm just a little shocked because you're the one that influenced me most into getting the Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back