DIY Earbuds
Feb 10, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #797 of 4,723
As promised, just finished my second mod with HTC shells :)

HTC_finished.jpg

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #799 of 4,723
I was sent this drill with some MX500 shells and just twist it by hand at the entry to widen enough for those mmcx sockets. It is 3mm just enough to let you twist in the sockets.

20190215_164139[1].jpg

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #800 of 4,723
My yet first MMCX attempt on my best EMX500 DIY is a big success !!

I can now enjoy all my high-end MMCX cables on it, so happy!

I will do some more pictures later with my different cables ✌️
This one is a (very soft) NiceHCK 8 cores Pure Silver cable

Cheers' :)

MMCX_project_cabled.jpg

MMCX_project_zoom.jpg

MMCX_project_dismantled.jpg

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #802 of 4,723
Did you want to assemble a 3-Pole (L+/R+/GND) cable, or a 4-Pole (L+/R+/GND/Mic) cable, to use with your LG V30?

The right-angle 3-Pole Neutrik plugs I ordered, were P/N: NTP3RC-B, from Zack Electronics, in California, since they had the best price.
https://www.zackelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=NTP3RC

Neutrik doesn't sell a 4-Pole version, but there is a 4-Pole plug available from Amazon. (Note: It doesn't have the same construction quality as the Neutrik.)
https://smile.amazon.com/KK-AS3b-4P-Streight-Connector-Straight/dp/B01LXALOHN

The 3-Pole Neutrik jacks I ordered, were P/N: AG NYS240BG, from Zack Electronics.
https://www.zackelectronics.com/neu...gold-w-solder-terminals-max-cable-od-4mm.html

Neutrik doesn't sell a 4-Pole version, but there is a 4-Pole jack available on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Headp...ale-Jack-Socket-Connector-Solder/202434778478

Hope this helps!
3 pole was my initial thought, as my idea was to make a small adapter to connect my earbud cables to so when i use my phone as a dap it won't disconnect in my pocket as the v series phones tend to do when the plug gets nudged around in the socket.

Thanks this is great, appreciate the response!

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #803 of 4,723
Mar 8, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #804 of 4,723
It would be awesome if we could share mini reviews of drivers from Ali as a guide for others that are looking for one.

I am now looking for drivers to my "Piano Forte" project using wooden shell:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16mm-earphone-shell-Green-sandalwood/32837762672.html

Looking for drivers that can be driven mainly from phone or pc (iPhone, iMac) or bluetooth cable (if I will be able to use mmcx connectors in shell). I originally thought that I would use Vido drivers but made my mind as these shells are quite expensive and would use as good driver as possible. Looking for detailed non fatiguing sound with good bass and warmth that would suite those beautiful wooden shells :)

Probably going to buy these two: 32 ohm and 64 ohm

Does anyone have experience one of these? Or is it worth buying something more expensive? Like those dual diaphragm? Or 150 ohm? How difficult is it to drive 150ohm earbud driver? Any other recommendation? @HungryPanda @DBaldock9

Thanks

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #805 of 4,723
It would be awesome if we could share mini reviews of drivers from Ali as a guide for others that are looking for one.

I am now looking for drivers to my "Piano Forte" project using wooden shell:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16mm-earphone-shell-Green-sandalwood/32837762672.html

Looking for drivers that can be driven mainly from phone or pc (iPhone, iMac) or bluetooth cable (if I will be able to use mmcx connectors in shell). I originally thought that I would use Vido drivers but made my mind as these shells are quite expensive and would use as good driver as possible. Looking for detailed non fatiguing sound with good bass and warmth that would suite those beautiful wooden shells :)

Probably going to buy these two: 32 ohm and 64 ohm

Does anyone have experience one of these? Or is it worth buying something more expensive? Like those dual diaphragm? Or 150 ohm? How difficult is it to drive 150ohm earbud driver? Any other recommendation? @HungryPanda @DBaldock9

Thanks
It would be pointless for us to rec you drivers we have heard in mx500 shells as that piano forte design would have a huge effect on the frequency response.

Without knowing what that shell would do to the sound, it's impossible to give advice.

I think someone used that shell before with emx500 drivers, that's all I know.

Best thing I can say is to try vido first as its cheap, then work from there.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #806 of 4,723
It would be pointless for us to rec you drivers we have heard in mx500 shells as that piano forte design would have a huge effect on the frequency response.

Without knowing what that shell would do to the sound, it's impossible to give advice.

I think someone used that shell before with emx500 drivers, that's all I know.

Best thing I can say is to try vido first as its cheap, then work from there.
Yeah I know that the shell will change a lot but I still believe that at least general technical capabilities will stay on true for both shell types. I’ve seen that EMX500 build and it’s description leads me to believe that the recommendations based on MX500 shell types will still be at least somehow relevant to me.

I am also generally interested in comparing those available drivers as others that I won’t use for Pianos will go into MX500 shells for their new happy lives full of music :)

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #807 of 4,723
Yeah I know that the shell will change a lot but I still believe that at least general technical capabilities will stay on true for both shell types. I’ve seen that EMX500 build and it’s description leads me to believe that the recommendations based on MX500 shell types will still be at least somehow relevant to me.

I am also generally interested in comparing those available drivers as others that I won’t use for Pianos will go into MX500 shells for their new happy lives full of music :)
Ok in that case I recommend RY4S, kube V1 if you want to salvage drivers from those.

Or just for separate drivers check out yuming store or chitty store on aliex press. Lots of cool higher impedance drivers, I got a 400ohm driver from there.

You can buy emx500 and mx760 graphene drivers in 5/10 pack for a good price too. Those are good drivers to diy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back