DIY Headphone Response Plots
Oct 1, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #167 of 191
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
It would be interesting to diagram a new headphone, then compare it to one that has been burnt in, and lastly compare it to one that has been burnt in and has been playing for an hour.

My guess is that, except for natural differences between pairs of the same model headphones, they would look just about the same. Anybody read a white paper from a headphone manufacture that discusses "burn-in"? Obviously, there are not many white papers from headphone mfgs (and there probably is a reason for this), but certainly they don't write about "elves" or "unicorns".

JF

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #168 of 191
they may look the same, but are they matched to the amp?

if they are not matched to the amp, they will sound different.

if the minimum (nominal impedance at 1 KHz) does not match the measured static impedance of the headphone output, as the amp drives the headphone, the resistance will change due to greater heat caused by voltage/current. when the new headphone nominal headphjone impedance matches the amp static impedance synergy will occur.

Oct 1, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #169 of 191
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
they may look the same, but are they matched to the amp?

if they are not matched to the amp, they will sound different.

if the minimum (nominal impedance at 1 KHz) does not match the measured static impedance of the headphone output, as the amp drives the headphone, the resistance will change due to greater heat caused by voltage/current. when the new headphone nominal headphjone impedance matches the amp static impedance synergy will occur.

I think you have a point there. I understand, too, that the impedance of the transducer changes with frequency. So, this means the amplifier has a slippery surface to play into...

JF

Oct 16, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #170 of 191
J-Curve,

where's the CD780 that everyone is going crazy over?

I can definitely see some promise in the AKG K240S as it seems, for the most part, flat in the midrange.

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #171 of 191
Hi wallijohn. The CD780 is in there somewhere.

Try here.

Perhaps you searched for MDR-CD780? I think I left out all the MDR- and ATH- prefixes.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #172 of 191
Despite a good-looking curve, I think I know what's wrong with the Sony CD2000 (it is clearly inferior to the Sennheiser HD600 to my ears):
  1. The treble on the Sony CD2000 is sparkly (grainy) compared to that of the Sennheiser HD600. Note the rather steep dip at about 8kHz on the CD2000 compared to the dip on the HD600.
  2. The low end on the CD2000 is a bit hollow compared to that on the HD600. Note the gradual roll-off in the mid-bass region on the CD2000, while the HD600 remained relatively flat in that region.
Also, judging by the curves on the current "bionetic" Sennheiser headphones - HD490, HD500, HD570 and HD590 - all of those bioneticrap Senns are clearly inferior to the older Senns that they were supposed to have replaced. Just look at the HD590's curve: recessed upper mids, noticeable low-end roll-off, a rather large hump in the upper bass and peaky treble response - those HD590's should have been priced a lot cheaper than they actually are! The HD570 is even worse than the HD590: the upper mids are even more sucked-out, and the highs are as grainy as any headphone. And the other two bioneticrap Senns are too dark in their presentation to even compete at their price point. In my opinion, the HD570 and HD590 should have been named the HD510 and HD515, respectively.

Mar 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #174 of 191
Yes, K1000, please.
k1000smile.gif

I like that you're adding pics of the phones too.
Awesome job.

-Ed

Apr 25, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #178 of 191
Psst... I don't think j-curve got a good seal on that one. I heard them at a head-fi meet and they sounded pretty good. Check out headroom's measurement:

Headroom HD25 FR Graph

Pretty good for a lightweight high-isolation closed phone. So cheer up.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Urgh, I wish now that I'd never browsed through this thread...
frown.gif
HD25-1

Apr 25, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #179 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Psst... I don't think j-curve got a good seal on that one. I heard them at a head-fi meet and they sounded pretty good. Check out headroom's measurement:

Headroom HD25 FR Graph

Pretty good for a lightweight high-isolation closed phone. So cheer up.
cool.gif

Ahh. The HD25-1 graphs weren't listed in the measurement lists... instead I found something, well, interesting:

http://headroom.headphone.com/graphC...are+Headphones

That HD25-SP graph looks very similar to the 25-1 graph seen here, in fact almost identical. What's up with that?
eek.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #180 of 191
Not quite following your post, but in any event, if it helps, here's the new headroom HD25-SP graph, which is significantly different, but similar, to the new headroom HD25-1 graph:

Headroom H25-SP graph

Edit: Okay, I get your post now. That was the old headroom HD-25SP graph. Another case of a bad seal, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Moral of the story: go with the new Headroom graphs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Ahh. The HD25-1 graphs weren't listed in the measurement lists... instead I found something, well, interesting:

http://headroom.headphone.com/graphC...are+Headphones

That HD25-SP graph looks very similar to the 25-1 graph seen here, in fact almost identical. What's up with that?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back