DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,311 of 4,434
Oldie but goodie 5U4G: The Tung Sol VT-244 with round mica, double center-pole supports and top-getter...

Super brief impressions: Great, great bass with nice clarity in the midrange and top end. Supreme smoothness with the HD800 and solid-plate EML 2A3 tubes. Easily in the same class as the other VT-244 5U4G's. Best ever 5U4G? Have to do more listening.... :)

Update: Ha, ha. I'm going senile. I just realized I had this same tube a year ago and posted my impressions of it. Apparently, I liked the CKR better. Hmm. I guess I'm benefitting from an improved set up (OR5, EML Solid Plate 2A3) because I like Tung Sols this time around. Very musical sounding.

Update#2: Just plopped in the CKR-5U4G. Yep. More treble energy, more detail on the Ken Rad CKR compared to the Tung Sol CTL. Sometimes too much. I like the relaxed top end of the CTL with brighter hp's like the HD800 and HE560, especially with the EML 2A3.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,314 of 4,434
I'm so eager... 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,316 of 4,434
It does seem to be the consensus that it's best with them. I can also vouch for Donald being a great guy to purchase from. Unfortunately I couldn't go for it yet. Apparently the next batch is out September.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #2,317 of 4,434
  Thinking very hard on the Stratus.  This will be my last attempt to get the HD800s to sound good.  

I don't think it will change a HD800 hater in HD800 lover though . No amp will do that. 
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,318 of 4,434

I don't think it will change a HD800 hater in HD800 lover though . No amp will do that. 
tongue.gif

Hard to say, I put the hd800 in the closet for over a year while owning schiit equipment (Llyr and Mjolnir along with thier Gungnir dac).  Couldn't take listening to the them with that equipment....just far too fatiguing.  Come a year past and decided to see what people's been raving about, invested in Liquid Glass from Cavalli and the Stratus.....these made the hd800 sing with the right tubes (more so with the liquid glass).  Now I have my hd800 more or less permanently attached to the Stratus as my go to combo with that headphone.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,319 of 4,434
@Sensui123 . I think more probable that your tastes changed during the year you didn't use your HD800.   I'm one of those guy who claim that the HD800 could sound very differenty depending of the associated gear but I really don't think any amp will add to the HD800 the mids Preproman is looking for. 

btw, my Sonett helped a lot to bring some soul to voices so  I'm pretty confident for the Stratus. 

Did someone compared extensively The Stratus to the best Solid State amp for bass extension ?  In my book , bass extension is not a strong point of the HD800 , nor of any tube amps I know  but what about the Stratus ? 

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,320 of 4,434
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed Donald may finish with mine by the end of this month. I ordered it the beginning of February so that's only been four month's but still..... got to be patient! I think if I were contemplating ordering one I wouldn't waste a lot of time. I have read more positives about this amp and the 800's than any others I have researched if that helps.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #2,323 of 4,434

Well Paul, you have a pretty damn good one right there with you.  A true wire with gain amp..  What's the pros and the Cons on for both?

Says the man with a INT-30A 
wink_face.gif

I prefer the Stratus to the Dynahi with the HD800's but both are truly excellent.  Oddly enough I have never really sat and AB'ed them.  I could make an evening of it.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #2,324 of 4,434

I suppose that depends on what you feel the Solid State amp to beat is.

Sorry , didn't understand what you meant.  
redface.gif

In my (limited) experience , good solid state amp I tried won over tubes for bass authority/slam and extension (both low and High) . I wonder how the Stratus performs with the HD800 on that point.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back