DNA Sonett Review
May 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #391 of 661
I bought myself a birthday present.  
biggrin.gif

I've been eyeballing those for a while now and had a hard time believing they were the same as another online vendor asking twice as much for one.  Coughthetubestore...

But, I bought one without hesitation this time.

HBD to me.  
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #392 of 661

Quote:
I bought myself a birthday present.  
biggrin.gif

I've been eyeballing those for a while now and had a hard time believing they were the same as another online vendor asking twice as much for one.  Coughthetubestore...

But, I bought one without hesitation this time.

HBD to me.  
beerchug.gif

Well what a great birthday gift.
And Happy Birthday TUBE you!
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #397 of 661
Finally my tubestore 6H30P is currently powering the Sonett (about 20 h).  :wink:

Quote:
Donald, for this new amp will you do a loaner/review program?
I would really like to hear a guy like Skylab review and praise this amp like I know he would the Sonett.

With all due respect to Skylab, and I do generally take note of many of his opinions, I'd much rather see a loaner/audition program primarily focused on *current* Sonett owners. There is much to be said for continuity when it comes to describing the characteristic of audio components.

Will the 2A3 amp, with a wire/connector change, still be compatible with the HD600, HD800, and Beyer T1?

May 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #398 of 661

Quote:
Finally my tubestore 6H30P is currently powering the Sonett (about 20 h). 

The 6H30P-DR?

I just got mine from Partsconnexion.

This is tempting.

[size=1em]

[size=1em] NOS-75126[/size]

[/size]
QTY ADD
[size=1.2em] GZ34 (CV1377 / 5AR4), Mullard, Full Wave Rectifier, 8 pin, White Box, Great Britain, Singles[/size]

$119.95 $119.95 pcX USD Price

Then take 15% off that...

May 24, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #399 of 661
My friend is considering purchasing the Sonett and is wondering if it would work well as a pre-amp.  He'd pair it with his Threshhold S 350 power amp.  If so, it would function as an active/powered pre-amp, right?  Thanks for your help.

May 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #400 of 661

Quote:
The 6H30P-DR?

This is tempting.

[size=1em]

[/size]
QTY ADD
[size=1.2em] GZ34 (CV1377 / 5AR4), Mullard, Full Wave Rectifier, 8 pin, White Box, Great Britain, Singles[/size]

Not sure which one I have now, but its the pricey one from the tube store. Will be ordering a spare from Partsconnexion. If anything I guess this shows my attitude towards my Sonett. :big grin:

May 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #401 of 661
I wish it did but no it doesn't work as an active/powered pre-amp.

Quote:
My friend is considering purchasing the Sonett and is wondering if it would work well as a pre-amp.  He'd pair it with his Threshhold S 350 power amp.  If so, it would function as an active/powered pre-amp, right?  Thanks for your help.

May 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #404 of 661

Quote:
Finally my tubestore 6H30P is currently powering the Sonett (about 20 h).  :wink:

Quote:
Donald, for this new amp will you do a loaner/review program?
I would really like to hear a guy like Skylab review and praise this amp like I know he would the Sonett.

With all due respect to Skylab, and I do generally take note of many of his opinions, I'd much rather see a loaner/audition program primarily focused on *current* Sonett owners. There is much to be said for continuity when it comes to describing the characteristic of audio components.

Will the 2A3 amp, with a wire/connector change, still be compatible with the HD600, HD800, and Beyer T1?

Thanks for these suggestions. I like to let the general public listen, form, and share their own opinions about my amps. Everyone has different listening preferences with headphones and amp synergies being very personal. That's why there's more than one flavor at the ice cream stand
beerchug.gif
It's an interesting idea to have a loaner available for original Sonett owners.

The 2A3 amp is designed for low efficiency headphones like the K1000, HE-5/6, and LCD-2 that need higher gain, power, and low output impedance. With "regular" headphones like the HD800, T1, D7000 which are much more efficient, the volume becomes loud quickly as you turn up the volume knob, limiting useful range. I'm investigating the possibility of an additional, 1/4" output with 1/2 the voltage. This will reduce the gain by 6dB and get back some range on the volume control. Will keep you posted.

May 25, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #405 of 661

Quote:
The 6H30P-DR?

This is tempting.

[size=1em]

[/size]
QTY ADD

Go for it, you will not regret it.  Once you have the GZ34 and burn in for around 250 hours, you will wonder why you did not purchase it earlier.   That brings the Sonett to another level.  I still keep my metal based GZ34, just in case I ever get the Sonett back.  I kick myself now when I sold the sonett, I sold the pair of the DR tubes, I should have keep one.

Another note, the GZ37 is slightly better than GZ34, more airer and balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back