DNA Sonett Review
Sep 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #168 of 661
back on topic. 
wink.gif

got my Sonett yesterday.  it's a beauty.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #170 of 661
Nice setup! I need to take a pic of mine soon.

Enjoying my AT-ESW10JPNs out of the Sonett as I type this :)

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #171 of 661
I had the chance too compare the Sonett against my RWA Isabellina HPA.

I used this setup:
Netbook -> USB -> Isabellina -> Sonett
So both used the same source, but the sound was very different. The Sonett sounded like the Isabellina but on some heavy drugs, added distortion and EQ. The Sonett sounded anything but clear and neutral. The bass sounded louder at some stages, the tweeter had much distortion and the sound overall was very very very warm. It sounded more like some kind of DSP than a amp. Both the Isabellina and my netbooks built-in soundcard gives you the feeling that the sound is pure and nothing is added, but on the Sonett, a lot of things where added.

Headphones used: HD800 and Alessandro MS-PRO

I can understand that some people might like/prefer the Sonett, as it sounds "different". Just like the ones that uses PS1 as a CD-player.

I can also add that I didn't like my Isabellina better because I owned it, I actually wanted the Sonett to sound better. And I have a friend that also had a go on the same setup, and he also preferd the RWA.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #173 of 661
anybody know if the 6H30-DR Supertube makes a big difference with the sonett?
i'm still using the JJ rectifier (5ar4), and Sovtek 6H30-EB.
sound is nice, but as should be expected, i'm wanting to get the most out of the sonett.
anybody done some serious tube rolling yet?

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #174 of 661
I would not say a big difference but it is a noticeable difference.  Try to get your hand on a Mullard GZ34 too, much better than the JJ one.

There isn't much choice on the driver tubes, I only tried the stock and DR.  On the rectifier tube, I have tried Mullard GZ34, metal based GZ34, Sophia Princess 274B, EML 274B, and EML 5U4G mesh.  Out of all of them, the Mullard GZ34 deliver the best bang for buck.  Becareful with Sophia Princess 274B, EML 274B, and EML 5U4G mesh, they work but not recommended by Donal.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #177 of 661
X2. There are differences. Definitely go for the Mullard GZ34. 

Quote:
I would not say a big difference but it is a noticeable difference.  Try to get your hand on a Mullard GZ34 too, much better than the JJ one.

There isn't much choice on the driver tubes, I only tried the stock and DR.  On the rectifier tube, I have tried Mullard GZ34, metal based GZ34, Sophia Princess 274B, EML 274B, and EML 5U4G mesh.  Out of all of them, the Mullard GZ34 deliver the best bang for buck.  Becareful with Sophia Princess 274B, EML 274B, and EML 5U4G mesh, they work but not recommended by Donal.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #178 of 661
The Sonett is sold direct. In which store did you hear it? From your description, something sounds off (perhaps the tubes were worn and needed replacement) because the Sonett measures very flat frequency response with low distortion across the audible spectrum.

Quote:
I had the chance too compare the Sonett against my RWA Isabellina HPA.

I used this setup:
Netbook -> USB -> Isabellina -> Sonett
So both used the same source, but the sound was very different. The Sonett sounded like the Isabellina but on some heavy drugs, added distortion and EQ. The Sonett sounded anything but clear and neutral. The bass sounded louder at some stages, the tweeter had much distortion and the sound overall was very very very warm. It sounded more like some kind of DSP than a amp. Both the Isabellina and my netbooks built-in soundcard gives you the feeling that the sound is pure and nothing is added, but on the Sonett, a lot of things where added.

Headphones used: HD800 and Alessandro MS-PRO

I can understand that some people might like/prefer the Sonett, as it sounds "different". Just like the ones that uses PS1 as a CD-player.

I can also add that I didn't like my Isabellina better because I owned it, I actually wanted the Sonett to sound better. And I have a friend that also had a go on the same setup, and he also preferd the RWA.

Quote:
Don't really know. Probably stock, as it was in a store I tested it.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #180 of 661
I've known Robert at Audio Concept for several years. Audio Concept has one of the original units with smaller power transformer built for 120V 60Hz mains. He operates it with a step-down transformer to convert from 230V to 115/120V. The problem is the mains are still 50Hz which is saturating the power transformer cores, causing them to audibly hum. I'm working to exchange it with a proper 230V 50Hz unit.

I know he used to leave the amp powered on throughout the day. and he's had that amp for over a year now, so I'm sure the 6H30 tube is worn out and needs replacement. Your description is the classic symptoms of very used tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back