DNA Sonett Review
May 25, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #406 of 661
That sounds really amazing Donald!

An additional 1/4" output with 1/2 the voltage is really a great way of bringing flexibility.

For me that is really decisive in regards to where i will spend my amp dough this year.

The big question for me is how does this amp sound with the HD800/T1 in relation to the Sonett..

Have you tried the LCD-2 when designing this one or just the K1000?

May 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #407 of 661
I originally designed it with the K1000 for evaluation and refinement. After I felt satisfied with the fidelity, I tried it on the LCD-2. The results were good however I could hear some residual hum due to the AC heating on the 2A3 filaments. I then added DC heating circuitry and now it's very quiet even through regular efficiency headphones. At a recent meet I got to try the HD800 and LA7000 with the 2A3 amp and both sounded good with it. I didn't bring along a Sonett for A/B comparison to the 2A3.

May 25, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #408 of 661

Quote:
Go for it, you will not regret it.  Once you have the GZ34 and burn in for around 250 hours, you will wonder why you did not purchase it earlier.   That brings the Sonett to another level.  I still keep my metal based GZ34, just in case I ever get the Sonett back.  I kick myself now when I sold the sonett, I sold the pair of the DR tubes, I should have keep one.

Another note, the GZ37 is slightly better than GZ34, more airer and balanced.

I own a GZ37 but have hardly used it safekeeping it for a good purpose. I thought that the Sonett could only use GZ34/5AR4 tubes. Have you used other rectifiers other than the GZ34/GZ37?

May 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #409 of 661
I tried both EML 274B and 5U4G, they works fine but Donal does not recommend it. To me, the Mullard GZ34 metal base sounds the best on Sonett, more controlled bottom end while retain the natural smooth mids, especially on female vocal.

May 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #410 of 661

Quote:
Go for it, you will not regret it. 

Can I hold you personally responsible for the lack of funds in my bank account?  
tongue_smile.gif

May 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #413 of 661
.... and it showed up today.  Hoping for the Mullard name on the glass I was a little disappointed.  After some reading I guess these passed for the military, and because of that show no name brand.  The glass says f 32 B4G1 maybe, and it's upside down.  Blackburn factory.  Might be 60's to 70's vintage.  7 notch plates and copper lined.

I read here: http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm
And here: http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55977

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #415 of 661
Well, I've got the stock JJ, a Shuguang and a Sovtek rectifier.  Using the JJ tube made me the most happy and comfortable to the point of more or less just enjoying the music.  The Shuguang has a edgy sound to it and the Sovtek is in the middle of the two, but still leaning towards the slightly cold side.

I have the stock Sovtek driver, an Electro-Harmonix and the Reflektor super tube.  I feel the Electro tube improves upon the stock Sovtek tube in a few ways.  A little warmer balance and a slight tighter bass and maybe a slight improvement in transparency.  Nothing drastic at all, but between it and the Sovtek, I preferred it.  Enter the Reflektor.  Simply put, there is no doubt in my mind that Reflektor tube improved upon every part of the amp's presentation.  Like I just opened a window.  Like I took away a layer of grunge.  Like I unwrapped a great food item from saran wrap and can taste and smell it now, or something like that.  A whole 'nother level in performance.  Not a baby step like the Electro tube did, but a clearly hearable improvement.  Bass kicks had more heft, soundstage had more precision and deeper depths, sibilance lessened, ride cymbals had more clearly defined drum stick hits, and everything in between.  Absolutely worth the money.

I accumulated 50 hours on the dot with the Reflektor tube, then put it away and had the Sovteks in both spots.  I listened for three sessions and decided they're good together, but lacking a bass impact and overall clarity and smoothness the Reflektor brought to the system.

Enter the CV1377 tube.  Two hours of white/pink noise burn in, then sat down and gave it a whirl.  What the Reflektor tube does, this tube does also, only to the next level.  Whatever I said about the Reflektor, the CV1377 did again!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

The bass heft and impact improvement, a midrange clarity opened up, the smooth top end didn't get smoother, but there's a more defined shimmer to the cymbal, the imaging and depth became a bit more solid.  Again!  And that's with low hours on it.  

Right off the bat I was enjoying the music more than trying to critically find what's wrong.  I listened all night long, and about two hours past my bed time.

Mandatory equipment for the Sonnet in my opinion.  Don't even bother with the other tubes, go straight to the Reflektor 6H30P-DR, and the Mullard GZ34/5AR4/CV1377.

Now the rectifier tube is at 16 hours and 30 minutes of use, and the output tube is at 66 hours and 30 minutes.

That was supposed to be much shorter than what it ended up being. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #416 of 661
Great, told you will love it and it is worth every pennies. It take the Sonett to another level, a perfect match with Senn HD800.

Now, sorry for your wallet. But you will glad you empty your wallet, cause there isn't another tube can improve your setup. (Mullard metal base GZ34 will improves another few percents but to me, it is not worth it for the price difference)

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #419 of 661
decided to give the Sonett a go with a TWag'd T1 that should be coming in soon.  curious how they will pair.  i was going through old pages and someone said it didnt have enough power to drive them as well as he wanted.  i hope this isnt true!

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #420 of 661
Last night I finally hit 200 hours on the Mullard and the Supertube.  
biggrin.gif

At about hour 125 I put my Sony ES CD player back in removing the old Theta Cobalt DAC and Airport Express, while still using old MIT Terminator 2 cables.  I've used them for about 15 years now, and know what they bring to the table.  I kept reading that they were a great cable for the price in their day, but I always had a problem with their lack of clarity.  When I also had Kimber Silver Streaks the MITs always seemed muddy in all regards.

Hour 172 I went to Signal Cable Analog 2 with the Eichmann copper bullets and burned them in for the recommended 50 hours before I even turned the amp back on.  And it is as if I had been listening in a dank, smoked out foggy room before with the MITs.  It is much easier for me to be there than it ever was before.  Honestly, sometimes I just sit there in awe of not only what I'm hearing, but the visual side also.

Fantastic!

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back