DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 1, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #3,032 of 4,456

Mystery Feet have different price points.  I would talk to Ron about your objective and get his thoughts.  He offers a trial period, so you would have an opportunity to see if they solve your problem.

Wow. I checked them out. Very cool looking but probably overkill for me right now. Thanks for the info.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,033 of 4,456
As fate would have it, one of KR tubes developed a problem in the past 2 days.  I guess talking somewhat positively about them put the hex on me.  If anyone with a microphonic pair is interested in selling, please PM me.

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3,034 of 4,456

Wow. I checked them out. Very cool looking but probably overkill for me right now. Thanks for the info.

I bought my Mystery Feet for general physical isolation.  It just so happens that I was able to eliminate the microphonics through experimentation.  It probably doesn't make much financial sense to buy them just to correct a problem with tubes.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,035 of 4,456
I have come across some interesting information in my effort to have my defective KR 2a3 replaced under warranty.  First, during the past 12 months both North American authorized distributors of KR audio tubes have dropped the product line.  I was told that ever since Mr. Kron passed away a few years ago, the quality of the tubes had deteriorated and that there were too many problems requiring replacements.  One source speculated that the company will be out of business within the next 12 months.

Second, since there is no one to help me here in the U.S., I have been attempting to contact KR Audio in the Czech Republic, but I have yet to receive any acknowledgement.  My dealer in Turkey, who I know is reputable, has been unwilling or unable to step in.  In other words, I am receiving no support and my warranty is useless.

The bottom line:  I have wasted $700 and am moving on.  I put my Sophia Princesses back in the Stratus, and they sound very nice even though they are slightly less detailed and open than the KRs.  The difference is minimal.  On the plus side, the Princesses have the benefit of a lower noise floor. 

I encourage everyone to avoid KR Audio products.  There are a sufficient number of good alternatives that come without the quality problems, extra expense, and hassle.  KR Audio is no longer a reputable company.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,036 of 4,456

Bummer! I really enjoy my KRs in the Stratus and though a little microphonic when touched, it has not been a problem. I sure hope nothing happens to them.

From my experience, the Psvane WR2A3s are almost as detailed and open but I must also caution that I have had a bunch of trouble with those tubes.

And didn't we hear that KR was coming out with an even more expensive 2A3?

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,037 of 4,456

Bummer! I really enjoy my KRs in the Stratus and though a little microphonic when touched, it has not been a problem. I sure hope nothing happens to them.

From my experience, the Psvane WR2A3s are almost as detailed and open but I must also caution that I have had a bunch of trouble with those tubes.

And didn't we hear that KR was coming out with an even more expensive 2A3?

We did hear about the more expensive 2a3.  I won't go near it after this experience.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,038 of 4,456
Mystery feet:  buy a piece of hardwood about 3-4 cm thick.  Saw out 3 (or 4) square 5cmx5cm blocks and clean up the edges. Otherwise, buy some dense packing foam 3-4 cm thick and make the same sized blocks, or maybe a little bigger; you have to experiment etc.  If you hear an improvement, either way hold up on buying the commercial product.  Or, if you really have a big wallet, buy some Still Points.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,039 of 4,456
  Mystery feet:  buy a piece of hardwood about 3-4 cm thick.  Saw out 3 (or 4) square 5cmx5cm blocks and clean up the edges. Otherwise, buy some dense packing foam 3-4 cm thick and make the same sized blocks, or maybe a little bigger; you have to experiment etc.  If you hear an improvement, either way hold up on buying the commercial product.  Or, if you really have a big wallet, buy some Still Points.

I don't have a big wallet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #3,040 of 4,456
If you have some decent tools, you can also bore a large hole into the block that will exactly contain (in depth and diameter) a flat metal spike holder (if you have spikes).  You can super glue or epoxy the spike holder/cup to the wood.  This is effectively an isolation device.  The foam is an absorption device.  This also assumes you have floors or carpets into which you don't want to sink the spikes.  Maple is good.  There are also some types of exotic hardwoods that will work, but I don't know the names.  I pulled a couple of board of something that looked like Mahogany (but weighed a ton) out of a trash bin.  I made a sofa table top and lamp base out of it, and am planning to make some isolation devices of what is left as soon as I find some flat steel cups of an appropriate size to hold the spike cups.  I want the diameter to be pretty large to distribute the weight of the speakers and vibrations from it over a large portion of the wood block mass.  I make all this stuff using electrical hand tools and clamps to hold a wooden guide in place for the circular saw.  At 72, my 7th and 8th grade wood shop classes are finally being put to use!

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #3,042 of 4,456
  Out of interest, I was hoping that those of you who have done some rolling could share their favorite tube combo with the headphone they are using with that combo.

My amp shouldn't be too much longer so I want to get a jump on tubes :)

This is highly subjective but here are my picks after several years of tube rolling with Stratus and LCD3

LCD 3f:

KR 2A3/U52/Novosibirsk (NEVZ) 6N1P - Open, detailed and punchy. Very dynamic.

Psvane WE275*/U52/Novosibirsk box plate (triple mica) 6N1P - Velvety smooth and full (the triple mica 6N1P adds a little bite that may be good for LCD3s but not other phones.)

Psvane WR2A3*/EML 5U4G/Novosibirsk box plate (triple mica) 6N1P - Nice balance, dynamic but musical bite on horns and electric guitar.

*to my ear, Psvane tubes sound great but seem to have a lot of quality control issues. I had almost given up returning and replacing the WR2A3s but finally have a pair that doesn't spit and crackle. Now recently I understand the WE275s may also have some problems that, while not audible to me, may be a bad match for the Stratus. Maybe Donald will weigh in on this when he can.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #3,045 of 4,456
  Out of interest, I was hoping that those of you who have done some rolling could share their favorite tube combo with the headphone they are using with that combo.

My amp shouldn't be too much longer so I want to get a jump on tubes :)

I'm not much of a tube roller so please take with a grain of salt but have been using Sophia Princess 2A3 mesh plates, Ken Rad vintage 5U4G, and 6N1P-EV Super Cryoset input tubes. My most used headphone was HD800 until the Utopia came in a few months ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back