DNA Sonett Review
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #181 of 661
Yeah, the guy that helped me (not Robert) said that it was 120V, I don´t have any experience at all with tubes so I couldn't say if the tubes was worn or not. I also only tested it with low gain, my friend tried it with high and thought it sounded better. But I thought that it had enough power at low gain that I didn't bother to try high gain.

Maybe you should send them a mail to control the tubes, because demonstrating it as it was 2weeks ago when I tested it is surely a loss.

Otherwise the build quality was great. I really like the volume control.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #183 of 661
Thanks, I sent a note to Robert, suggesting he give the amp a listen and replace the tubes.

I'm working to get him a proper 230V unit this autumn.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #184 of 661
Getting my Sonett soon! I have been using a Headroom Portable Desktop Amp. I generally prefer solid-state, but I see people saying that the Sonett is not "tubey." Review coming up..

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #186 of 661
Got the Sonett.My first impression is the "speed" of this amp, sort of details on the high end and very tight bass. Bass drums are thrilling, not at all like any tube amp that I'm used to. I'm using Sennheiser HD580 'phones right now.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #187 of 661
^^ We demand more impressions
dt880smile.png

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #189 of 661
Congrats on your purchase! The amp is one of the best kept secrets in headphone-amp-dom, easily modded for improved SQ, and solid, bedrock engineering. The simplicity of its design is its greatest strength. It does require some common sense as to headphone/IEM matching, but with the right ancillary components (e.g. DAC, cabling, and AC) it is right at home as one of the cornerstones of a high-end system. It is in mine!

This one really needs a good warm-up period, which is characteristic of most tube amps. I leave mine on for a minimum of one hour before listening, and notice improvements as long as 4+ hours later. So, make sure it's plenty warm! 

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #191 of 661
An hour?  Whoops, maybe that's why I wasn't floored by it, I only let it warm up for 20 minutes or so.  I thought it was quite good, but I felt comfortable enough letting it go.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #193 of 661

Quote:
which version did you purchase.

Single-ended.

To add to my impressions, I've been listening to Alison Kraus, and what really impresses me is the "emotional honesty." It doesn't seem right to say that the amp has "good vocals" or a "good midrange" because in a sense the midrange doesn't stand out as something separate from the whole impression of the music. It seems more accurate to say that I notice all the changes in mood and expression of her voice.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #194 of 661

[size=medium]
Well put! That's what happens for me too. You start out with the intent to describe the DNA Sonett and instead end up listening to the music. 
[/size]

Quote:
Single-ended.

To add to my impressions, I've been listening to Alison Kraus, and what really impresses me is the "emotional honesty." It doesn't seem right to say that the amp has "good vocals" or a "good midrange" because in a sense the midrange doesn't stand out as something separate from the whole impression of the music. It seems more accurate to say that I notice all the changes in mood and expression of her voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back