DIY Headphone Response Plots
Mar 18, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #136 of 191
Sony Z300
attachment.php

(click for photo)

Mar 18, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #138 of 191
Ugh! Before I knew about even HeadWize, let alone Head-Fi, I thought I had liked the Sony G72!
very_evil_smiley.gif
But now that the response curve for that 'phone is up, I couldn't believe that I listened to that piece of crap!!
mad.gif

Using the "-10dB" down from reference average output as being the "half-perceived-loudness" point, I can now clearly see that the G72 has no bass extension whatsoever below 40Hz, whereas other 'phones can produce such low-bass with relative ease. A strange dip at about 5kHz and a big peak at about 14kHz make for a very fatiguing listen.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #139 of 191
we need to make an index of all these catagorized by brand. there are a ****LOAD of graphs here...
make it easier to read them too..90% of the graph is up to 1khz, then like a cm of anything above that.. kinda..compressed :p

Mar 19, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #143 of 191
jessica00 and CrzyAzn, have you read the very first post in this thread, under the section "Interpretation of the Graphs"? That may clear things up a bit, especially re: the frequency scale, which is Hz/10, not Hz!!! ie. Up to 1kHz is 60% of the graph, not 90%.

Eagle_Driver, thanks for your comments on the G72 Streetstyle. As you know, getting a good close fit is crucial for the low end, but having plenty of (past, definitely past
biggrin.gif
) experience with a G63 Streetstyle, I'm sure that wasn't the problem here. In other words, I agree with you that these things have no low end extension.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #145 of 191
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
i'd still like to know HOW these were done, processes + hardware + software

Did you check out the link on the first post of this thread?

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #146 of 191
Also, j-curve, I noted the weird tonality of the Sony MDR-Z300, which is sold as the MDR-V300 outside of Japan. Woolly mids and grainy highs, and mostly mid-bassed with little real extension. That Z300/V300's bass response starts dropping down once you get down below 100Hz! And that's not to mention that they have the same overboosted mid/upper bass and lower midrange as the rest of the MDR-Z###/MDR-V### line. The Sennheiser HD 212Pro has better low-bass extension than the MDR-V300 for the same or slightly higher price here in the USA! On the other hand, the MDR-Z300 actually sells for about half the price of the HD 212Pro over there in Japan.

Well, s*** happens.

Mar 22, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #148 of 191
I thought I might elaborate a little. I printed out all the graphs and have been obsessing over them.
confused.gif

The Sony V6 graph looks very descriptive... upward sloping midrange and some peaky highs for that bright, analytical sound, a thin mid-to-upper bass also contributing to the coldish sound, and then that BIG low bass hump... I switch over from my D66 eggos to the V6s every now and then just to get that LOW BASS, despite how much more musical the eggos are.

The D66 eggo curve really looks quite flat to me. The minor dip in the mid-bass area might be seen as more accurate than the Senn HD580s and its mid-bass hump. Still, the overall balance of the HD580 Senns pleases me more. Yet, with the D66 eggo highs, midrange and upper bass, I often think, now that's as close to the real sound as I've heard. And I get lost in the music very quickly. I also see some low-bass emphasis in the eggos that I've heard, but of course it's dwarfed by the V6 LOW BASS HUMP, and it's well out of the way of the mid-to-upper bass and low midrange. And the one flaw of the eggos... they come up shy in the mid-bass, causing the bass overall to sound a little recessed and contributing to the brightish but smooth and detailed sound. The CLEAN sound. You could view the eggos as similar to the HD580s but with the mid-bass hump having been surgically removed, leaving a little mid-bass cavity. This curve reminds me of the sound, so musical and clear but bass shy and bright.

The reference Sennheiser HD580s are my only phone against which I have no complaint on extended listening... the choice of using them as a reference is fully justified, IMHO.

The Sennheiser HD497 curve surprises me a little. The actual sound of the HD497s really strikes a chord with me. That dip from 1000 to 4000 hertz looks to be a pretty serious defect though... but I've often thought the quite nice bass and highs on these cans came at the expense of a somewhat recessed midrange... this graph confirms it. Still, for me the sound is much better than the graph.

Based on these graphs I'm very interested in the AKG 240DF and 240S, and the Sony CD380s.... any comments on these? Are the Sony CD380s ultra-bright like the Sony CD580? Which of these two AKGs has better bass punch?

Anyway, thanks again j-curve, these graphs are just just beautiful.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #149 of 191
how making this thread a sticky? (if only because then i don't have to keep searching for it) :d (well, i guess you can think of it as a faq).

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #150 of 191
omg this is soo sexy...thankz for the hard work
do u mind taking a pic of your equment you are using to get all these graphix?

again, nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back