DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,080 of 4,456
Yep, nice tubes but not worth their very large asking price, IMO. They had excellent bass and a nice warmth, but separated the music in an unnatural way to my ears (with the HD800). for the short amount of time I heard them with the HEK, they were fantastic in the Stratus

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,081 of 4,456
Yep, nice tubes but not worth their very large asking price, IMO. They had excellent bass and a nice warmth, but separated the music in an unnatural way to my ears (with the HD800). for the short amount of time I heard them with the HEK, they were fantastic in the Stratus

Thanks!

What do you like for 2A3's with HD800's?

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3,082 of 4,456

Thanks!

What do you like for 2A3's with HD800's?

The AVVT Solids, but must also be complemented with the GEC U52 and Westinghouse 6BQ7A.  
This is my favorite combination due to the loads of presence and emotion conveyed in vocals without sacrificing much in terms of everything else.  Just sounds the most natural to me.

I also like the KR Audio 2A3 for their tendency to be a bit less sharp on the treble and heightened technicalities, but they do sound a little bit more sterile in comparison to the AVVT Solids.  Probably the most neutral tube with the Stratus.

The Shuguang 2A3C-T are decent with the HD800, but the AVVT Solids and KR Audio 2A3 are a step above. Since I haven't had a chance to hear the Sophia 2A3s, they are probably the best budget 2A3s for the HD800.

Did not like the AVVT Mesh or the EML Mesh with the HD800.  Things just sounded off no matter what combination of tubes I tried.  The Mesh plates 'meshed' well with the Fostex-X00 and TH900 though.  

That said, I preferred the HD800 to the HD800S on the Stratus regardless of tubes used.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #3,083 of 4,456
  The AVVT Solids, but must also be complemented with the GEC U52 and Westinghouse 6BQ7A.  
This is my favorite combination due to the loads of presence and emotion conveyed in vocals without sacrificing much in terms of everything else.  Just sounds the most natural to me.

I also like the KR Audio 2A3 for their tendency to be a bit less sharp on the treble and heightened technicalities, but they do sound a little bit more sterile in comparison to the AVVT Solids.  Probably the most neutral tube with the Stratus.

Did not like the AVVT Mesh or the EML Mesh with the HD800.  Things just sounded off no matter what combination of tubes I tried.  The Mesh plates 'meshed' well with the Fostex-X00 and TH900 though.  

That said, I preferred the HD800 to the HD800S on the Stratus regardless of tubes used.

Interesting!  Thank you!  Im' sorry for the barrage of questions...  but:

1) You preferred the HD800 over the HD800s.  I do too!  I assume yours are stock?

2) You mention the u52 - have you heard the Wester Electric 422A?

3) 6BQ7A, have you tried a cryo 6N1P-EV?

4) The KR's - you are talking about the 'normal' ones, correct?  Not the new HP version?

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,084 of 4,456

Interesting!  Thank you!  Im' sorry for the barrage of questions...  but:

1) You preferred the HD800 over the HD800s.  I do too!  I assume yours are stock?

2) You mention the u52 - have you heard the Wester Electric 422A?

3) 6BQ7A, have you tried a cryo 6N1P-EV?

4) The KR's - you are talking about the 'normal' ones, correct?  Not the new HP version?

No problem, just sharing my opinions.

1) Yep, completely stock as well as the stock cable.  I think a quality copper aftermarket cable like the Draug, Black Dragon, or any DHC copper cable would improve the sound.

2) I have not heard the WE 422A.  While I don't doubt that it probably sounds amazing, I took Donald's advice and stuck with a DHT vs Indirectly Heated.  Also, I figured by remaining ignorant, it would save my wallet some big bucks considering the 422A rectifier is very expensive :).  The U52 is expensive too, but hey.. it's less than the 422A and it's directly heated!

3) Yes, I have the Cryo 6N1P-EV.  It matches well with the tonality of the Mesh plate tubes that I have along with a warmer rectifier like the RCA 5U4GB, but otherwise is peaky and somewhat cold.  

4) Yes, the normal KRs.  A lot of people on this thread have reported duds or QC issues with theirs, but I purchased mine (along with the AVVT tubes) from a friend and haven't had a problem.  Granted, there are probably under 200 hours on the tubes, but they still sound great and actually has the least amount of microphonics out of all of the 2A3s that I own.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,085 of 4,456
I like you - the 6BQ7A is less costly than a cryo 6N1P-EV and the same goes for the u52 vs 422a 
beerchug.gif

The KR's are a scary thing for me for exactly the reason you state.  I don't mind biting the bullet and buying them, but I want them to work.  I have a lot more confidence in something like a NOS RCA mono plate from a reputable seller.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3,086 of 4,456
  I like you - the 6BQ7A is less costly than a cryo 6N1P-EV and the same goes for the u52 vs 422a 
beerchug.gif

The KR's are a scary thing for me for exactly the reason you state.  I don't mind biting the bullet and buying them, but I want them to work.  I have a lot more confidence in something like a NOS RCA mono plate from a reputable seller.

No reason to take a chance with KR.  If you have a problem (which seems to be likely with tubes manufactured in the past 3 years or so), the tubes have to be returned to the Czech Republic.  Good luck getting a response from the company.  It took me 2 weeks to hear back from them.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #3,087 of 4,456
This is my issue.  I can't seem to hunt down a pair of solid plate AVVT's and it seems some have had issues.  Considering how rare they are, that doesn't bode well as the company doesn't exist.  

I'm still leaning towards the RCA's in that case, despite their price.  The AVVT's seem like the spiritual successor to the RCA mono plates and the RCA's sound be very, very reliable. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3,090 of 4,456
Here's the post with explanation:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609800/dna-stratus-2a3-amplifier-first-impressions/1365#post_10096916

When I corresponded with Donald prior to buying my 422a, he told me there was a possibility I would hear a hum due to the design issue referenced above.  I am pleased to say that I have not had any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back